Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Seems like Pete was correct when he mentioned Ratner. Half a dozen women have come forward.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-brett-ratner-allegations-20171101-htmlstory.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

optogirl wrote: »
    a gay party?

Parties that are attracted to other parties maybe?

I see Netflix has now suspended production of HOC.

So I would imagine that a lot of the rumours that the dogs on the street have heard about Spacey are about to start getting mainstream coverage or someone's going to press charges.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Love, love, love that all the bully boys I've met over the years in Ireland might even be quaking in their shoes that I now might report them.

The tide is turning my friends, the light is being shone on sexual abuse everywhere.

Women are becoming more powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

Love, love, love that all the bully boys I've met over the years in Ireland might even be quaking in their shoes that I now might report them.

The tide is turning my friends, the light is being shone on sexual abuse everywhere.

If you know of abuses, the moral thing would have been to come forward and make your allegations before now. You might report them? Now that you're becoming more powerful? Please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

If they'd done something for which they should be legitimately reported for, get on with it. If not, your joy that a perceived slight against you may cause another person distress says more about you than it does them.

I must say, Matt Lauer doesn't come across too well in this. As Feldman notes, he told the police who the abusers were-they were only interested in Michael Jackson as a suspect.
    Seemed Lauer had his mind made up before ever Feldman spoke.

I never liked Matt Lauer. Met him once years ago and he was a bit of an arrogant prick.

beans wrote: »
    If you know of abuses, the moral thing would have been to come forward and make your allegations before now. You might report them? Now that you're becoming more powerful? Please.

What the hell would you know. Moral thing please.
    Multiple women have accused Harvey weinstein, james toback , and now director Brett Ratner. They didnt charge these people at the time. It is now that they feel able to speak.
    Sexual abuse is the most degrading and demeaning thing thar can happen to you. It reduces you physically, mentally and emotionally.
    The majority of people do not feel able or powerful enough to charge their sexual abusers. Maybe read ALL the studies that back this up before you comment on something you know nothing about.
    There is , however, great power in voices. And finally, with everyone else speaking up of the abuses they have sufferd, I feel less alone, And less like these people got away with taking part of me.

If they'd done something for which they should be legitimately reported for, get on with it. If not, your joy that a perceived slight against you may cause another person distress says more about you than it does them.

I love that you say that to a person that was raped. I hope you sleep well tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

What the hell would you know. Moral thing please.
    Multiple women have accused Harvey weinstein, james toback , and now director (Brett Ratner). They didnt charge these people at the time. It is now that they feel able to speak.
    Sexual abuse is the most degrading and demeaning thing thar can happen to you. It reduces you physically, mentally and emotionally.
    The majority of people do not feel able or powerful enough to charge their sexual abusers. Maybe read ALL the studies that back this up before you comment on something you know nothing about.
    There is , however, great power in voices. And finally, with everyone else speaking up of the abuses they have sufferd, I feel less alone, And less like these people got away with taking part of me.

Fair enough. I hope you find what you're seeking.

• Advertisement

I love that you say that to a person that was raped. I hope you sleep well tonight!
    Nowhere in your post did you indicate that you were a victim of rape - it was just a gleeful, bitter remark to me, so how could I know? Or even if I did, this is an internet message board, so really have only got your one-upmanship word for it.

I do know some real victims of rape in person. Wonderful people, if one or two are understandably slightly damaged by their experiences.

You seem different and therefore I will not engage any further with you.

One day I will charge the man that sexually assaulted me (the worst). I'm making that promise to myself now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

This could be interesting. Was this girl a one off or did he do it to others? He comes across as a complete creep. I guess it was pre internet in those days and rumours etc didn't travel around as fast.

They are beginning to fall like dominoes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Seems like Pete was correct when he mentioned Ratner. Half a dozen women have come forward.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-brett-ratner-allegations-20171101-htmlstory.html

from that article...

Wtf did these people talk about when together?:confused:
    For years, he palled around with Robert Evans, the slick-haired former production chief at Paramount Pictures who was later convicted of trafficking cocaine, and Toback, who, as The Times reported last month, has been accused of sexual misconduct by more than 300 women. In a January interview with Variety, Ratner said Evans, Toback and Roman Polanski, who was convicted of having unlawful sex with a minor in 1977, were among his “closest friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

One day I will charge the man that sexually assaulted me (the worst). I'm making that promise to myself now.

Tomorrow never comes.

Do it now. Not some day next week, or month, or year.

What happened you should not happen to you or any woman or man.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

anna080 wrote: »
    Some may argue that accepting hush money from your abuser is playing a part in perpetuating the toxic culture which you speak of. That is what normalises the abnormal.

That’s actually the system that facilitates it. The mere fact that it’s accepted that a rapist or paedophile can legally pay off a victim says it all about a culture... This is another example of people focusing on the victims decisions then the culture that facilitated and rewards these decisions.

If my job is acting and I am abused by a very powerful person in the acting world what’s my best option? Goto police and look for justice or getting compensated?

If I look for righteous justice, my abuser can employ the best lawyers and if I lose (which is a strong possibility) I will never work in Hollywood again. Or I can get financial compensation and still work in an industry that supported this sort of abuse....

These people were raped/abused and took choices they felt were the best available to them.

It’s easy for people to come on a forum , judge and announce what is a more appropriate response.... It’s a huge part of the online culture where people can take strong idealistic standpoints on issues they can forget when they log off.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,841 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope you find the courage to report them, stay strong and take care

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

This could be interesting. Was this girl a one off or did he do it to others? He comes across as a complete creep. I guess it was pre internet in those days and rumours etc didn't travel around as fast.

They are beginning to fall like dominoes now.

I remember an interview with a young Hoffman back in the day on a documentary (possibly parkinson remembers type show) where H joked about all the girls he bedded in the 70s. If I remember it correctly, he told a story of girl fans gathered outside his apartment and he got them sent up one at a time. Everyone laughed, which I thought was weird at the time..

I am glad this casual cruel behaviour and mistreatment of young adults, teens and kids is coming to light and being brought out in the open.

Am sure there are many creeps and predators in show business hiding and hoping this all goes away.. but no, we are on a roll. Hope they all get exposed, whoever they are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Thats fair enough but what if a woman or man accused me of something that I did not do . In the present climate how would I be able to clear my name .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

I'm pretty sure you're massively missing Colbert's point.
    In the video he's clearly being sarcastic and joking. Unless you think Stephen Colbert is also calling for the cover up of sexual assaults by Papa Smurf and Colonel Sanders?

Do you think Stephen Colbert is enabling sexual assault from him buddies Papa Smurf and Colonel Sanders? Do you think Stephen Colbert is covering up for a basket ball playing dog that asks his assistant to come to the trailer and as Stephen put it, "Check for ticks, if you know what I mean."

I'm guessing you didn't even watch the video. :pac:

Give it a rest. Colbert was making light of the situation, comparing Bush to cuddly, harmless icons like Papa Smurf and Colonel Sanders. Not once did he express concern for the victims.
    Although he did get in a snarky dig that one of the victims has since deleted her post.

Between this and Matt Lauer's treatment of Corey Feldman (which was an obvious hit piece if I ever saw one-try and discredit the victim), you can see why victims would be reluctant to come forward if this is the way they are going to be dismissed by the national media. And this from the supposedly 'tolerant' side. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Horrible thing to throw at him.
    You didnt say you were raped in your initial post .

You mentioned, bully boys that you met over the years, who might be quaking , that didnt come over that you were a rape victim.

I , too, hope you get the courage to report your rape. Im so sorry such a horrible thing happened to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Why the wait? If women are becoming powerful why not strike now while the fire is hot. How many more needs to come forward before you think its time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jake1 wrote: »
    Horrible thing to throw at him.
    You didnt say you were raped in your initial post.
    Yeah classy alright. We're hardly psychic here.
    Tomorrow never comes.

Do it now. Not some day next week, or month, or year.

What happened you should not happen to you or any woman or man.
    This +1000. Never mind that if someone is raped by an individual, the same individual could well have other victims, even current and future victims. The longer someone like this might be out there, the more likely he will claim another victim.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

isn't it symptomatic again some men here have nothing better to do than cornering the woman midlandsmissus who just said she will bring the bully to court who sexually assaulted her.

you are just so utterly pathetic. ask yourself, why do you feel the need to corner her and question her in this way?
    you guys should better shut up. it's a disgrace for your gender and with the HW scandal and all the others which are floating in daily, it's out in open daylight and everybody can see now what the majority of mens' character is. we women knew this all the time because we have to deal with it everyday (at work, at home with domestic abuse, fear going out alone in the dark etc. and many more situations).
    this evilness is in almost every men and you can all jump up and shout: OUTRAGEOUS DIFFAMATION. I wish it would be, but unfortunately it's not, it's the truth.

What happens in war zones or in cultures where are no civil laws to protect people, i.e the women like it is here in Europe?
    Women can't dare to go out on the street alone because they are BEING RAPED!! And they are not being raped by the minority, no, if you abolish civil society, also the 'nice guys', who behave within a civil society because of fear of punishment through law will show their real side and start to rape.

The pathetic thing is, in this civil world, men are utterly frightened about women because deep inside they feel women have much more abilities than men, especially in our modern world, where male characteristics like being physically strong and 'emotionless' are not of much use anymore.
    And the more they sense this, the more they need to oppress us women to keep the upper hand.

But you need to get used to that, we doesn't let ourselves be oppressed anymore, we get your perfidious games and we are not longer taking it. we stand up against this ****, more and more.
    There you can bet on!

Sweeping generalisations and misandry abound.

I am a husband and a father to both a teenage and baby girl. I love and respect the women in my life (along with my son) more than any other humans in the planet. I want nothing but great things for them and to have them in my life and be part of theirs.

The above post from tara73 is complete, hateful bile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

tara73 wrote: »
    isn't it symptomatic again some men here have nothing better to do than cornering the woman midlandsmissus who just said she will bring the bully to court who sexually assaulted her.

you are just so utterly pathetic. ask yourself, why do you feel the need to corner her and question her in this way?
    you guys should better shut up. it's a disgrace for your gender and with the HW scandal and all the others which are floating in daily, it's out in open daylight and everybody can see now what the majority of mens' character is. we women knew this all the time because we have to deal with it everyday (at work, at home with domestic abuse, fear going out alone in the dark etc. and many more situations).
    this evilness is in almost every men and you can all jump up and shout: OUTRAGEOUS DIFFAMATION. I wish it would be, but unfortunately it's not, it's the truth.

What happens in war zones or in cultures where are no civil laws to protect people, i.e the women like it is here in Europe?
    Women can't dare to go out on the street alone because they are BEING RAPED!! And they are not being raped by the minority, no, if you abolish civil society, also the 'nice guys', who behave within a civil society because of fear of punishment through law will show their real side and start to rape.

The pathetic thing is, in this civil world, men are utterly frightened about women because deep inside they feel women have much more abilities than men, especially in our modern world, where male characteristics like being physically strong and 'emotionless' are not of much use anymore.
    And the more they sense this, the more they need to oppress us women to keep the upper hand.

But you need to get used to that, we doesn't let ourselves be oppressed anymore, we get your perfidious games and we are not longer taking it. we stand up against this ****, more and more.
    There you can bet on!

This type of guff really doesn't help.

There you can bet on!

First of all, don't presume you speak for me.

Secondly, this is every bit as extremist as the worst misogynist claiming that all or most women are gold-digging liars who make false accusations to ruin lives.

Don't insult the many lovely men in my life who are gentle kind souls who would never mistreat another person, male or female, and don't insult me by claiming I feel the same as you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

[QUOTE=tara73;105143219]isn't it symptomatic again some men here have nothing better to do than cornering the woman midlandsmissus who just said she will bring the bully to court who sexually assaulted her.

There you can bet on![/QUOTE]

First of all- the first bit never happened. Maybe read the posts again.

Second bit- are you for real? What hysterical garbage. I'm a woman and you do not get to speak for me.

The third bit assumes you can speak for men too and happen to know their inner most thoughts. What a load of insulting bolloxology your post is, to every gender.

Inaccurate. Ill informed. Insulting. Hysterical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Time for Bryan Singer? Here's a metoo story by a named person. A thread of 14, not sure how to link it.

https://twitter.com/Justin_C_Smith/status/925642594935173120

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

There you can bet on!

Pure and utter bolloxology.

Advertisement