Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining British army

• 22-07-2014 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I am joining the British army as soon as my fitness is on par and I find it ridiculous that in this day and age I will have to hide that fact in case the wrong person got that information, when I run into old friends or people I haven't seen in a while and the question pops up " so what are ye doing with yourself?" And I say ah I'm on the dole can't find work I feel like a ****, I am proud to be Irish and I will be proud to be a British soldier but I will not be proud to hide my profession, perhaps a light hearted discussion could follow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Don't be stupid, just keep it to yourself. It's fine for you, you'll be living and sleeping in a guarded barracks but your family and friends back home won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭mcko

Good luck most people could not care less but you will always get a small minority who will. Look after your self and family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Good luck - just tell them you're working in the UK, doing a bit of security work- it won't be a lie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭wannabegard

just a quick question mate. What do you reckon is the best way recruitment centre to go to for someone from the south. I am considering signing up. Maybe going for a cadetship. I live about 4 hours away from the nearest centre to me and I am not too sure where to go or even to drive up myself or use public transport. Any advice on this would help! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Rogers830

just a quick question mate. What do you reckon is the best way recruitment centre to go to for someone from the south. I am considering signing up. Maybe going for a cadetship. I live about 4 hours away from the nearest centre to me and I am not too sure where to go or even to drive up myself or use public transport. Any advice on this would help! thanks
    it's in enniskillen you can get a greyhound bus but just give them a call first, you can find the number on the website but it's easier just to apply online as you will be back up for an interview, best of luck

• Advertisement

are you in now lad or still waiting to get in?

I got deferred at selection but I'm going back up so I'm hoping to be in for March, I was fairly unfit when I started so it took me a while to get the minutes off the run, good luck with it bud it's a great career choice

What does the fitness and assessment centre entail. How long does the application take?

3 minute icebreaker ( army and chosen regiment knowledge, why you want to join, about yourself etc.) medical, aptitude test, 40kg bag lift, two 20kg petrol can lift 150 meters, 2.4km run, team tasks, grenade throw, interview... (over two days) it's different for everyone you usually get a call back in two weeks after you apply and they'll give you a date for first interview

if i were to join today. Could i get my fitness up to the required standard by the time i got called for selection. What could i do to prepare for the rest?

• Advertisement

what's your fitness like? How long does it take you to do a mile and a half? and what job do you want to go for in the army?

I would be confident with the strength aspect of the physical. However i struggle with running. I completed the Irish Army Cadet physical test after scoring a run at around 11 minutes 10 seconds so thats not great. I plan on reapplying this year and giving it another crack.

It really depends on whether or not i decide to enlist as a regular or apply for sandhurst. If i was to go for private soldier i might try for something like combat medical technican or military police. I have a bit of experience in both roles but no soldiering experience. I would be open to applying for an ordainary infantary post also in the RIR.

I thinking of applying for officer cadet aswell. Im not 100% sure about the process for that so i need to speak to a recruiter. I attended a selection weekend in the curragh, not having a clue what i was in for. At the time i was thinking to myself no effing way! but on reflection cadets would be something i would like to do. Im also considering british army as it will give be an opportunity to take the next place in my career, which is stalled at the moment. I plan on taking a trip up soon to find out the facts for myself and while im there ill find out about roles in the royal navy while im there.

Good choices I had cmt as my second job choice I got offered it when I was in selection but I want to do infantry in the RIR, 11.10 isn't bad btw it's a pass, when you apply you will get a call and they'll ask you these questions and give you dates so your not in a rush

Im not looking to apply atm thou. I just want to find out the facts first before i make a decision. Im not 100% sure about it. Will they assume that i am looking to apply? I knew absolutly nothing about the military before i went up for that weekend so i need to do my homework first. Not sure where i will start thou. Im from a farming background like.

Go on to the BA website it has sh*t loads of info and you can talk online to someone and ask them questions aswel, they could tell you more than me mate there's also a BA army forums website like boards called Arrse,, and if you want to get your fitness up download the 100% army fit app it really helps.

ya man thanks

Advertisement