Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

It's a loss leader, the whole idea of which is you will go there buy one slab and also do the rest of your shopping there which means the store makes a net profit on your custom that day.

Dunnes are paying 23% vat on those slabs before banging them out for 20 euro.

I used to be a publican and asked the owner of a Supervalu how he sold so cheap. I said I assume it is a loss leader to get people in. He said he doesn't sell anything for a loss. There is a deal done so they get a rebate at the end of the month / quarter to cover the loss and they make a couple of percent margin I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yellow Dog wrote: »
    Was in Lidl yesterday and they had a limited stock of Carling.

24x500ml 4% €20.
    It is in tesco 24 for 24 and as usual very limited stock. I have never seen cases of it, you have to get 6 4packs and there is usually only 1 lot of 24 on display, i.e. under 48cans on the shelf

They also have similar looking 4 packs but they are not in the offer and are a fiver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Any guinness deals ?Or will have to wait for a new promotion cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 51,098 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very little booze bargains in the supermarkets at the moment as it's not like they have to encourage people to come in buying groceries. Guinness slab in Dunnes today @ €32. Feels like an eternity since you could buy 2 slabs for €35 back in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

bazz26 wrote: »
    Very little booze bargains in the supermarkets at the moment as it's not like they have to encourage people to come in buying groceries. Guinness slab in Dunnes today @ €32. Feels like an eternity since you could buy 2 slabs for €35 back in December.

Down to my last 72 cans here.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Macardles stock running low in Cork yet piles of Smithwicks.
    I hope people weren’t reading this thread last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,031 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I walked past a pub yesterday afternoon and they were offloading about 30 cases of Sol on to a pallet to be placed in the back of a truck. Got me thinking with sell by dates and stock potentially sitting around idle for months that to get cashflow going the publicans would prefer to offload them while the pubs here are all closed there is no licenced premises market for them.

Will the unsold beer now be put on the open market at a reduced price?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I walked past a pub yesterday afternoon and they were offloading about 30 cases of Sol on to a pallet to be placed in the back of a truck. Got me thinking with sell by dates and stock potentially sitting around idle for months that to get cashflow going the publicans would prefer to offload them while the pubs here are all closed there is no licenced premises market for them.

Will the unsold beer now be put on the open market at a reduced price?

I saw somewhere that Diageo and Heineken were taking back all stock and crediting accounts.

Wouldn't be surprised if some of the stock ends up in off licences as job lots.

Something to watch out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,098 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They won't be pouring pallets of beer down the drain anyway, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

bazz26 wrote: »
    They won't be pouring pallets of beer down the drain anyway, that's for sure.

To the best of my knowledge, they can in fact do this and get remission of the duty previously paid, which would account for the vast majority of the value involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Yellow Dog wrote: »
    Was in Lidl yesterday and they had a limited stock of Carling.

24x500ml 4% €20

You'd be better drinking hand sanitiser than that ****e :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

grayzer75 wrote: »
    You'd be better drinking hand sanitiser than that ****e :D

Oooh look at Mr Lah-di-dah who managed to actually find hand sanitiser!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge, they can in fact do this and get remission of the duty previously paid, which would account for the vast majority of the value involved.

:eek::eek::mad:

maybe boards can do a deal with them for the drain to be diverted our way.....

That is correct and it will happen with the draught kegs.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

MOH wrote: »
    Oooh look at Mr Lah-di-dah who managed to actually find hand sanitiser!

Homemade stuff = poitin, a liquid for all occasions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭lucalux

Guinness 12 pack 16.99 in Lidl from today until the 1st April, (be gone well before then of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Homemade stuff = poitin, a liquid for all occasions ;)

Seriously, though, you need 70%. alcohol to kill it.

I know a lad, made a still.
    He's going to use Lidl 37.5% vodka, and concentrate it down to 70% to make hand sanitizer.

Strange days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Ben Done wrote: »
    Seriously, though, you need 70%. alcohol to kill it.

I know a lad, made a still.
    He's going to use Lidl 37.5% vodka, and concentrate it down to 70% to make hand sanitizer.

Strange days.

You can easily get hand sanitizers on ebay why waste vodka.

Paid about £26 for 2 300ml bottles. I know a bit expensive but at least I have it.

Back to Booze: Jameson 75cl - €25 Tesco.

Macardles stock running low in Cork yet piles of Smithwicks.
    I hope people weren’t reading this thread last week.

If it was a supermarket its because they are cutting the range available to ease the pressure in the warehouses at the moment. Lots of craft beers and slower selling beers wines and spirits are being temporarily blocked and will only be sporadically available if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

coldfire1x wrote: »
    You can easily get hand sanitizers on ebay why waste vodka.

Paid about £26 for 2 300ml bottles. I know a bit expensive but at least I have it.

Back to Booze: Jameson 75cl - €25 Tesco.

Jameson Crested €29 in Dunnes. With a tenner off €50 voucher you can have 2 for €48 or €24 each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,810 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sol is better off going down the drain anyway :)

Life ain't always empty.

Sol is better off going down the drain anyway :)

As the old folk used to say "you'll see a hard day yet" :)

Lidl have a Chianti Riserva DOCG down from €8.99 to €5 .99 March 26th to April 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Do we think dunnes might bring back the 25% off 6 bottles of wine for Easter?

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭sceach16

Seve OB wrote: »

I don't know. Today , I got 2 euros off 6 bottles (plus the usual 10/50 voucher discount). There was no sign about a discount (that I saw).

They did have slab of BUD for 30 and Guinness for 32 (which reduces by 20% with 10/50 Vouchers).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,779 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

elperello wrote: »
    Lidl have a Chianti Riserva DOCG down from €8.99 to €5 .99 March 26th to April 1st.

Have you seen it on shelves? My local LIDL in D3 seems so swamped with restocking the basics they seem to have forgotten about the wine of the week... As th ad had given me a thirst for Chianti (yes I know we're all imagining Hannibal Lector right now) I picked ip the basic Chianti DOCG for €6.99.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Have you seen it on shelves? My local LIDL in D3 seems so swamped with restocking the basics they seem to have forgotten about the wine of the week... As th ad had given me a thirst for Chianti (yes I know we're all imagining Hannibal Lector right now) I picked ip the basic Chianti DOCG for €6.99.

No sorry if I gave you a bum steer but I'm only shopping once a week at the moment.
    I was going by the website.
    I hope you enjoy the basic anyway. It's pretty good and the Spanish economy needs all the sales they can get .

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

elperello wrote: »
    No sorry if I gave you a bum steer but I'm only shopping once a week at the moment.
    I was going by the website.
    I hope you enjoy the basic anyway. It's pretty good and the Spanish economy needs all the sales they can get .

Spanish Chianti?? That's a new one on me.

Spanish Chianti?? That's a new one on me.

Ah you'd get away with nothing here :)

Either I meant Italian or I think Tuscany is a region of Spain.:)

Seve OB wrote: »

Highly unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JohnB123456

There was an offer on Rockshore that was suppose to last till April 14th.
    I'd added some into my basket on Tesco online but the offer seems to have been taken down now.
    Will they honour this deal still?
    I've sent an email with the screenshot but no reply

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement