Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SAS Operating in Ireland (Republic of)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Lorelei wrote: »
    The scenes of supposedly decent human beings kicking and ripping 2 members of their own species apart and acting in a way wild beasts such as sharks, big cats etc act you don't find sickening unless of course you classify yourself and such people as the same as wild animals. Interesting.
    I don't classify those who committed the act as I can quite understand their feeling that way as I have done myself but was able to control the feelings.
    I cannot believe that any human cannot be sickened by those sites.
    Maybe though you don't belong to the same species as the rest of us Charlemont!!
    Its not nice to see no. I think they were taken away and killed, not killed by the crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Funfair wrote: »
    The funeral was for a young man murdered the week before at the Gibraltar 3 Funeral

Wrong. The funeral was for one of the victims of Stones attack, an IRA volunteer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭ Virginia Juicy Vine

charlemont wrote: »
    Not sickened at all by it..

That is probably the most extreme comment I have ever seen on Boards.

I would think pretty much every human would be sickened by that violence, regardless of who the victims were. Pretty scary to think people are de-sentised to that sort of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

The funeral was for a young man murdered the week before at the Gibraltar 3 Funeral (Who were also Murdered). A car comes backwards around a corner at high speed into the funeral path and you say your suprised at the way people acted?

A lot of people on here really haven't a clue about what went on in the troubles and the shameful way so call irish people support the BA or SAS on here is sickening
    how can you say that the gib three were murdered,when the IRA acknowleded that the three were on active service;meaning they were on a mission to strike against a british target;,at the time of their deaths they made threatenings moves against the SAS, the tip off that they intended to set of a remote control bomb,came from a member of the IRA [double agent denis donaldson] who had been at that time, the the IRAs contact with the basque terrorists,you tell the spanish, french,british,or the people of gib that they were murdered,

getz wrote: »
    how can you say that the gib three were murdered,when the IRA acknowledged that the three were on active service;meaning they were on a mission to strike against a British target;,at the time of their deaths they made threatening moves against the SAS, the tip off that they intended to set of a remote control bomb,came from a member of the IRA [double agent Denis Donaldson] who had been at that time, the the IRAs contact with the Basque terrorists,you tell the Spanish, French,British,or the people of gib that they were murdered,

In fairness Getz, i don't think funfair has his facts straight at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

Lorelei wrote: »
    "Backwards at high speed" you were there?
    Sickening the way people support the people responsible for the carnage amongst civilians on Bloody Friday in Belfast, or Omagh or Claudy.
    Your big friends in the RUC hierqarchy and MI5 had more than a little hand in Omagh and Claudy. Police Ombudsman Nuala O'Loan didn't recommend " the setting up of a new investigation team independent of the PSNI " for nothing. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/1707299.stm
    The "young man" whose funeral it was was supposed to be a soldier according to the beliefs of people like you, soldiers get killed which is why I don't class the M62 coach bombing which included a couple of civilians or the mini bus with Lisburn soldiers returning from a chartiy match.
    The, as you refer to, "young man" was Caoimhín Mac Brádaigh, an unarmed IRA member killed while trying to chase and disarm Stone.
    And please ensure that we do not remembet the Para sergeant who threw himself on top of a suitcase thrown into the public room of the RUC Springfield which was filled with civilians from the area. I think we can savely assume that those people were not particularly keen on the British Army.

What was the name of the Provo/UVF soldier who did a similar thing? Oh there wasn't one!
    " the Para sergeant who threw himself on top of a suitcase thrown into the public room " :rolleyes: And I suppose he had been helping little old ladies across the road just a few moments before :rolleyes:

Caoimhín Mac Brádaigh had more guts and integrity in his little finger than that scumbag from the cowardly, murdering ba$tards known as the Parachute regiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Your big friends in the RUC hierqarchy and MI5 had more than a little hand in Omagh and Claudy. Police Ombudsman Nuala O'Loan didn't recommend " the setting up of a new investigation team independent of the PSNI " for nothing. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/1707299.stm

The, as you refer to, "young man" was Caoimhín Mac Brádaigh, an unarmed IRA member killed while trying to chase and disarm Stone.

" the Para sergeant who threw himself on top of a suitcase thrown into the public room " :rolleyes: And I suppose he had been helping little old ladies across the road just a few moments before :rolleyes:

Caoimhín Mac Brádaigh had more guts and integrity in his little finger than that scumbag from the cowardly, murdering ba$tards known as the Parachute regiment.
    i take it you take your holidays with the boys in columbia ?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

gatecrash wrote: »
    Wrong. The funeral was for one of the victims of Stones attack, an IRA volunteer.

Gatecrashing a post without actually reading it is a pet hate of mine

The funeral that stone attacked was the Gibraltar 3 funeral and that's what I said :confused:

In fairness Getz, i don't think funfair has his facts straight at all.

And you’re basing this assumption on misreading peoples posts is it?

Gatecrashing a post without actually reading it is a pet hate of mine

The funeral that stone attacked was the Gibraltar 3 funeral and that's what I said :confused:

Re-read your post.

you quoted this post
    Originally Posted by da_hambo View Post
    Regarding the two plain clothes BA soldiers (whatever their unit), I think everyone will agree that the footage shown on Reeling In The Years of their murder is sickening. The way so many people descend on the car is disgusting akin to rats imo, and disgracing this island of ours yet again. Thank God, those troubled days have somewhat turned a bit better.

and replied with this
    The funeral was for a young man murdered the week before at the Gibraltar 3 Funeral (Who were also Murdered). A car comes backwards around a corner at high speed into the funeral path and you say your suprised at the way people acted?

A lot of people on here really haven't a clue about what went on in the troubles and the shameful way so call irish people support the BA or SAS on here is sickening

• Advertisement

And you’re basing this assumption on misreading peoples posts is it?

Misreading? I think not.

i take it you take your holidays with the boys in columbia ?
    No I'm going for a pint in the pub on the Andersontown Road unoffically named the Corporal's Rest in honour of Howes and Wood killed nearby :D

at the time of their deaths they made threatenings moves against the SAS

A come on... you serious? Threatening moves ? They were shot down in cold blood,the 3 were unarmed at the time of the shooting which in any law abiding Country is murder.One SAS guy stood on Sean Savage's chest and emptied his gun into his face. Eye witness reports said the other 2 had there hands up when they were shot by the SAS.

It was either Murder or a War crime!! take your pick but the rules of engagement was broke that day or any other day a Government allows unarmed men/women be shot with there hands up even if they were on Active service.

This is the reason the crowd acted the way they did when the corporal's car came at high speed in reverse straight into the funeral. Tension on both sides of the border was at his highest at that time. For the guy that asked was I there NO but I'm old enough to remember it.

Both incidents were barbaric Thankfuly we have moved on from it all..

Re-read your post.
    Misreading? I think not.

Try read it again slowly this time :)

A come on... you serious? Threatening moves ? They were shot down in cold blood,the 3 were unarmed at the time of the shooting which in any law abiding Country is murder.One SAS guy stood on Sean Savage's chest and emptied his gun into his face. Eye witness reports said the other 2 had there hands up when they were shot by the SAS.

It was either Murder or a War crime!! take your pick but the rules of engagement was broke that day or any other day a Government allows unarmed men/women be shot with there hands up even if they were on Active service.

This is the reason the crowd acted the way they did when the corporal's car came at high speed in reverse straight into the funeral. Tension on both sides of the border was at his highest at that time. For the guy that asked was I there NO but I'm old enough to remember it.

Both incidents were barbaric Thankfuly we have moved on from it all..
    Not only that, but while they were obviously dead they continued reloading and empty bullets into them to desecrate the bodies. But what could you expect from a regiemnt that draws half it's members from the Parachute regiment. Naturally enough, such acts wouldn't be described as "sickening, horrendous and appalling" by our wee SAS fans now will they. The deaths of Howes and Wood took the smirk of their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

Nope, good on them for emptying their clips - can't take any chances with terrorist scum. The jury at the inquest returned a verdict of lawful killing by a majority.

after witness's were intimated and ridiculed in the British papers :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Lads, less of the nonsense posts please. There really is no need to attempt to wind each other up, you're all capable of far better posts than what's on display in this thread.

Theres a news report with some footage, frightening stuff, albeit an understandable reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Not only that, but while they were obviously dead they continued reloading and empty bullets into them to desecrate the bodies. But what could you expect from a regiemnt that draws half it's members from the Parachute regiment. Naturally enough, such acts wouldn't be described as "sickening, horrendous and appalling" by our wee SAS fans now will they. The deaths of Howes and Wood took the smirk of their face.

I don't support the actions of the SAS or the PARAs, both were scumbags but I also don't see how you can take the side of the IRA ASU which were also in essence planning murders of not only BA members who weren't serving in NI but it would also injure / maim / kill civilians at the change of guard.

Both sides involved in any form of unjustified violence during the Troubles were scumbags, whether it was Bloody Sunday or Bloody Friday, the Bally Murphy massacre or the Remembrance parade bombings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Sickening..but from the mobs perspective it was an unmarked car with armed men coming out a window with a pistol. Its not a justified reaction, but you could say understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 HappyHammered

I was 17 when i first saw that footage and it's had the same impact on me today as it did then.................shock, numbed, sickened,
    disillusionment, pity, sorrow.

As a 17 year old it made me question alot of things and it opened my eyes to what we are capable of when pursuing a certain ideal.

I still think we can achieve a 32 County Irish Republic but not like this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,043 ✭✭✭twinytwo

RMD wrote: »
    I don't support the actions of the SAS or the PARAs, both were scumbags but I also don't see how you can take the side of the IRA ASU which were also in essence planning murders of not only BA members who weren't serving in NI but it would also injure / maim / kill civilians at the change of guard.

Both sides involved in any form of unjustified violence during the Troubles were scumbags, whether it was Bloody Sunday or Bloody Friday, the Bally Murphy massacre or the Remembrance parade bombings.

But one is an illegal terrorist groups... compared to what is supposed to be a well trained first class fully professional army...

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

A come on... you serious? Threatening moves ? They were shot down in cold blood,the 3 were unarmed at the time of the shooting which in any law abiding Country is murder...

For example - If your a known terrorist - al-Qa'ida/IRA whatever. And you're near your acting suspcious - have no business being where you are and you turn towards me and put your hand in your pocket - i'd blow your head clean off your shoulders... 100 times over.

Cold blood? And uh, admitted to being 'active' ira (hot blooded hatred right there) and having a bomb etc - semtex, scoping out the area with the intention to rip fathers mothers and brothers apart isn't a threatening move?

With attitudes like this - I'm delighted things ended the way they did at Gibraltar.

Whats that @Funfair? After witnesses were intimidated by british newspapers? Jeez. Nothing like the 'boys' from Armagh knockin on yer door huh?
    Yawn...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

twinytwo wrote: »
    But one is an illegal terrorist groups... compared to what is supposed to be a well trained first class fully professional army...

That makes no difference to my point, whether you're a terrorist force or an elite forces unit of a well respect army if either were involved in unjustifiable violence, those involved were scumbags simple as, regardless of whether they were IRA or BA members.

The IRA weren't just a regular terrorist force, they are regarded as one of the most successful terrorist forces to take on an army of a first world country worldwide. I don't support or want to glorify them in anyway, but some of their statistics are incredible compared to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

Theres a news report with some footage, frightening stuff, albeit an understandable reaction.

Why did this happen? We're they rouge soldiers trying to shoot people? I don't get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

mtb_kng wrote: »
    Why did this happen? We're they rouge soldiers trying to shoot people? I don't get it?

read page 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

This may help to enlighten you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milltown_Cemetery_attack

In the section Aftermath it gives a brief of the events which you see in the video

Another sad chapter in a very long and sad book

Basically a funeral was attacked a few days earlier and the loyalist killed the persons whose funeral is in that video, thus when a car with armed people sped into the procession people assumed it was the same thing again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

crazy hyped time... mutsa been nuts..
    I never understood how those soldiers were discovered..
    I mean if yer a British soldier in such a place/scene, you try to keep as low a profile as possible (or not be there in the first place)
    They musta been intelligence gathering and were razzled by accident by some passer by..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement