Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Spin, 14th June

• 13-06-2008 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Considering there may be some sore heads after tonight -I expect you all to be there, don't be shy! I propose 11am start time tomorrrow in Harolds Cross (at the dog track), and 11.15 in Dundrum.

Nothing mental, just up to Enniskerry and back again via Killiney. One hill, nice easy pace, will be grand :)

I'm in, who else is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

How many km's is that.

I won't be joining you yet but I want to know what I need to build up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 jwwie

wish i could join, but ill be on holiday for the next 2 weeks! ill be joining up with you next month, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

HC-> Dundrum is about 5km,
    Dundrum -> Enniskerry about 15km
    Enniskerry via killiney -> Dundrum about 20km, so about 40-45km all in

I'm out. Been battling a chest infection for the last few days, so won't make the drinks tonite either (even turned down a visit to the Porterhouse Brewery on wed evening cos I was sick! :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

kenmc wrote: »
    HC-> Dundrum is about 5km,
    Dundrum -> Enniskerry about 15km
    Enniskerry via killiney -> Dundrum about 20km, so about 40-45km all in

I'm out. Been battling a chest infection for the last few days, so won't make the drinks tonite either (even turned down a visit to the Porterhouse Brewery on wed evening cos I was sick! :( )

The beer'll clear your lungs out! Sure come down and sit in the corner looking miserable :)

Hope you get well soon though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Will be watching the rugby in the morning so won't be able to make it. Sounds like a nice comfortable spin though. I would encourage anybody who hasn't been out for a spin yet and is thinking about it to try this one - nice easy start to meet some of the lads

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'm in.

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    How many km's is that.

I won't be joining you yet but I want to know what I need to build up to.

It's really fairly gentle, and we're all tired from the 200 (at least I am -legs still feel heavy!), so there won't be any speed records set... you have to bite the bullet some time, so make it tomorrow -will be fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I will try to make it out although I'd be on for a slightly different route maybe. Up to Glencree as per the W200 route and then back over the military road to Dublin wouldn't be too taxing (or indeed much further than Killiney Hill) while being a nicer more rural cycle ;-)

Under 43km from Dundrum measured on Google Maps The climbing back over the Military Road from the Glencree side is very gentle compared to the Dublin side too- slight steep bit after Powerscourt Waterfall and then a less steep bit by the Liam Horner memorial, and that is pretty much it. Very nice descent down by the Hellfire Club to Rathfarnham.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

I'd be up for that.

I really don't think I'm ready for it yet.

I've only got to start on the bike this week. I did 15km on Tuesday morning and again this morning before work.

I plan to commute to work which is a 40km round trip, so when I do that for a couple of weeks then I'll meet up.

I might try this one of the days next week, I should be able for it.

• Advertisement

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    I really don't think I'm ready for it yet.

I've only got to start on the bike this week. I did 15km on Tuesday morning and again this morning before work.

I plan to commute to work which is a 40km round trip, so when I do that for a couple of weeks then I'll meet up.

I might try this one of the days next week, I should be able for it.

Fair enough, though I still think you'd be fine with it, out to Enniskerry is really not that bad at all, and you can turn round there and it's all downhill home really!

For those of you going out on the beer tonight you should drink vodka instead. If you drink vodka it doesn't affect your muscles and joints as much as beer does.

Don't worry I'm not a dancer but my father-in law's a guitarist and he tours around the world with different shows. He was speaking to the dancers when they were on the piss and they say it works.

So enjoy yourselves and drink plenty of vodka!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭romperstomper

i'm in. anyone got a link to where the dog track is so i can find it (will be coming from kilbarrack)

i'm in. anyone got a link to where the dog track is so i can find it (will be coming from kilbarrack)

Just fill in where you're coming from :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Looks like I might be out now. What started out as a niggle in the back of my throat this morning is quickly turning into what appears to be full blown flu. I'll probably only pay a flying visit to the boozer tonight to pick up my gear, as all I want to do now is go home, get under a blanket and feel sorry for myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

This sounds good. Anyone up for Sally Gap/ Wicklow Gap or both? Might regret saying this, but have been on the bus all week and feel I need the exercise- Tiny, Raam, Roger?

Cadex wrote: »
    This sounds good. Anyone up for Sally Gap/ Wicklow Gap or both? Might regret saying this, but have been on the bus all week and feel I need the exercise- Tiny, Raam, Roger?
    Cadex- either or both of those would be good with me. Personally I wouldn't mind heading out through Eniskerry over Djouce then taking a right up Sally Gap (hopefully retrieving my lost water bottle at that point ;-) and if we feel good at the top I wouldn't veto a descent to Laragh and up the Wicklow Gap, back by the N81 or environs. Have never been from Wicklow Gap the N81 way before, but Google is putting it at around 116km or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Cadex wrote: »

Sorry, dude, I gotta stay off the bike for a few days. Tweaked my knee on Sunday. Enjoy the spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Anybody got todays cycling stats ? I was going to joins you guys today but i wasnt sure if i was ready yet so decided to do glasnevin - howth hill - glasnevin and managed to shave 10minutes of my personal best. Must be that lucozade sport bottle i was carrying.

Will definitely be joining next weeks spin. Only problem is ive never attempted any major climbs. Wicklow100 "climbs" and howth hill is all ive managed so far. Will probably do the first hill then turn back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I think I might have seen you guys on your way out to Enneskerry ... but I am not sure ... so many cyclists going up and down that route. How many of you were there today?

There were three of us today -me in pink, blorg in black, and cadex in luminous green.

As for stats, we split in Enniskerry -the others going on up towards Sally Gap, and I headed for the coast road and Killliney. My numbers were:

Time: 2:08.22
    Dist: 51.31km
    Avge: 23.9kph
    Max: 51.4kph

Yes that was you I saw, I remember the pink jersey.

I was with 3 other girls, in my The Police Synchronicity Jersey, coming from Enniskerry Direction. I did a big wave ... i had the feeling that was you guys.

My stats ... 69.65KM / 1 Cup of tea / 2 Chains problems ( gotta fix that this weekend)/ 2 Japanese tourists wanting to take pictures of me and my friends Jerseys ...

Nice easy spin :)
    There were three of us today -me in pink, blorg in black, and cadex in luminous green.

As for stats, we split in Enniskerry -the others going on up towards Sally Gap, and I headed for the coast road and Killliney. My numbers were:

Time: 2:08.22
    Dist: 51.31km
    Avge: 23.9kph
    Max: 51.4kph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Hi - Tiny, looks like you were right, should have gone with you! I was grand and strong out of Enniskerry and up to Djouce but getting up it made the niggle I had in my knees from the W200 become something much more and I decided that at the junction where we were going to go to Sally Gap that I shouldn't risk it more. Blorg went on up Sally Gap (in search of his elusive ONCE bottle- hope he found it). In the end I made my weary way home down Long Hill and via Enniskerry cursing my knee. Dist: 84.33, Time 3:23:27, Ave: 24.9, Max:99.9 - must have met someone with a wireless router or something to mess it up - I'd say max was about 60! I'd say the Gilet is more luminous yellow for what it's worth! Must look into the set up to see what's causing the knee problem.....Thanks for spin anyway, Tiny & Blorg.

Cadex absolutely tore up that hill out of Enniskerry, waiting for me at the top. I managed to keep up with him going up the hill to Djouce Wood but he unfortunately had a recurrence of knee problems which forced a turn back for him at Roundwood.

I went on up to Sally Gap (found my ONCE bottle) and at the top was still feeling good so headed down to Laragh (lost my ONCE bottle on the descent), had a sandwich, up the Wicklow Gap, over the lakes and back on the N81. Two brief spots of rain but nothing terrible.

Time: 4:50.40
    Dist: 121.85km
    Avg: 25.1kph

Caroline_ie - Saw you all right on the road to Enniskerry, gave you a wave (as you looked like "serious" cyclists ;-)

As I have just managed to transport my ONCE bottle into another even more remote part of Wicklow I will be planning another spin out that direction soon- I think maybe I'll head out to Roundwood the easiest way and head up to Sally Gap from Laragh. A bit frustrating on the water bottle front: I was lucky to find it too, I only saw one other bottle (they were obviously cleaned up!)

Other than that a nice day and good to see Tiny and Cadex.

2008-06-14.png

Yes that was you I saw, I remember the pink jersey.

I was with 3 other girls, in my The Police Synchronicity Jersey, coming from Enniskerry Direction. I did a big wave ... i had the feeling that was you guys.

My stats ... 69.65KM / 1 Cup of tea / 2 Chains problems ( gotta fix that this weekend)/ 2 Japanese tourists wanting to take pictures of me and my friends Jerseys ...

Nice easy spin :)

Yeah, I think I remember seeing you guys -we need to get together sometime and go the same direction!

Yeah, I think I remember seeing you guys -we need to get together sometime and go the same direction!

Blorg thanks for waving at least 2 out the 4 were 'serious' cyclist, me being one of them, although not as good as the other serious one.

I love my Police Jersey ...

You guys would be a bit bored if you were to cycle with us ... we can be slow at times and I am not good on hills .. however, since i have signed up for the 160k of the Sean Kelly tour .... in just 71 days ... you'll see me heading towards the WW more often starting earlier today... I really need to train hard ... hopefully I can build up a bit more fitness and strengh on hills, drop a few lbs and make myself and my bike proud ...

Tomorrow, I am thinking of training on the Howth hill ... nice and easy ... and monday, maybe back in the WW again and alternate between, WW / Howth/intervals in the Phoenix park ... Oh boy ...

:confused:

You guys would be a bit bored if you were to cycle with us ... we can be slow at times and I am not good on hills ..

I dunno about that -I'm crap at hills too myself, and the faster guys always wait at the top for me :)

Sounds like a good training regime though, sure you'll be great for the Sean Kelly!

Advertisement