Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's that piece...?

• 10-11-2003 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

This (stickied) thread is for anyone who wants to ask questions for example about advertisements using a classical piece of music which they would like identified etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Hey all, was just wondering if anyone knew what this piece was? i found a flash video with it (though it's a techno mix thingy) but it more or less is the song that i'm looking for the name of. It's Here I'm pretty sure it's Russian. I was watching a program about Russia and the homeless kids and how the army took on a certain amount of them and I had heard the song when they were marching so i'm guessing that it's Russian.
    Thanks,
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

that........was.......freaky!!!!!!!!
    i will never forgive you for subjecting my fragile psyche to that sight, but i will tell you what the music is.
    it's a piece called "the cavalry of the steppes", an old russian folk song.
    now i'm going to go and hide in a darkened room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

lol thanks very much, i thought the animation was funny c'mon the pixel people!!! hehe thanks again,
    Rob

<edit> "beh i really should have put this post into the sticky lol :P sorry Éomer of Rohan didn't notice it until it was too late :p feel free to merge this topic with it if you like :)" </edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭demac

Hi all,
    I was lucky enough to be at the RWC in Australia. Prior to all the matches a piece of classical music was played jsut before the national anthems were sung.

Does anyone know the name of this music ?

I purchased the RWC 2003 Audio CD but the tune wasn't on it.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

i'll go out on a limb here and guess that it was "World In Union", the Rugby World Cup anthem, although, not having heard the piece, i could well be wrong....
    anyway, the best known version was sung by Kiri TeKanawa. hope you find what you're looking for!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Éomer of Rohan

Yes you should but that is ok, I will merge them - if I can work out how lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

identification of above appreciated

Maybe telling us where you heard it would be more useful because all I could decipher from that was a beat without tone - which is probably all anyone could make out either.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Originally posted by emmemm
    identification of above appreciated

I'll hazard a guess that it might be Beethoven's 5th Symphony. Sort of fits the bill...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

Knew there were some smart guys on boards.
    Many thanks.
    Sorry for my complete ignorance but I enjoy most of the popular classics.
    Anyone any favs I might download?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by cerebus
    I'll hazard a guess that it might be Beethoven's 5th Symphony. Sort of fits the bill...
    Heh, that's what I thought when I read the post title too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Many thanks.

You're too kind :)

I'm fond of Dvorak's Cello Concerto* - take a listen to this short snippet from the second movement. If you're interested/keen to hear more, I'm sure you'll find it somewhere. Both du Pre and Tortelier have excellent recordings available, so see if you can track down one of those.

* Lots of reasons - a peformance of this was the first concert my wife (a cellist) and I went to together when we started dating, for instance! We are going to see Yo-Yo Ma perform this and Elgar's Cello Concerto in May - we can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

hey that was pretty cool. i may look into it..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

whats the one they have in all those action movie adverts it goes something like (clears throat) HEEHEE HAAHAA HEEHEE HAAHAA and so on....:(

heh

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Carmina Burana???

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭snoopish

Many thanks.

Don't really know what you're into but if you like piano music you should download "big my secret" by Micheal Nyman.It's an amazing piece! one of my favourites to play! Or if you fancy something a little heavier you should try Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique Fouth movement! let me know what you think

Michael Nyman's pieces all sound so similar. I suppose it really depends on whether or not you like his 'sound.'

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭snoopish

do you have the soundtrack to the film the piano? by no means do his pieces sound similar, however they do have a scottish theme running through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

highly rec.

obvious,mozart,beethoven,etc
    classical: no messing
    stravinsky - rites of spring
    mozarts -requiem
    bach - mass in b minor
    prokofiev-sym no.5
    rodrigo - invocation y danza (wow)
    de falla /any rec: arr by Paco de lucia

jazz:armstrong,ella,billie holiday,parker,coltrane,miles,sonny rollins
    no messing
    wes montgomery, boss guitar/any
    jobim covers / various
    michael brecker / any
    oscar peterson with jim hall guitar
    sonny rollins / best of
    john mclaughlin with defrncesco and elvin jones -after the rain (wow)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hi,

I'm not sure this is going to work, but if anyone can access the file pointed to by this link, can you identify the clip playing in the background of the Ralph and Ted sketch?

http://s2.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=E163DCC42426C2BCB88B0EA607625D0A

Cheers,
    P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

For the last 3-4 years the FAI play some classical music as Ireland and the opposing team come on to the pitch at Lansdowne Road for senior soccer matches. Does anybody know what it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 marty_mart

Hi,

there's a nice piece of music being played in the current EBS ads on radion and television. Its a female voice piece, does anybody know what its called?

Thanks,
    marty_mart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

OK. I'm looking for a classical piano piece that I heard years ago on an episode of, ehem*, Tom and Jerry. OK, yeah yeah, I know. But does anybody know what I'm on about? Tom (the cat) was basically playing this piece at a concert, and Jerry (the mouse) was just trying to piss him off while doing his performance.

Does anyone know the piece I'm looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Helpful forum this one :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Thats what I was thinking. I've since found the piece I was looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thebionn

The piece that Marty Mart is talking about might be by Death in Vegas, off the Scorpio Rising album. Also used on the Lost in Translation soundtrack. I think its on an ESB ad, not ESB, although that might be a typo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Some of you may hear this sometime and wonder what it is.

It's Polovtsian Dances from Prince Igor by Borodin and it's lovely.

http://www.lessontutor.com/bf_borodin.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭the_only_Ali

Heya!
    Did anyone here watch the BBC2 programme "Auchswitz"? It was on during their Holocaust Memorial series. Anyway there was a piece of classical music playing throughout the programme, violin and piano. It was amazingly good, so if anyne knows what it was, it would be VERY helpful if yu let me know!
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Scholastika

Howya. I'm new to this but I thought I'd just let you know-

Whoever is looking for Nyman's "The Piano" soundtrack; better to actually buy a Naxos recording (like 8 quid or something, really cheap) of 'The Piano Concerto' by Nyman. It's a re-hashing of all the music from the movie, so its even better.

Regarding tunes you hear in ads-I bet everybody's familiar with Prokofiev's "Dance of the Knights" from his ballet Romeo&Juliet (but nobody knows what its called etc). Its always in ads for perfume and that. Check it out and such.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Scholastika

By the way, that BBC Documentary-haven't seen it but the music is probably by Shostakovich. It usually is in those cases (he's really good!..check out his 5th symphony/8th string quartet).

Advertisement