Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Showering?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I must be really lucky. It’s so rare in my life that I come across anyone smelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Possibly because it was probably 30-40 years ago and it's easy enough these for normal people to distinguish a common ground between electing to be extra clean and being forced to bath once a week in a tin tub beside the fire.

Similar to not missing corporal punishment or smallpox really.

A good It Were All Fields In Mah Day riff, nonetheless. :D

What the hell is extra clean

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

A weekly bath is sufficient. No need to remove essential oils and nutrients from the epidermis exposing you to germs and such

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I must be really lucky. It’s so rare in my life that I come across anyone smelly.

You don't use public transport so. Or perhaps your nose is blocked on occasion :P

I must encounter a person suffering from BO every few weeks and I seldom use public transport.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Once every 2 days unless I'm exercising/playing football/sweating profusely due to climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I believe in taking care of myself, and a balanced diet and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now. After I remove the ice pack, I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower, I use a water activated gel cleanser. Then a honey almond body scrub. And on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub. Then apply an herb mint facial mask, which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an aftershave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.

Can't quite describe how I feel about this post. It seems strange to me that you can spend so much time in the morning looking after yourself in this way.........but it obviously makes you feel better than if you didn't go through this routine.

I'm not even sure what many of the things you listed above even are! Stomach crunches? Water activated gel cleanser? Moisturizer AND final moisturizing protective lotion? It all seems a little.........extreme?

For what it's worth, I shower every morning and brush my teeth, and shave when I feel like it (no aftershave, moisturizer, anti-aging creams or whatever!) Occasionally I also shower in the evening too.

My dad was born just before the Second World War. He had a bath (in a tin bath) once a week and slept in his school clothes at night as it would be too cold to sleep otherwise. His school clothes would be worn 5 days a week and then washed by hand with a ponch and a mangle! Simpler (smellier!) times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Cienciano wrote: »
    This usually desends into people who shower 3 times a day calling everyone dirty scumbags for only showering once a day.

In fairness it's possible that anyone showering to this extreme has some sort of condition which causes the smells.

People need to be sensitive around these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Can't quite describe how I feel about this post. It seems strange to me that you can spend so much time in the morning looking after yourself in this way.........but it obviously makes you feel better than if you didn't go through this routine.

I'm not even sure what many of the things you listed above even are! Stomach crunches? Water activated gel cleanser? Moisturizer AND final moisturizing protective lotion? It all seems a little.........extreme..:D

Wait until you see his exercise routine, AND his business card!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I'm not even sure what many of the things you listed above even are! Stomach crunches? Water activated gel cleanser? Moisturizer AND final moisturizing protective lotion? It all seems a little.........extreme?

For what it's worth, I shower every morning and brush my teeth, and shave when I feel like it (no aftershave, moisturizer, anti-aging creams or whatever!) Occasionally I also shower in the evening too.

My dad was born just before the Second World War. He had a bath (in a tin bath) once a week and slept in his school clothes at night as it would be too cold to sleep otherwise. His school clothes would be worn 5 days a week and then washed by hand with a ponch and a mangle! Simpler (smellier!) times :D

The post flew further over your head than a missile from the Luftwaffe over your father's...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Excessive showering damages your skin and is unhealthy.

Its advised by a lot of health professionals 2-3 times a week roughly is best.

Three times a day is too much. Once per day can be bad if the water is too hot and if you spend a long time in it.
    What health professionals advise that?
    You need to bathe at least once daily. It could be a strip wash, bath or shower , whichever of these is your preference or is available.

To not wash under your arms, your genital/peri-anal region, your feet and any skin folds you may have and dry them properly each day is not only minging, it is also unhealthy and can lead to skin infections.

I bath/shower daily. Twice daily during menstruation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

What the hell is extra clean

Like clean but extra.

Like when you come home from work or a run after a hot day and you can have a shower there and then instead of waiting until the tin bath on Sunday night.

Understand obviously for some in here the extra washing time might detract from gaming or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Sardonicat wrote: »

Smelly ones.

Ragnar wrote:

He may have only sat in a bath once a week but I bet you he washed himself thoroughly each day.

In the 70s/80s most of us only had a bath once or twice a week due to not having electric showers and the expense of heating a tank of water, but we washed down everyday. Often had to boil up a kettle to do so.

The post flew further over your head than a missile from the Luftwaffe over your father's...

Ah.......yeah I got caught :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

Same. I get 2 buses to work and 2 home again And it's rare I notice someone's BO. In work the only customers that smell are obviously homeless and it's the smell of alcohol and stale cigarettes that you smell. I notice a lot of people have bad breath, and they're the people who insist on standing 1 foot from your face, or they wear too much aftershave/perfume and that's bad too.

I have a great sense of smell too, so it's not that I can't smell them...most people smell fine.

He may have only sat in a bath once a week but I bet you he washed himself thoroughly each day.

In the 70s/80s most of us only had a bath once or twice a week due to not having electric showers and the expense of heating a tank of water, but we washed down everyday. Often had to boil up a kettle to do so.

He was a young boy at the time. My guess is that I would win that bet :D

A essential oils and nutrients
    AKA sweat.

Are you saying your genitals and hoop only get washed once a week?

You don't use public transport so. Or perhaps your nose is blocked on occasion :P

I must encounter a person suffering from BO every few weeks and I seldom use public transport.

Not currently but I’ve used it LOADS in my life. Including at rush hours. And just get the usual twice yearly cold. Encountering smelly people frequently has never happened to me.

Once every 2 days unless I'm exercising/playing football/sweating profusely due to climate.

FINALLY a fellow every-other-day showerer speaks out about their secret shame! :P

He was a young boy at the time. My guess is that I would win that bet :D
    My dad would be slightly older than yours and he's of the strip wash brigade. He had a daily strip wash as a child and the weekly tin bath.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

There's three reasons why they didn't smell given the infrequency of a bath or changes of clothes:

The old school way was to change anything next to the skin regularly. So while trousers or jumpers might get a weekly (or less!) wash, the vests and underpants next to the skin got more frequent changes during the week, usually daily. Secondly, while they had a weekly bath, a daily strip wash at the sink or washbowl in a bedroom washing pits & bits daily was the norm and thirdly, old soaps like lifebuoy or imperial leather really cleaned the skin. Modern shower gels and washes do a less thorough job because their aim is to not strip the skin of it's natural oils which the old soaps did. And the oils trap the bacteria to make us stink up quicker than they would have.

You need to bathe at least once daily. It could be a strip wash, bath or shower , whichever of these is your preference or is available.

To not wash under your arms, your genital/peri-anal region, your feet and any skin folds you may have and dry them properly each day is not only minging, it is also unhealthy and can lead to skin infections.

And from what source are you getting this information? Getting skin infections from showering, say, three times a week? Nonsense. I would love to see where you’re getting that information.

And from what source are you getting this information?
    Try not washing your crotch for a week and come back and tell us how you're getting on with the itching, yeast infections, boils and uti's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭dzilla

Once weekly before mass.

And from what source are you getting this information? Getting skin infections from showering, say, three times a week? Nonsense. I would love to see where you’re getting that information.
    I didn't say you'd get skin infections from only showering 3 times a week. Go back and read my post. You managed to quote it, pity you didn't bother to read it.

Try not washing your crotch for a week and come back and tell us how you're getting on with the itching, yeast infections, boils and uti's.

Don’t be disingenuous. I said showering three times a week, not once a week. Every other day. You said not cleaning those regions every day can lead to skin infections. So the three-times-a-week showery falls into the category that you think leads to skin infections. I’m interested where you have read about this.

Edit: I did read your post. You said once daily. That means every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I shower only when I can persuade yore ma to stand over me and urinate.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

Wash once a month with a hand knitted cloth from an old jumper, warm water in a pot over the fire , throw the veg in it too , for soup. Just wash essential areas , dont use shower gels etc
    People today are too precious .

Don’t be disingenuous. I said showering three times a week, not once a week. Every other day. You said not cleaning those regions every day can lead to skin infections. So the three-times-a-week showery falls into the category that you think leads to skin infections. I’m interested where you have read about this.

Edit: I did read it. You said once daily. That means every day.
    Not cleaning these regions everyday CAN lead to skin infections. Especially of the feet and peri-anal/genital regions. You can clean them elsewhere other than the shower, as has been pointed out by myself and others in thread.
    You want a source for the need for daily washing of your hoop?! You can get your practice nurse to recommend you plenty when she's packing your peri-anal abcess with betadine infused gauze.

• Advertisement

Snoddy wrote: »
    Wash once a month with a hand knitted cloth from an old jumper, warm water in a pot over the fire , throw the veg in it too , for soup. Just wash essential areas , dont use shower gels etc
    People today are too precious .
    Dont forget, once a year:wire brush and dettol (be sure to start from the top down)

Advertisement