Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Super League 2013

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

When you see two teams give a performance of such commitment, courage and skill there can be no argument that RL is 'the greatest game'. If only there were more games like that in the season!

Sky's Monday night scheduling is going to prove challenging but hopefully most teams will follow it up with a Sunday game and not a Friday night one. Though I remember when I started watching there were many times when they played twice a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Wakefield on TV tonight, is the financial plight as bad as it was? Sky seem to be saying its bad again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Wakefield on TV tonight, is the financial plight as bad as it was? Sky seem to be saying its bad again.

The finances of a number of clubs are deeply, deeply dubious. Wakey are definitely in trouble, Bradford are apparently back in the red and the plug is going to be pulled on the London broncos at the end of this season if the papers are to be believed. In general RL in England is a sport in decline, I just hope it's not terminal. I mean look at Huddersfield this year, playing superb rugby, topping the table and yet playing to average gates of 5,000 at home, all this in the birthplace of rugby league.

The marketing of the game is woeful,(no main super league sponsor this season, no one interested for the next apparently) it has absolutely no media presence in the national press and you'd have to say the quality of the competition has been steadily declining over the past few years. Outside of the top 4 or 5 clubs there is a steep drop off in performance. Compare this with the NRL which has gone absolutely stratospheric in the past 5 years. I watch it every week and the difference in skill and intensity is huge and it's a gulf that's only going to get wider.

When you factor in the massive financial power of the NRL which is sucking in all the best talent in the UK; Tomkins off to Warriors next year, 4 Burgess brothers, yes 4, lining out for Souths on Friday last the future seems pretty bleak for RL in this country at the moment. I'm seriously concerned about the upcoming world cup and its credibility as a viable competition. A disaster on a par with the last outing will only further damage and marginalise the game. We've got this re-organisation of the super league to come next year, a process which in itself has been torturous and farcical and has further served to underline the ineptitude of those running the game. I fear it might only be a case of re-arranging the deckchairs on the titanic...but something's got to give in the next year or two as the sport is not viable as it is currently constituted. I reckon some historic clubs will certainly be on the way out. Wakey or Cas may very well be one of them....

Wakefield are losing €400,000 a year and have a serious cash-flow problem. Tim Smith apparently was sold to pay the players wages. All of this on the back of increased attendances this season. :(

It seems that the only way that most teams can survive is if it has a Sugar Daddy pumping their own money - like Huddersfield.

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    It seems that the only way that most teams can survive is if it has a Sugar Daddy pumping their own money - like Huddersfield.

That is certainly a massive issue for super league, but you'd also have to say, sugar daddies aside, the way some of these clubs are run is an absolute joke. If you look at Leeds, they were a a basket case up until relatively recently, but decent management and a sound long term development plan has seen them become one of the most successful and best supported clubs in the country ( I know Leeds is a little weird in RL terms as its always had a really loyal fanbase from all walks of life in the city, unlike a lot of other RL clubs), but the lesson is there. Leeds academy system is brilliant and they've relied less on marquee foreign signings and tried to develop their own talent of late.

The same is evident in saints and Wigan, but you look at other clubs chucking good money after bad with dubious Aussie or Kiwi signings looking for the quick fix. Short-termism of the worst kind and this for me is the greatest problem with SL at the top-level in England. The sport will alway have loyal grass roots support, but the way its run at the top-level is at times farcical. Its laughable that League introduced professionalism to rugby, but at the moment it's the boys in union who are giving the 13 man code an object lesson in how to promote and grow a sport in difficult economic times, often based on a superb international product, a side of the game which is nothing more than a bad joke in League....

• Advertisement

Shock!! Horror!!! The worst kept secret in SL has finally been revealed. Sam Tomkins has signed for the NZ Warriors for a record £700,000....well at least he's not lost to the game, despite the attentions of French and English union clubs...Was listening to Shaun Wayne last night, Wigan have first dibs on him if he comes back to the UK

That was a brilliant first half Wigan v Leeds. Thoroughly enjoyable and still only a converted try in it.

Edit: And my 5 year old lad, watching his first game on telly, thinks its hilarious that the ref keeps shouting MOOOOO!

Yes, I have explained he is saying MOOVE, but he doesn't care!

Edit 2: Fantastic start by Leeds in the second half.

I love the swearing over the mics tbh :P

Good game, Leeds looked like they ran out of steam a bit 2nd half, Wigan played well though. Here's hoping for a big win for Wire in the final.

Good game, Leeds looked like they ran out of steam a bit 2nd half, Wigan played well though. Here's hoping for a big win for Wire in the final.

Yeah, first half was absolutely brilliant...superb, close fought rugby and how Jamie Peacock does what he does is an utter mystery the me, the guy is an absolute machine, at one point in the first I was sure he had a twin brother on the field. If he doesn't get man of steel this year there's summat wrong.You could see the tank was empty for Leeds in the 2nd though and that extra week off came into play big-style for the Warriors. Be interesting to see if they can complete the double and send Samkins off down under with a bag of silverware...I'll be in the Wire camp though...

• Advertisement

Good start to grand final, Warrington just gone in front. Westwood a bit naughty early on. One thing though, In goal area seems tiny, isn't there a minimum size? Looks unsafe it's that small.

Wigan try just before the hooter, game on for 2nd half now, still 10 points in it.

All going wrong for Warrington now, losing vital players, behind by 2

Yeah, too many key losses for wire on the day. Forced Tactical re-jig was just too much for a grand final. Shame really because they seemed nailed on on the basis of the first half. Fair play to wigan, they took advantage of the situation and played to their strengths but you can't help feeling Warrington were robbed. Totally agree with the comment on the in-goal area, utterly ridiculous and must seriously have impacted on the tactical options for kickers, also seemed to be a huge feckin trench at the sideline...looked dangerous to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Get in!!!

Get in!!!

Pie-eater one assumes...;)congrats...hope this doesnt herald another decade of dominance....

Broncos are going into administration. Not sure what is left of them tbh. Playing and coaching staff have all but disappeared. Things are grim, wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't the end.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/25020860

Broncos are going into administration. Not sure what is left of them tbh. Playing and coaching staff have all but disappeared. Things are grim, wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't the end.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/25020860

Inevitable alas. Reckon they're finished as an SL side. Might carry in in some form or other in the C'Ship. They were an embarrassment on the pitch last season, couldn't carry on. Not sure this will be the last SL club to hit admin before the new format SL is ratified...

Feckin' Groundhog Day at Odsal again…I think its time for some pretty tough decisions re: Bradford irrespective of tradition, sentimentality and nostalgia…The mismanagement here is epic and ongoing and I know a lot of the hardcore fans are thoroughly sick of the way their club has been run and no longer attend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/25232718

After the highs of a successful world cup, it's back to the reality with a massive thud to just how badly large parts of professional Rugby League are struggling. Not too many clubs competing these days are financially flushed. Half a dozen well run and sound clubs apart, most go from one crisis to the next.

• Advertisement

It seems that Bradford and Wakefield are travelling along the same railway line - both were 'rescued' from the brink by a 'saviour' who then continued to spend money that wasn't there.

Spookily both clubs have declared that they were £400k in debt.

At least Wakey have now reduced this to £100k, although they found that there were more hidden debts than the initial amount - hopefully the same won't happen at Odsal.

One wonders whether Salford is also going to turn out to be all smoke and mirrors as well.

One wonders whether Salford is also going to turn out to be all smoke and mirrors as well.

Yeah, i've got a very,very bad feeling about this Koukash character and his antics...barging into dressing rooms at half time, berating players etc...hope im proved wrong but I think it may end very, very badly......

Looks like the Bulls are SERIOUS trouble now as it looks as if the captain wants to scuttle the ship after spurning the rescuers!

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12213/9087824/super-league-bradford-bulls-board-of-directors-to-leave-club

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Looks like the Bulls are SERIOUS trouble now as it looks as if the captain wants to scuttle the ship after spurning the rescuers!

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12213/9087824/super-league-bradford-bulls-board-of-directors-to-leave-club

very bad news for the bulls

All going a bit tits up in Super League, very worrying when big teams like Bradford lurch from crisis to crisis.

And on that happy note, Merry Christmas to the few of us who frequent this forum, giving me someone other than myself to talk to. Hope you all have a great new year.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Just seen ad on sky sports for new season, really looking forward to its return, fancy Leeds to regain title, think they'll beat the Giants in the Grand Final

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

http://www.sldreamteam.co.uk/

Any one do the fantasy super league?

Advertisement