Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crumlin Shopping Centre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

are you talking about Ashleaf Shopping Centre (your link) or Crumlin Shopping Centre near the garda station? Crumlin Shopping Centre - the ghost town of shopping centres, the shopping centre that the celtic tiger never got near, you can almost SEE the tumbleweed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Think he's mising up the two. Ashleaf seems to be doing well enough, with Dunnes as anchor tenant and good chemists, book shop etc. Crumlin SC withered over 20 years. There were landlord issues if I remember correctly, and all the tenants left one by one. I'm sure someone has all the details. Was never upgraded and was surpassed by other newer centres, e.g. ILAC Centre, Tallaght, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Crumlin Shopping was meant to be knocked down, hence none of the shops renewing their rents back then, the place used to be booming till places where told not to bother staying there as it was closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

This is the place beside Sundrive Road Garda Station yeah?

This is the place beside Sundrive Road Garda Station yeah?

Yup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭mvt

Think it was something along the lines of Dunnes own the site,want to knock it down and redevelop but Tesco wont give up their lease and the whole place has just been left in a stalemate
    Pretty depressing place to shop atm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Yeh sorry Im talking about the one with Tesco open in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

mvt wrote: »
    Think it was something along the lines of Dunnes own the site,want to knock it down and redevelop but Tesco wont give up their lease and the whole place has just been left in a stalemate

That is right

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Tom1991

remember when i was a kid goin up there
    there was the three dunnes and tesco there
    the pound shop ,tuthills,hector greys,the newsagents,
    the two banks,the three hairdressers ,three coffee shops
    two butchers,Rtv, a womans clothes shop,satellite sports,molloys
    the pharmacy,wigodrs,esb shop,abrakebabra n prob more im forgettin
    sad to see the state its in
    i though tesco had bought the site but dunnes wont relinquish there lease.dunnes dont even bother opening on sunday anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

crumlin SC is a kip now wouldent shop there anymore:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Tom1991 wrote: »
    i though tesco had bought the site but dunnes wont relinquish there lease.dunnes dont even bother opening on sunday anymore

Yeah there was a great little Golden Discs there too.The day the bulldozers move in and demolish the kip will be the thing thats happened to it in years.Its an eyesore at this stage.Oh and it had a great swimming pool beside it too with sauna's and a little gym.Closed down now what a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

mvt wrote: »

I wonder if they still want to redevelop it? Can't imagine that anyone has the money for re-development now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I opened my first savings a/c in the Irish permanent in CSS.......just saying :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

realies wrote: »
    I opened my first savings a/c in the Irish permanent in CSS.......just saying :-)

Snap except Bank Of Ireland. :)

I lived near there briefly as a kid and one of my childhood memories was being there and it always being full of shoppers - even up to the late 80s.

First real part time job was in the Dunnes there doing the evening shift after school to get money for mod threads and drink. :)

Bought my first album (Kings of the Wild Frontier by Adam and the Ants) in the Golden Discs there as well.

Sad to see it these days. As a poster on another boards forum said, it's one eerie place now. Probably one of the few old school shopping centre left along with Northside.

I remember to there was a disco bar over the kentucky fried chicken, forget the name of it. I think it started with the letter B.

Is the swimming pool & gym still open ?

Is the swimming pool & gym still open ?

Think it is but very short opening hours, there was a big campaign to keep it open there a while back.

I remember to there was a disco bar over the kentucky fried chicken, forget the name of it. I think it started with the letter B.

Baron Johns? Or I think that was the pub.

Rough as a bear's arse IIRC. :)

the newsagents,

They used to do the nicest 99's in Dublin I do recall, that used to be my treat after having to endure a few hours in Crazy Prices with the mother when I was a kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Was in the electrical shop in the Crumlin SC a few years back and some guy followed me in there and shouted 'are you the 98FM fugitive?'

• Registered Users Posts: 27 TangoVictor 31

stovelid wrote: »
    Baron Johns? Or I think that was the pub.

Rough as a bear's arse IIRC. :)

Was then given a little makeover then became Cahoots for a while. Rough isn't the word. Was a great pub though, only pool table in a pub around that area as far as i can remember, but thats were most of the trouble came from fights over games.

Dunnes had planning permission granted last year for demolition and rebuild of both the centre and pool site but nothing has happened yet. Its sad to see it the way it is now. It could be a great centre again, it was up until the late 90's and held its own against other centres. It wasn't a lack of customers that closed the shops in it, it was all lease issues. Dunnes wanted to open a major store by knocking units into each other and taking in the mall between the two sides, but the crazy prices/tesco store had the anchor agreement for grocey going back to when the centre was built before Dunnes took over the centre so they couldn't exceed the sq ft of their store. This is why they want to knock the centre in its current configuration and rebuild to have Dunnes as the major anchor but as i understand it tesco are trying to stay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 TangoVictor 31

Think it is but very short opening hours, there was a big campaign to keep it open there a while back.

Campaign was to keep Windmill Road pool open. Swimming pool and gym at shopping centre closed about 2 years ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yeah there was a great little Golden Discs there too.The day the bulldozers move in and demolish the kip will be the thing thats happened to it in years.Its an eyesore at this stage.Oh and it had a great swimming pool beside it too with sauna's and a little gym.Closed down now what a shame.
    Most of Crumlin is an eyesore tbh.

If it is, then most of Dublin is tbf.

Bit unfair MM, Its a huge housing estate built in the 40,s with some lovely fine parks and some very pleasant area,s,it also has a lot of very old history to it especially crumlin village with tremendous work done by the local crumlin heritage society.

Ps I am not from crumlin nor do I or have ever lived there.:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I think the only thing you missed out was the bookshop that was near the Golden Discs.

I’ve a lot of good memories of the CSC. I’d help my Ma with the shopping then get a comic in the news agents opposite the Quinnsworth and a cake at the bakers next door. And I remember Santa arriving by Helicopter one year. Sad to see the state it’s in now.

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    And I remember Santa arriving by Helicopter one year

:) What happened his reindeers ? :)

In the early 80,s it was always jampacked & the carpark was a nightmare,it will be intresting to see what happens when all the legal carryon gets sorted out,Its in a great location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

It is a great location. I can see a new shopping centre cropping up at some stage. Thank god it won't be a load of apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spdmrphy

eco2live wrote: »
    That is right

I heard exactly the same about the old Ballymun S.C. Nice work, Tesco!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I still shop there every week and am still baffled as to why leases to the coffee shop, butchers, hair salon etc aren't offered. This is a little gem of a shopping centre and could be thriving again. There's probably 50+ jobs for locals waiting if this could be re opened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 jackiedaniels

That shopping centre is like a graveyard for businesses only Dunnes and Tesco left. I heard that they are going to demolish it as soon as tescos lease up....dont know how true that is but what a shame I remember my mam bringing us to see santie there when we were kids and it was always packed.And always seemed much bigger than it actually is...

Advertisement