Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona virus Clare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Why hasn't/hadn't air travel been stopped from at risk countries? When it was brought under control we re-imported the problem form USA and Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭jackboy

saabsaab wrote: »
    Why hasn't/hadn't air travel been stopped from at risk countries? When it was brought under control we re-imported the problem form USA and Brazil.

After Dublin went to level 3 west Clare was full of them. So, I think we have a lot to sort out before worrying about air travel.

jackboy wrote: »
    After Dublin went to level 3 west Clare was full of them. So, I think we have a lot to sort out before worrying about air travel.

True enough but why leave the tap running when you are trying to empty the bath?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What's wrong with Letterkenny IT???

If you want to discuss Covid I'd recommend the main Covid forums, please keep this forum to Clare related discussions.

How is Shannon Airport at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Very quiet
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057132113

Not far off a ghost airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

2 coach loads of what seemed to be 6th years from Tipperary arrived in Lahinch this afternoon, would have thought travel like that would be postponed.

Most likely a transition year group going surfing. My child is in Transition year and theres not much they can do. Most trips are cancelled and no one will take them for work experience .

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Balagan1

2 coach loads of what seemed to be 6th years from Tipperary arrived in Lahinch this afternoon, would have thought travel like that would be postponed.

Heart goes out to them if they were TY year students just starting up with so many doors closed to them. Hard to understand though how two bus loads of students from Tipperary can contravene travel recommendations about not crossing county boundaries under Level 3 to come to Lahinch. As there were two buses, possible that they spaced apart on the buses but still a risk on a pretty long journey. Not good if this is going to become a common sight in Lahinch. Keep an eye.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'd be a little surprised myself if they were from Tipp. Can hardly come under work or education, if it was a bus load of kids on a Sunday. Suppose he could have taken the backroads to get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭black & white

MarkR wrote: »
    I'd be a little surprised myself if they were from Tipp. Can hardly come under work or education, if it was a bus load of kids on a Sunday. Suppose he could have taken the backroads to get there.

Both coaches were from a Thurles company and there was a good few Tipp GAA fleeces etc among the passengers so I am assuming they were from there. Def nit Transition years, seemed all to be 18 ish.

Might have been a minor team up for a training session up on the dunes or something

Clareman wrote: »
    Might have been a minor team up for a training session up on the dunes or something

Possibly although I assumed it was a school because there were a girls and boys there.

Clareman wrote: »

Possibly although I assumed it was a school because there were a girls and boys there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Clare is doing well in the Coronavirus league tables today.

Clare is doing well in the Coronavirus league tables today.

Black humour, eh?

Fifty new cases and still high as 4th behind only Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan in the 14 day incidence rate per 100,000 population.

Is 50 the highest we've had in Clare in one day?

Balagan1 wrote: »
    Black humour, eh?

Fifty new cases and still high as 4th behind only Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan in the 14 day incidence rate per 100,000 population.

Is 50 the highest we've had in Clare in one day?

I think we had 51 recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

We had 59 a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

Looks like level 3 is not working in some counties, level 4 on the cards for the weekend maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Tony and the gang are meeting again on Thursday so I would expect some recommendation to come out of that meeting.

• Advertisement

Seems further restrictions only expected for border counties.

Seems we'll have to figure out on our own what's continuing to go to wrong in Clare.

Dr. Marie Finn on Clare FM this morning saying that people are not clear that if they are contacted by the HSE as close contacts of positive COVID-19 cases they must self-isolate regardless of whether or not they receive a positive or negative test themselves.
    http://www.clare.fm/featured-2/clare-gp-says-awareness-needed-self-isolation-close-contacts/

Am not a regular Clare FM listener but if anyone on here is, are they making announcements to back up the above fact and remind people? It's all very well handing out leaflets with info when people get tested, which they've had to wait for anyway and may not be isolating. And then if they are given info leaflets when they are tested, not everyone bothers to read them. Not everyone finds the terminology easy to figure out. . Seems a need to think outside the current box.

Seems we'll have to figure out on our own what's continuing to go to wrong in Clare.

Dr. Marie Finn on Clare FM this morning saying that people are not clear that if they are contacted by the HSE as close contacts of positive COVID-19 cases they must self-isolate regardless of whether or not they receive a positive or negative test themselves.
    http://www.clare.fm/featured-2/clare-gp-says-awareness-needed-self-isolation-close-contacts/

Am not a regular Clare FM listener but if anyone on here is, are they making announcements to back up the above fact and remind people? It's all very well handing out leaflets with info when people get tested, which they've had to wait for anyway and may not be isolating. And then if they are given info leaflets when they are tested, not everyone bothers to read them. Not everyone finds the terminology easy to figure out. . Seems a need to think outside the current box.

I'd say the border counties including Clare. Anyway it's not too far from the border really.

Well this is nonsense really. When level 3 was announced in Dublin loads of them came to Clare so the spike is fully expected.

jackboy wrote: »
    Well this is nonsense really. When level 3 was announced in Dublin loads of them came to Clare so the spike is fully expected.

The fact that a respected doctor voices the opinion on national radio that people are not following isolating restrictions is nonsense?

You think Clare's risen figures are attributed solely to "loads of them" who came to Clare from Dublin when Level 3 was announced?

Any kind of breakdown on who these "them" are who have spiked our numbers in your opinion?

I live on a "rural" road in Clare that a sat nav will send you along if you need to avoid major roads to get to say kilkee or doonbeg, all through lockdown I saw limerick and dublin reg cars pass my house, these cars were def not local so I recon there was a lot of people visiting their holiday homes when they shouldn't have been.

mamax wrote: »
    I live on a "rural" road in Clare that a sat nav will send you along if you need to avoid major roads to get to say kilkee or doonbeg, all through lockdown I saw limerick and dublin reg cars pass my house, these cars were def not local so I recon there was a lot of people visiting their holiday homes when they shouldn't have been.

For sure lots of people came to holiday homes at each seaside place in the original lockdown. But claim is that people came from Dublin to Clare again later when Dublin went to Level 3. Surely would have involved pulling quite a lot of kids out of school, so not exactly a hidden happening?

Seems a big attempt being made to prevent any such movement this weekend:
    Extra Garda Checkpoints In Clare This Weekend 16th October 2020
    http://www.clare.fm/news/extra-garda-checkpoints-clare-weekend/

mitresize5 wrote: »
    I lose another little bit of faith in humanity everytime I come across Facebook groups like the one referenced in the deleted post.

All the international and local science points to schools not being the source of outbreaks or exacerbating them. Any school that has a case send the close contacts home and sends a letter to every other household in the school.

No one is hiding anything.

And then you have 90,000 idiots with nothing better to do than look for the 'truth'

Over 100,000 "idiots" (your term) looking for the truth now.

Bamboozled public need certainty amid virus uncertainty
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1016/1172039-fergal-bowers-analysis/
    Updated / Saturday, 17 Oct 2020 10:31

…It would be valuable to see more detail on the number of cases in schools, the outbreaks and onward transmission to homes. At the moment, all we have is the official number of school outbreaks at 73 and the number of outbreaks in private houses at 3,532.
    There is also a disconnect between the official figures on schools cases and what some parents are reporting.
    One Facebook page with over 100,000 members has been collating official confirmations of cases, according to the parents involved.
    They put the number at 724 cases in 499 schools. The breakdown they provide is 251 cases at primary level, 377 in secondary schools and 21 in pre-schools...

For sure lots of people came to holiday homes at each seaside place in the original lockdown. But claim is that people came from Dublin to Clare again later when Dublin went to Level 3. Surely would have involved pulling quite a lot of kids out of school, so not exactly a hidden happening?

Not every holiday home owner has kids in school.
    I know a guy from clare living and working in dublin and 2 weeks ago he posted pics of himself online in a different county to the 2 mentioned, yesterday he posted pics of himself back in clare, yes he is a moron but how many others are there like him?
    We are now facing lockdown again partly because of this type of behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

[/B]

Over 100,000 "idiots" (your term) looking for the truth now.

Bamboozled public need certainty amid virus uncertainty
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1016/1172039-fergal-bowers-analysis/
    Updated / Saturday, 17 Oct 2020 10:31

…It would be valuable to see more detail on the number of cases in schools, the outbreaks and onward transmission to homes. At the moment, all we have is the official number of school outbreaks at 73 and the number of outbreaks in private houses at 3,532.
    There is also a disconnect between the official figures on schools cases and what some parents are reporting.
    One Facebook page with over 100,000 members has been collating official confirmations of cases, according to the parents involved.
    They put the number at 724 cases in 499 schools. The breakdown they provide is 251 cases at primary level, 377 in secondary schools and 21 in pre-schools...

Yeah but the home outbreaks came into the house from schools. They don't want to admit that so theyre all classed as home outbreaks. So better keep everyone at home and close loads of buinsseses and leave overcrowded lethal achools open. Crazy

• Advertisement

frank8211 wrote: »
    Yeah but the home outbreaks came into the house from schools. They don't want to admit that so theyre all classed as home outbreaks. So better keep everyone at home and close loads of buinsseses and leave overcrowded lethal achools open. Crazy

Do you have any source for that?

Advertisement