Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Army Cadetship Questions

Options
  • 12-09-2018 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am looking to apply for cadetship when the competition is opened again.
    I have read through the FAQ and all the stuff I can find on the website so I think I understand everything regarding the process.

However, I have 2 tattoos, one on my forearm and one on my leg. I know you can't have any that will show above the collar so on your neck or hands. You can't see mine on my forearm whem I wear a shirt or jacket but I noticed that a lot of officers wear the sleeves of the everyday camo uniform rolled up to the elbow. Will I be able to keep my tattoo or will I have to get it removed. I ****ing love it so I'd hate to get it removed and then find out it just can't be seen when you're wearing the dress uniform! I also know a lot of guys in the army and they are covered in tattoos so I'm hoping it'll be ok! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ducky00

Coco666 wrote: »
    I am looking to apply for cadetship when the competition is opened again.
    I have read through the FAQ and all the stuff I can find on the website so I think I understand everything regarding the process.

However, I have 2 tattoos, one on my forearm and one on my leg. I know you can't have any that will show above the collar so on your neck or hands. You can't see mine on my forearm whem I wear a shirt or jacket but I noticed that a lot of officers wear the sleeves of the everyday camo uniform rolled up to the elbow. Will I be able to keep my tattoo or will I have to get it removed. I ****ing love it so I'd hate to get it removed and then find out it just can't be seen when you're wearing the dress uniform! I also know a lot of guys in the army and they are covered in tattoos so I'm hoping it'll be ok! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah all it says online is above the collar so I presume that that means no tattoos on your neck. There's a soldier in the gym I work in with 2 full sleeves and I've seen load a of soldiers with the number 2 uniform with the sleeves rolled and they have full sleeves. So maybe? Only thing is that guy I know isn't an officer and I don't know if any of the other people I saw were officers. Where is the one on your leg? If you don't mind me asking, are you male of female? Part of the female uniform is a skirt although I don't know if they have to wear the skirt, so not sure if that could be an issue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Coco666

Ducky00 wrote: »
    Yeah all it says online is above the collar so I presume that that means no tattoos on your neck. There's a soldier in the gym I work in with 2 full sleeves and I've seen load a of soldiers with the number 2 uniform with the sleeves rolled and they have full sleeves. So maybe? Only thing is that guy I know isn't an officer and I don't know if any of the other people I saw were officers. Where is the one on your leg? If you don't mind me asking, are you male of female? Part of the female uniform is a skirt although I don't know if they have to wear the skirt, so not sure if that could be an issue too.

Thank for the replying. Yes I am female. I thought I would have a choice to wear the trousers or skirt. The second one is around my ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

There are plenty of tattooed officers, including women. As far as I know it's the same policy of above collar and below wrist, and as far as I know (I'm male), women do get the choice of skirt or trousers. I don't know whether the leg tattoo might affect the implications of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Coco666

There are plenty of tattooed officers, including women. As far as I know it's the same policy of above collar and below wrist, and as far as I know (I'm male), women do get the choice of skirt or trousers. I don't know whether the leg tattoo might affect the implications of that.

Ok this is a huge relief already. Thank you so much for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Hi lads
    I have a question about the requirement for a third language for a cadetship is it a requirement?
    I got 424 points in the leaving but i have no third language i appear to meet the minimum requirements on the DF website, i sent them a email about this and got what seemed to be a automated reply with no clear answer.
    My leaving in 2018
    Higher- Mathematics -H6
    Higher- Engineering -H2
    Higher- Construction -H4
    Higher- Art -H3
    Higher-DCG -H4
    Higher- English -H4
    Ordinary- Irish -O3

It states i need a third language for NUI matriculation purposes? NUI only require a third language for certain courses
    "A third language is required for Arts, Commerce, Law, Medicine , Speech and Language Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Podiatry. It is not required for entry to Nursing or Engineering. Nor is it required for Science Courses except for Biotechnology. "
    So does anyone know if it is definitely a requirement to have a third language, Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Townton

Hi lads
    I have a question about the requirement for a third language for a cadetship is it a requirement?
    I got 424 points in the leaving but i have no third language i appear to meet the minimum requirements on the DF website, i sent them a email about this and got what seemed to be a automated reply with no clear answer.
    My leaving in 2018
    Higher- Mathematics -H6
    Higher- Engineering -H2
    Higher- Construction -H4
    Higher- Art -H3
    Higher-DCG -H4
    Higher- English -H4
    Ordinary- Irish -O3

It states i need a third language for NUI matriculation purposes? NUI only require a third language for certain courses
    "A third language is required for Arts, Commerce, Law, Medicine , Speech and Language Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Podiatry. It is not required for entry to Nursing or Engineering. Nor is it required for Science Courses except for Biotechnology. "
    So does anyone know if it is definitely a requirement to have a third language, Thanks

Is the reason you dont have a third language because you were exempt? If so then it should be fine. If its for other reasons I'm not to sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Townton wrote: »
    Is the reason you dont have a third language because you were exempt? If so then it should be fine. If its for other reasons I'm not to sure.

I chose to do engineering instead of French as i thought it would stand to me better while going for a engineering course

Advertisement