Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

• 27-02-2020 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Are you traveling outside of Ireland in the next few weeks?will you go now because the coronavirus is getting worse or will you cancel?
    Im due to go to prague in 2 weeks and i don't know if i should?

Mod: It has been suggested to merge this with the main Corona thread, but I think a dedicated thread about travel has merit. If it becomes too much like the main thread, I'll just merge the two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Are you traveling outside of Ireland in the next few weeks?will you go now because the coronavirus is getting worse or will you cancel?

Having paid 3.5k for a family holiday in June .... I'm going !! (Should be grand !)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Same as that. Going to Kraków in 2 weeks. I couldn’t give A shyte about coronavirus. Greatest load of nonsense I’ve ever seen and I think it’s just a celebrity version of the flu.

If you have respiratory problems or are old or infirm, then think again. But if you’re young and healthy, go to Prague and have a nice time.

I’ve heard they drive like mad over in Eastern Europe so I’d keep an eye out for that as it’s a real concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Yeah hopefully , going to the Canaries Islands at the end of the month .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Going to the Canaries on Tuesday. Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,486 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'll be going Antarctica this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

Booked flights to France yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Off to Singapore in a few weeks. Only thing stopping me is a travel ban. You're at risk no matter where in the world you are. That risk itself is extremely low anyway. Then even if yo udo contract the virus, your chances of dying as extremely low.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,940 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Same as that. Going to Kraków in 2 weeks. I couldn’t give A shyte about coronavirus. Greatest load of nonsense I’ve ever seen and I think it’s just a celebrity version of the flu.

If you have respiratory problems or are old or infirm, then think again. But if you’re young and healthy, go to Prague and have a nice time.

I’ve heard they drive like mad over in Eastern Europe so I’d keep an eye out for that as it’s a real concern.

:D
    Enjoyed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Yep. Off to Paris in a couple of weeks then to the UK and then the Canaries. Unless we are specifically told not to travel then Im packing my bags!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It is clearly a lot more serious than the flu.
    Pneumonia is no joke.

I have a holiday to Italy booked for mid April contacted hotel and they are letting us delay to later in year will see how things are closer to time.

I'd have no issues going to Prague personally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Dovies wrote: »
    Yep. Off to Paris in a couple of weeks then to the UK and then the Canaries. Unless we are specifically told not to travel then Im packing my bags!
    Can you pack mine too .....

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Do you have any loved ones who are older or immuno compromised, not saying dont go i think you should as things stand but everyone has a responsibility to protect the vulnerable in communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

People seem to be forgetting how you actually get to your holiday destination. You may well be going to an area that has no cases or is very low risk BUT in order to get to your destination you have to pass through what is arguably the biggest cesspit in the world for possible infections (Airports and Planes). To the OP going to Prague, I would have no problem with being in Prague but I wouldn't be going based on the very fact I have to get there using 2 x Airports and 2 x Aircraft.

I am not travelling anywhere for the foreseeable future, while I am not concerned about myself personally, I have young children and elderly parents to think about and it is just not worth the risk. Airports are a MASSIVE risk factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Thinking of taking a short break in the next couple of months.

i'll be keeping an eye to see if there are any good value price-reductions as a result of the panic-merchants canceling trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Will travel insurance cover you if you decide not to go or will they only cover if you're not allowed to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

poolboy wrote: »
    Do you have any loved ones who are older or immuno compromised, not saying dont go i think you should as things stand but everyone has a responsibility to protect the vulnerable in communities.

Let them off, it's all about self gratification now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

gmisk wrote: »
    It is clearly a lot more serious than the flu.

not for most people actually (dont get me wrong it could jkill you just like the flu but mainly if you have an underlying condition - pretty much what the gp said on morning ireland)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Heading to Italy in May, mass hysteria at this stage. Seen it with bird flu, swine flu etc. Life's too short to spend time worrying about this crap.
    Will happily take another cheap holiday if one becomes available because of Covid 19, silver lining and all that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

not for most people actually (dont get me wrong it could jkill you just like the flu but mainly if you have an underlying condition - pretty much what the gp said on morning ireland)

But again, even if it's not more dangerous for you as a young person, if you get it you will be spreading it to people who it is very dangerous to.

Why don't people get this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

It has a mortality rate of 10 times the Flu so it is much more serious. This was discussed at length on Newstalk yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Off to London next week, should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

But again, even if it's not more dangerous for you as a young person if you get it you will be spreading it to people who it is very dangerous to.

Exactly. This is obviously more dangerous than the flu otherwise there would not be the level of concern expressed by the WHO and world governments.

I'm not panicking or scaremongering but it is ridiculous to say this is nothing worse than seasonal flu when it obviously is. The mortality is far higher than the flu.

At the same time I fully realise if you are young and healthy you will probably be fine but you have a moral duty not to be a vector of this disease if at all possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Vancouver / Banff trip in 2 weeks time, flying via the states. Would rather get quarantined in the Rockies than here in Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Ikozma

I would yea

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

poolboy wrote: »

Yes I do. And it probably is more serious than I’m taking credit for. But the half measures were taking to deal with it means were actually doing nothing to stop the spread and are doing a bit to make us feel better.

Yesterday we were chatting in work and someone said “but shur, if someone comes into the office who has been in Italy last week, then we’d all have to self quarantine for 2 weeks and work from home. One guy said “yeah, that’s how you stop the spread of a disease like this”. And she went on to say that then her children would have to stay home from school for 2 weeks and the guy said “yeah, that’s how you stop the spread of a disease like this”.

Nobody was even considering taking the diseases seriously so for now, I’m going to go about my business a usual. If people start taking it seriously then I’ll join in, no problem. But for now it’s just being treated as a big joke.

So I’ll be off to on hols in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Due to fly to Milan on Friday 6th for a weekend (booked back in December)
    Not going to risk it but will try and change the booking to go later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Going to Italy on Monday, hopefully the weather is good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We are going to UK for Easter and Lake Garda and Tuscany in late June.

Not cancelling at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Yes, going to Dahab in Egypt in March. We are also meant to be going to Petra which I am a bit concerned about and am considering skipping if it gets much worse.

At present the main places I would not go would be China, Japan and north Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

But again, even if it's not more dangerous for you as a young person, if you get it you will be spreading it to people who it is very dangerous to.

Exactly, this is how its spreading.
    The young, fit healthy people aren't even realising that they are sick, or they think they just have a regular flu.
    So they are continuing to go about their business as normal, infecting the elderly, the immunocompromised, and small children, who could then potentially die from it.
    Those people are then at risk of spreading it to their families who may be looking after them, or healthcare workers.
    And so the cycle continues. This is exactly how this virus ended up in Europe in the first place.
    Just because you'll be fine if you get it, doesn't mean you can't pass it on to others who might become gravely ill.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement