Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4k Fire TV stick - PLEASE READ OP BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

• 05-02-2020 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Amazon have dropped the price of their 4k Fire TV stick to £34.99. Can't post a link as I'm on the phone but I'm sure you'll find it :)

MOD EDIT:
    FAQ
    Which firestick should I buy?

4K is not just for 4K. The 4K firestick is a better purchase than non 4K stick
    But it won't shop to Ireland?
    Use parcel wizard/motel/addresspal etc etc
    What can I do with the firestick?
    Well the world is your oyster but it depends on what you want to do with it. There are many apps, many free and most are legit.
    Do I use my amazon account on it?
    Yes you can and if you have prime, you get the benefits of prime. However US customers seem to get a lot more free via IMDB TV etc. You could set up a new amazon account with a US address solely for this purpose. Couple this with a VPN, your stick can give you a lot more options. However your UK prime account is then not available.
    Should I use a VPN?
    It seems fairly common place to use one nowadays. You can get VPN unlimited on a stack social deal for a lifetime price of $15. It auto runs when you start your firestick. It also allows you to watch UK catchup channels. You can easily change between US and UK as necessary.
    If you are getting an error, ensure it is the US streaming picked and not a random US city.
    A VPN gets around geoblocking e.g. You take the firestick on holidays to Italy. RTE player won't work as you are not in Ireland. The VPN makes the firestick think it's in Ireland and then RTE player works.
    What are the essential apps?
    Sub required: Netflix, Disney+, HULU, HBO Now, Sling TV, DirecTv & FuboTv & HBOMAX, eurosport player
    Free: Crackle, Pluto, Tubi, BBC, All4, RTE, Virgin Media, UKTV Play, ITV Hub, My5,
    What other Apps?
    You will need mouse toggle and also orientation for some apps. Mouse toggle allows your remote to act like a mouse.
    Where can I get these apps?
    Some can be found using the amazon search or using downloader (can be downloaded from the main page). However you’ll notice that if you are a UK account, you can’t download crackle. If you are a US account, you can’t download UK catchup. So you can find them using filelinked.
    The best place is to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIPT30w39bA. Tanya is a great source of info for the firestick. Her videos are also great for showing you how to start with downloader, allowing apps to be installed outside of amazon store etc.
    There are 3 main filelinked for firestick, Codes: Tanya 71607934, Average Ed 47713348 & Electrical MD 85810914
    https://www.youtube.com/c/FireTVSticks
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TechDoctorUK/
    RTE Player
    There are 2 APKs you can use. The newer version has live TV but you need the mouse toggle. It is available on downloader (v3.0.4: don’t use a newer one) or via one of the filelinked. The older version (v1) https://www.joujoujou.com/images/rte.apk doesn’t require mouse toggle but there’s no live TV option. You can put this URL into downloader which will download the apk to your firestick.
    Whats the best price at moment?
    It's probably easier looking up amazon or currys for a current price rather than asking it here.
    Can I use my phone to install apps?
    You can use easyfiretools. However start with filelinked and probably Tanya.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

For anyone on the fence, these are fantastic. They've revolutionized my TV viewing. You can use them for the following:

Netflix
    Prime Video
    BBC iPlayer
    Channel 4 player
    Channel 5 player
    ITV player
    YouTube

Obviously some of the above will require a VPN to access but that's easy to setup and use. I haven't used my Chromecast in a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭maximoose

Lovely, bought one a few months ago and been waiting for a price drop to get another.

Little thing works an absolute dream for IPTV compared to other devices I've used - bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

maximoose wrote: »
    Lovely, bought one a few months ago and been waiting for a price drop to get another.

Little thing works an absolute dream for IPTV compared to other devices I've used - bargain

I have a samsung 4K TV and do not see any need for this ! Anyone who is in similar boat ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭MarkY91

muffler wrote: »
    Amazon have dropped the price of their 4k Fire TV stick to £34.99. Can't post a link as I'm on the phone but I'm sure you'll find it :)

Thanks!..deal in for non 4k version too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Loadedscream

Is it worth upgrading from the 2nd generation stick to this? I have a 4k tv but dont watch much 4k content. Is it much faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,577 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

For anyone on the fence, these are fantastic. They've revolutionized my TV viewing. You can use them for the following:

Netflix
    Prime Video
    BBC iPlayer
    Channel 4 player
    Channel 5 player
    ITV player
    YouTube

Obviously some of the above will require a VPN to access but that's easy to setup and use. I haven't used my Chromecast in a very long time.

True but all those can be casted from the phone app.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 30 johnmcdon

kaerobe wrote: »
    Gahh... may have to buy my 3rd one!
    Highly recommend. Great addition to a smart home too.
    I use and find it flawless for BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, Hulu and Disney Plus.
    Apple TV+ app, , Prime and Netflix are spot on.
    Can sideload RTE player.

What VPN do you use?
    Are they very costly.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Is it worth upgrading from the 2nd generation stick to this? I have a 4k tv but dont watch much 4k content. Is it much faster?

imho a very worthwhile upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,195 ✭✭✭maximoose

I use VPN unlimited on mine, works perfectly for streaming apps and was €16 for a limetime sub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Yes, it has more GB of RAM in it and has a volume button. Really handy being able to control the TV, with volume, with on/off functions with just the one remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Berty wrote: »
    Yes, it has more GB of RAM in it and has a volume button. Really handy being able to control the TV, with volume, with on/off functions with just the one remote.

Agree on the RAM...i use SMART IPTV and its good as well !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

True but all those can be casted from the phone app.

For me that's just not as convenient.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Netflix
    Prime Video
    BBC iPlayer
    Channel 4 player
    Channel 5 player
    ITV player
    YouTube

Any chance you can PM how to do this? Ive never used a VPN on the firestick so not sure what way it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭shovel

Please could you copy the pm onto me as well
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

Can these be powered by the TV usb ports?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭jc77

kaerobe wrote: »
    Can sideload RTE player.

Any chance of a PM to point me in direction of doing this please? I attempted before, but failed miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

This is Bargain Alerts; not a hold my hand forum. Can ye not google this stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

perrier wrote: »

Yes but in my experience with my tvs it was hit and miss. Got random shut downs and reboots and messages it wasnt getting enough power.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭jc77

perrier wrote: »

Firestick connects to HDMI port & has a microUSB port which is best connected to mains (cable & plug is supplied with the stick)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,762 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You should change your user name to Killjoy Mugger :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

muffler wrote: »

got this for a non 4k tv doesn't work still in box

• Registered Users Posts: 26,147 ✭✭✭✭Berty

mean gene wrote: »
    got this for a non 4k tv doesn't work still in box

I've 3 4K sticks , one on a 4KTV, 1 on a 1080P and the other on a 720P TV. No issues. Must be something else wrong on your end because the HDMI is generally universal and the OS is on the stick so the TV is just the display monitor essentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i'd rather learn from someone on boards who has experience and is willing to share than to trust the random paid for adverts masquerading as how to's that clog the search results.

nearly everything techie i've learned over the years has been from a boardsie kind enough to share their knowledge.

isn't that the whole point of this place?

anyway, i tried and didn't completely trust the process the last time i tried to set up and use a vpn so would appreciate some guidance too.

thanks for the BA

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Berty wrote: »

I have the 2nd generation. It has the volume buttons. I can control tv via it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭bromley52

Netflix
    Prime Video
    BBC iPlayer
    Channel 4 player
    Channel 5 player
    ITV player
    YouTube

To add to the above you can use your own TVs remote to control 99% of the firestick. Your TV needs to support HDMI CEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

A lot of folks will find this stuff daunting and will more than likely
    give up after reading a few lines of a tutorial

It's easy when you know though

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

got two of these on black friday

outside of an nividea shield these are unbelievable value for money and miles
    better than most android boxes (some at near double the price)

I use it for netflix, prime and youtube mainly...havent used a vpn yet as I'm not overly interested in the itv/bbc player though I do have the rte player

Brilliant for iptv also

• Registered Users Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Do you guys need a VPN to watch Amazon Prime content on the 4K fire stick? I have one That I got last year and it won’t play any Prime content due to location issues. When I contacted Amazon about it they said I would need a basic Firestick in order to be able to watch Prime in Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement