Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Ferries france 19

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

Only last week or the week before an investment of millions in the port was announced. The train timetable stopped being linked to Ferries ages ago. No wonder footfall fell off.

Yeah and Stena line have announced they're increasing services from rosslare to France.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Sounds like there is an opportunity for, say, Stena Line, to set up sailings from Waterford to France.

Stena already sail Rosslare-Cherbourg.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭kc56

Latest timetables show the Epsilon running Dublin-Cherbough until late March then Dublin- Holyhead only after that.

No sign of the Oscar Wilde.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

kc56 wrote: »
    The Oscar Wilde has been doing Dublin-Cherbourg in 19 1/2 hours, Epsilon in 20 hours; WB Yeats a planned 18 hours.
    The Stena Horizon does Rosslare - Cherbough in around 19 1/2 hours.

Rosslare - Cherbough might be shorted, but it's not necessarily faster! Other factors have a bearing the cruise times such as port slots, length of time spent in the port.

Regardless of which ship is used, it is three hours sailing time from Dublin to passing Carnsore Point.

Most Dublin people live south of the river Liffey, and find getting to the Dublin Ferryport torture compared to a pleasant trip down the N11 to Rosslare. Even people in the Blanchardstown area would be better off taking the M50 + M11 / N11.

Very soon the Enniscorthy bypass will be open reducing the road time from the southern suburbs to Rosslare to a mere 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

That is sad, it was a lovely ship.

Irish Ferries have now had it ten years, having totally refurbished it when they bought it.
    It gave good service during that time, and a vessel built in 1982 cannot be expected to continue forever.

Will Oscar be running Dublin - Holyhead during this winter, on relief?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭kc56

tabbey wrote: »

Will Oscar be running Dublin - Holyhead during this winter, on relief?

Timetable shows W.B.Yates covering Holyhead until March. They it swaps with the Epsilon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Regardless of which ship is used, it is three hours sailing time from Dublin to passing Carnsore Point.

Most Dublin people live south of the river Liffey, and find getting to the Dublin Ferryport torture compared to a pleasant trip down the N11 to Rosslare. Even people in the Blanchardstown area would be better off taking the M50 + M11 / N11.

Very soon the Enniscorthy bypass will be open reducing the road time from the southern suburbs to Rosslare to a mere 90 minutes.

Posting nonsense claims like that really damages any credibility in the rest of your post.

You could cycle the 15km from Blanch to the port and back out again faster than you’d drive to Rosslare.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Most Dublin people live south of the river Liffey, and find getting to the Dublin Ferryport torture compared to a pleasant trip down the N11 to Rosslare.
    Where were the results if this survey posted online or is it just an opinion you have?
    Even people in the Blanchardstown area would be better off taking the M50 + M11 / N11.
    The M50 "northbound" brings you all the way into the port via the tunnel. You seriously think this is slower than the M50 and M11/N11 to Rosslare? The stretch from Wexford to Rosslare usually takes longer than travelling the M50 from J6 to J1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,975 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

blackwhite wrote: »
    Posting nonsense claims like that really damages any credibility in the rest of your post.

You could cycle the 15km from Blanch to the port and back out again faster than you’d drive to Rosslare.
    maybe i'm coming late to this, but surely the point being made is that if it takes 3 hours for the boat to get from dublin to carnsore point, you're quicker driving to rosslare and getting the boat from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

maybe i'm coming late to this, but surely the point being made is that if it takes 3 hours for the boat to get from dublin to carnsore point, you're quicker driving to rosslare and getting the boat from there?

But there's more to it than that. Dublin is more accessible than Rosslare for many (trucks from N.I for example) so the total journey time won't be very different. And some of us are happy to spend an extra hour or two on the ship to avoid the drive to and from Rosslare.

In any case, it looks like the WBY will be the only IF cruise ferry doing France next year so its a straight contest between Dublin and Rosslare and Dublin wins that hands down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Latest timetables show the Epsilon running Dublin-Cherbough until late March then Dublin- Holyhead only after that.

I just booked a trip in February from Rosslare to Pembroke on... Oscar Wilde. Is the Isle of Inishmore off the route for maintenance?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭blackwhite

The WB Yeats is a faster vessel than the Wilde, so the actual journey time to France is only something like 30m longer.

I can get the local anger in Wexford over the changes, but posting rubbish doesn’t help any arguments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,975 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

First Up wrote: »
    But there's more to it than that. Dublin is more accessible than Rosslare for many (trucks from N.I for example) so the total journey time won't be very different. And some of us are happy to spend an extra hour or two on the ship to avoid the drive to and from Rosslare.
    all true, but the posters i was responding to seemed to think the point being made was that it's quicker specifically to drive to rosslare than to dublin port.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭XsApollo

The drive to rosslare is a horrible drive , i’d much prefer Dublin myself and that’s coming from Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭markpb

I'd imagine the bulk of Irish Ferries revenue comes from trucks, not people going on their holidays to France. It might slightly faster to drive to Rosslare and sail from there but it means more fuel costs for the hauliers and more time on the tacograph which limits how far they can drive when they get to France.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

blackwhite wrote:
    The WB Yeats is a faster vessel than the Wilde, so the actual journey time to France is only something like 30m longer.

The WBY would be faster from Rosslare too but Dublin obviously has a much bigger cachment area than Rosslare.

Its sitting right beside the toll bridge in Dublin this morning; looks temptingly convenient!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Will work out more convenient for us.

Will save us a total of 10 hours towing caravan so that goes somewhat towards the extra cost of the ferry.

Advertisement