Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dundalk Restaurant Reviews

• 10-09-2019 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭

Keen to hear some opinions on food in Dundalk and surrounding area. Didn't see a thread from my search.

I'll kick off with a question...

Anyone tried Square restaurant? Keen to try it, myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The Square is good food but the place is too small. We felt cramped and some people were uncomfortable sitting in the window. We like their food but will stick to their original site at the Courthouse Carrick in future.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

The mrs and I tried the square and the fish courses were some of the best I've eaten. Wasn't as impressed with other courses but giev them another go. Would recommend it.

I find Dundalk to be really lacking in good places to eat unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

The Square is good food but the place is too small. We felt cramped and some people were uncomfortable sitting in the window. We like their food but will stick to their original site at the Courthouse Carrick in future.

After years of meaning to do so, I finally ate in the Courthouse last month and was very impressed. I know Conor, the chef at Square worked in the Courthouse years ago, but would I be right in saying that this new venture is aiming to be closer to fine dining?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

I find Dundalk to be really lacking in good places to eat unfortunately.
    I agree but its improving at least.
    I really liked the square. Only ate there at lunch but everyone i was with enjoyed it with the fish being remarked upon the most.
    There's a nice wee Italian at the bottom of mc evoys called Nanna Nonnas (think it was renamed but cant remember the new name) The decor is terrible but the food is really nice.
    Of course atami is still really nice and rock salt offers some good options but the menu is a bit samey after a few trips.
    The Townhouse menu is much improved compared to Eno.

Certainly a lot more options available compared to last year which is great to see

seannash wrote: »
    I agree but its improving at least.
    I really liked the square. Only ate there at lunch but everyone i was with enjoyed it with the fish being remarked upon the most.
    There's a nice wee Italian at the bottom of mc evoys called Nanna Nonnas (think it was renamed but cant remember the new name) The decor is terrible but the food is really nice.
    Of course atami is still really nice and rock salt offers some good options but the menu is a bit samey after a few trips.
    The Townhouse menu is much improved compared to Eno.

Certainly a lot more options available compared to last year which is great to see

This is my main complaint about Rock Salt. It could never be one of those places I visit regularly for lunch because of this reason. That and I feel that unless you get seated in the main section, to the left, you're not in a great seat. Was sat near the back a couple of times, by the back door and you really feel in the way.

Interesting to see what the near restaurant (steakhouse?) opening in Blackrock will be like. A lot of money being put into it, so I hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

I'd like if anyone had reviews about Lennon's and The Spotted Dog.

Was in Lennons and loved it, but it was almost a year ago. Heard good things from others since.

Went to Square on Saturday night. I knew it was small, but wow. Anyway, food was lovely. Really enjoyed it. There's not a lot on the plate, but it's beautifully flavoured and cooked. Had the cod, myself and it was delicious.

We were a bit late so had to rush our dessert a bit, as the next seating was due. Will definitely go back and try some of the other options on the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Lennons - Really good food, been there several times and was never disappointed

Spotted dog - Food was fine but I feel they need to refresh the dining room, it still resembles the greasy spoon that was there previously

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Roddylarge

Been to Lennons multiple times, its always lovely and the specials are fab.

Only been to the Spotted Dog once, it was just ok. Portions are small and I wasn't overly impressed on the flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Lennon's is okay. Wouldn't be my go to for a restaurant in town though.
    I hate to say it though but the head waiter really puts me and a lot of people i know going there. If you've been and experienced him youll know what i mean

• Advertisement

:eek:Lennon's would charge you €20 for this!

71941806_10206737756640334_4485836278289399808_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_oc=AQnoR24fRspHaF98n-tNSKOi4NddYec16h-Oi6T_eqNeTb7FKG1-m7z3jv7S4DIgQH4&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=84eed51641537ba953b3b79693333709&oe=5E204FD3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

So The Clermont has re-opened.

Anyone been in it yet?

So The Clermont has re-opened.

Anyone been in it yet?

Not yet but booked to go there for a Christmas party / meal in early December. Intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,939 ✭✭✭✭event

Can't find any mention of a menu online.
    Which is a joke in this day and age tbh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Menu is very basic tbh but I think their fine dining offering is upstairs and is yet to open. Decor is fabulous and a lovely atmosphere. Pricey bit would go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

Try Strandfield house or Dark Horse Pizza. Both are vegan but better tasting food than most places in Dundalk.

Can anyone recommend somewhere nice that's not a chipper for a tasty delivery or pick-up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Can anyone recommend somewhere nice that's not a chipper for a tasty delivery or pick-up ?

Delish Catering do a great Thai Menu for the weekends

Spotted Dog, Square Restaurant, Townhouse Grill and Rocksalt (blackrock) all doing weekend takeaways also

Advertisement