Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tesla Cybertruck

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Interesting video, but the first question I have is if he has done a similar video on the Tesla Semi. (Or the competitor tractors from other companies like Daimler). His 'electric bad at towing' argument seems to utterly defeat the point of the vehicles, unless the battery ratings for them are insanely high.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

electric bad at towing is such a nonsense argument

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

cnocbui wrote: »
    Then it wouldn't be bulletproof to a 9mm handgun....

If it is, then I can see a lot being sold around Dublin. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

What makes EVs interesting for towing is the fact that energy on downhill sections can be recovered unlike with the conventional HGVs. The cybertruck with triple motors should be able to absorb possibly up to 250 kW on steep declines with a heavy trailer. The quad motored Semi can capture even more due to heavier load (more kinetic energy and more load on the driven axles) and a bigger battery pack.

The additional bonus is way less brake wear on hilly terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Mooooo wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/S4W-P5aCWJs
    Video about evs and towing

Yeah I saw that a few days ago. Don't know why he bothered doing the calculations as the F150 was only a RWD

I was surprised that Tesla didn't have the confidence that the cybertruck could beat a 4WD F150. Maybe it is under powered as it is just a pre-production concept. But did they really think they weren't going to be found out? Or did the Tesla fanbois just swallow the story up whole?

• Advertisement

samih wrote: »
    The additional bonus is way less brake wear on hilly terrain.

I don't know if they've made it to Europe due to noise concerns, but Jake-brakes (engine compression brakes) are not uncommmon in the US, especially on those long downhill grades in the mountains on the Interstate, but, yes, the electric regen system will be better overall.

img_1541.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I don't know if they've made it to Europe due to noise concerns, but Jake-brakes (engine compression brakes) are not uncommmon in the US, especially on those long downhill grades in the mountains on the Interstate, but, yes, the electric regen system will be better overall.

Is that what we might call the exhaust brake, I've heard it called a retarder too. I think it's fairly common on lorry's.

Neighbours previous tractor had one too, very good at slowing down the machine.

graememk wrote: »
    Is that what we might call the exhaust brake, I've heard it called a retarder too. I think it's fairly common on lorry's.

Neighbours previous tractor had one too, very good at slowing down the machine.

Jake brakes and exhaust brakes are both forms of retarder, but are not the same. Jake brakes are more effective, but may well be uncommon in Europe (if not outright banned) because they are so loud. The difference is that Jake brakes work in the cylinders, and exhaust brakes work in the exhaust manifold.

In modern HGV in Europe the retarders are typically electrostatic or hydrostatic, and both will turn the kinetic energy into heat (and quite silently). I think you can actually hear the operation on for example onboard Dublin bus where there is a high pitch inverter type of noise when slowing down.

But on fossil vehicles the energy is largely lost unlike on EVs. I always lament the lack of regen when driving our Sprinter on hilly terrain. At least the current one is a bit less noisy when using engine braking. On the older van the engine noise was very loud above 2500 rpm. Actually the Euro 5/6 vehicles have a very slight electric retarder as they use the charging system to boost the batteries when slowing down. You can actually see the voltage from alternator raising when engine braking. I also have a smart charger for the camper hab batteries and it also goes on overdrive whenever there is excess energy avaiable from the alternator.

Here's hoping that the BEV commercial vehicles become available soon in volume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Tesla have announced that production for the three-motor, all-wheel-drive Cybertruck, which starts at $69,900, would begin in 2021, a year earlier than Tesla first announced.

Can't wait to see the production model!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Looking at licence requirements. Is it the C licence required for the truck. Figure I would get the ball rolling and get it.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Looking at licence requirements. Is it the C licence required for the truck. Figure I would get the ball rolling and get it.

A c1 should be fine, afaik it's good to 7.5 t

A normal C is a flatbed lorry licence.

A B licence should still cover you, it's ok until 3.5 t I think

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Elon Musk took the Cybertruck to Nobu in LA over the weekend
    https://twitter.com/OfficialJoelF/status/1204047671432040449

... and knocked over a sign. It's a sign!

Or maybe a cone. A sign cone.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

What's the weight and range of this truck. Has there been that much developments in battery technology to haul a 3mm stainless bodies around whilst towing my little pony around the place in a trailer. Without having to charge a bank of batterys for a week. Also with the price of fuel in the US still been so reasonable I dont know if your average rural american will be trading there Silverados for this ugly dog of a yoke. I know my own preference would be a f150 raptor over the cyber truck all day long at that price point. And if Tesla has made such advancements in battery technology what the hell ahave the incumbent main stream car manufacturers been doing that had taken them so long.

dh1985 wrote: »
    And if Tesla has made such advancements in battery technology

They haven't. What makes you think they have? Their batteries are very cleverly packed together with excellent safety and cooling, so very good longevity too. Which is all fairly low tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭ted1

dh1985 wrote: »
    What's the weight and range of this truck. Has there been that much developments in battery technology to haul a 3mm stainless bodies around whilst towing my little pony around the place in a trailer. Without having to charge a bank of batterys for a week. Also with the price of fuel in the US still been so reasonable I dont know if your average rural american will be trading there Silverados for this ugly dog of a yoke. I know my own preference would be a f150 raptor over the cyber truck all day long at that price point. And if Tesla has made such advancements in battery technology what the hell ahave the incumbent main stream car manufacturers been doing that had taken them so long.

Fird sell 75,000 F150s a month, Tesla only want to capture a fraction of that market , they are also taking reservations from people who have no previous truck history

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

More and more delighted I ordered one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I hate to burst anyone's bubble here, but you have not ordered one. You have registered interest.

Tesla now have "launched" and taken reservations on 4 cars that they do not manufacture. The Simi, the roadster, the model Y and the Cybertruck.

The simi may never be made, the roadster people have actually put big money down. The model Y will sell like hotcakes. Maybe then the truck will be produced.

There are people waiting for model 3's here in Ireland for 3 years. Model Y;s will be the next priority once that thirst is satisfied. You have given tesla 100 buck to register your interest in ordering one, should they actually decide to make it. And I suspect they will but it will look considerably different than this prototype.

• Advertisement

I hate to burst anyone's bubble here, but you have not ordered one. You have registered interest.

Tesla now have "launched" and taken reservations on 4 cars that they do not manufacture. The Simi, the roadster, the model Y and the Cybertruck.

The simi may never be made, the roadster people have actually put big money down. The model Y will sell like hotcakes. Maybe then the truck will be produced.

There are people waiting for model 3's here in Ireland for 3 years. Model Y;s will be the next priority once that thirst is satisfied. You have given tesla 100 buck to register your interest in ordering one, should they actually decide to make it. And I suspect they will but it will look considerably different than this prototype.
    In addition to the S, X, 3 and roadster v1 that they took deposits and then made. I fail to see your point here. Deposits are fully refundable. Before I got my S I had a deposit on a 3 which I canclelled and got refunded within days.

ELM327 wrote: »
    In addition to the S, X, 3 and roadster v1 that they took deposits and then made. I fail to see your point here.

I don't think any of us disagree. Tesla announced new cars / trucks that they might / will make. But of course they are only concentrating now on the only car Tesla has ever made that has the potential to generate serious profit and the only car that could possibly keep the company alive (and maybe even become one of the top global players): Model Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

deegs wrote: »

Good luck finding a parking spot.

deegs wrote: »

Every other car in that pic is nearly identical. Whether or not it ever gets made tesla deserve credit for actually designing something interesting. It looks like the kind of futuristic car we thought we would be driving when we were kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭carloscorreia

Saw this, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭Alkers

Jay Leno appears to drive with his eyes closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Ryath

Have you applied for you provisional C licence yet ELM? :D There might be a 3.5T version for europe I suppose but it's payload won't be great given the Cybertruck kerbweight must at least 2500kg if not closer to the 3000kg mark

Ryath wrote: »
    Have you for you provisional C licence yet ELM? :D There might be a 3.5T version for europe I suppose but it's payload won't be great given the Cybertruck kerbweight must at least 2500kg if not closer to the 3000kg mark

Have the provisional now about a year, can't go for lessons/test yet of course.

Its between F150 (~3t) and F250(~4t) GVW, it's possible to plate an f250 at 3.5t (as I had one!).

• Advertisement

To add to the above, I had a '85 chevrolet suburban 2500 before, it was a 454ci (7.4 litre) carburetted V8 getting single digit MPG.
    But, the interesting part was, in the 2500 class, it weighed 3.2 metric tonnes unladen, yet I had it plated for 3.5 metric tonnes. It cost me 240 quid to fill up (36 gallon fuel tank) and had 8 seats. So even filling the tank put you over the plate!

I suspect these things are , while technically illegal, not policed on private vehicles.

Advertisement