Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

D'Oh!

Options
  • 13-06-2008 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

I am kicking myself for not reading thru here earlier, but anyhoo, this is where I am now.. I picked up an 18" Shockwave SUS 550 (I think) full suspension :rolleyes: with v breaks from Halfords over the weekend. Paid €149 for it.

http://tinyurl.com/6pkgwh

After spending an hour trying it out, I am rather disappointed.

a) Its too small. Its 18" and I am nearly 6' tall, and I think I might need a 20".
    b) Seat collapsed when it jumped over uneven surface. I need to find a ring spanner to tighten it as I think the bolt head (?) is too soft and end up rounding it if I try any other tool on it.
    c) Can't get it to switch to third gear (on the left hand grip). I think the gear system might be knackered already.

I know it cost me less that what some of you would pay for service, but is this bike really worth the money, or should I try and change the bike?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

positron wrote: »
    I am kicking myself for not reading thru here earlier, but anyhoo, this is where I am now.. I picked up an 18" Shockwave SUS 550 (I think) full suspension :rolleyes: with v breaks from Halfords over the weekend. Paid €149 for it.

http://tinyurl.com/6pkgwh

After spending an hour trying it out, I am rather disappointed.

a) Its too small. Its 18" and I am nearly 6' tall, and I think I might need a 20".
    b) Seat collapsed when it jumped over uneven surface. I need to find a ring spanner to tighten it as I think the bolt head (?) is too soft and end up rounding it if I try any other tool on it.
    c) Can't get it to switch to third gear (on the left hand grip). I think the gear system might be knackered already.

I know it cost me less that what some of you would pay for service, but is this bike really worth the money, or should I try and change the bike?

change it, total rubbish. halfords have some solid bikes with no suspension for that price. full suspension at that price indicates that every component will be terribl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Try and bring it back and get your money back maybe ? They might give you a credit note at the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭positron

Oh, can I just add, one reason why I went for a cheapest option is because I might leave it at the train station now and then etc too...

Okay, so general consensus is that I should bring it back.... Almost all bikes there looks upwards of €250, I will have another look. copacetic, do you know what are those sub-200 euro, non-suspension bikes called?

thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

The bike isn’t fit for purpose since it's too small for you. The gears are hardly knackered, they probably just need a little tuning. This happens with all new bikes.

However you are entitled to a refund I would say. Take a credit note if you want, but they’re obliged to give you cash, a replacement bike or to repair the current bike. Itz da law d00d.

I’d hold out for cash personally. No one is going to say that it's a bike worth keeping at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

The carrera subway is a nice enoug bike. I bought one 2 years ago and if ur looking for a rather unspectacular commuter, its nice. They were doing a special offer at that time as well, so I don't know how much one will cost you now.

• Advertisement

Oh, can I just add, one reason why I went for a cheapest option is because I might leave it at the train station now and then etc too...

Okay, so general consensus is that I should bring it back.... Almost all bikes there looks upwards of €250, I will have another look. copacetic, do you know what are those sub-200 euro, non-suspension bikes called?

thanks!

saw an apollo cx10 I think, it was 160 and just a decent hybrid type bike with little on it that can go wrong..

Thanks guys! I guess I'll bring it to them tomorrow. DirkVoodoo, didn't see any carerra's there below €300. copacetic, thanks, I will if they have the apollo cx10.

I googled on that model and apparently it comes in two sizes - 18" or 21". I am like 5' 11" (~180cm), so I guess I should be okay with a 21". However, does that mean my partner wont be able to use it at all (she is 5' 7 - 5' 8")?

thanks again!

Thanks guys! I guess I'll bring it to them tomorrow. DirkVoodoo, didn't see any carerra's there below €300. copacetic, thanks, I will if they have the apollo cx10.

I googled on that model and apparently it comes in two sizes - 18" or 21". I am like 5' 11" (~180cm), so I guess I should be okay with a 21". However, does that mean my partner wont be able to use it at all (she is 5' 7 - 5' 8")?

thanks again!

get the 18, it should be ok for you and she can use it too. the 21 will be too big for her.

Quick update: Bought the bike back to Halfords today, and picked up a 20" Apollo XC.26 instead - Just a tenner above the Shockwave SUS 550.

This one: http://tinyurl.com/5hat4j

Its strange because last Saturday I had originally bought the same Apollo XC.26 for €229 (and they didn't have it ready when I went to pick it up later, hence I changed my order to Shockwave SUS 550). Last time they didn't do any safety check either (the guy just pumped some air into the tires and that was it). Not something one would expect from even a half decent setup...!

Anyway, this one feels much nicer, lighter, size feels right and the size seems just about at the limit for herself too.

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions! Great help!

Quick update: Bought the bike back to Halfords today, and picked up a 20" Apollo XC.26 instead - Just a tenner above the Shockwave SUS 550.

This one: http://tinyurl.com/5hat4j

Its strange because last Saturday I had originally bought the same Apollo XC.26 for €229 (and they didn't have it ready when I went to pick it up later, hence I changed my order to Shockwave SUS 550). Last time they didn't do any safety check either (the guy just pumped some air into the tires and that was it). Not something one would expect from even a half decent setup...!

Anyway, this one feels much nicer, lighter, size feels right and the size seems just about at the limit for herself too.

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions! Great help!

nice one, hope it works out for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement