Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Athlone thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

Hey all,

I’ve moved to athlone but don’t really know much of the area around me. Just wondering is there any green areas around the town or less than 5km out of it where you could bring a football or do a bit of running, at a socially distanced length. Thanks :)

Burgess Park which is beside the golden island and the river Shannon is a good place for a walk or run.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

Hey all,

I’ve moved to athlone but don’t really know much of the area around me. Just wondering is there any green areas around the town or less than 5km out of it where you could bring a football or do a bit of running, at a socially distanced length. Thanks :)

What area of the town have you recently moved too and i will suggest a few places mose suitable to where you are living.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bloc Party!

What area of the town have you recently moved too and i will suggest a few places mose suitable to where you are living.

Thanks everyone for getting back to me. I’m only about 5 minutes of a walk from golden island.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

Thanks everyone for getting back to me. I’m only about 5 minutes of a walk from golden island.

You should be able to get a kick around in Jim's Field as its known down past Dunnes Montree on the left hand side. Every day while driving home i see people out playing and running in Iona Park on the west side of town either.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ceirseach

Builders on site at boat club. Demolition next week I hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

Well done to Athlone for giving Gemma O'Doherty the reception she deserved yesterday. Her speech was drowned out by chants of 'Go home Gemma' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Boat club knocked

When are the shops in the town centre shopping centre reopening does any one know ? And also Athlone library?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

When are the shops in the town centre shopping centre reopening does any one know ? And also Athlone library?

Clothes shops are meant to open the 29th I think, and most of the others are already open!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

Boat club knocked

And will arise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

dePeatrick wrote: »
    Well done to Athlone for giving Gemma O'Doherty the reception she deserved yesterday. Her speech was drowned out by chants of 'Go home Gemma' :D

A better reception would have been people simply not turning up. She gets off on getting a reaction

A better reception would have been people simply not turning up. She gets off on getting a reaction
    Absolutely agree, But when I saw the crowd I diverted and drove down slowly by it, I would not normally do this but I think the total lack of live entertainment under lockdown made me curious, same for the people who joined it I think.

Best option ignore her completely, second best is boo her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Saw some work on the Greenway at the White Gates happening today. About fing time but good to see. Maybe the Greens getting the gig helped (although its likely more to do with the lockdown ending/reducing)

[HTML][/HTML]Anyone interested in playing Petanque? A small group of us started playing in Burgess park last year and have resumed again today. We have spare sets of balls etc. Very easy learn and your level of fitness does not matter.

No we're not this good but we can dream :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

[HTML][/HTML]Anyone interested in playing Petanque? A small group of us started playing in Burgess park last year and have resumed again today. We have spare sets of balls etc. Very easy learn and your level of fitness does not matter.

Lovely idea..

Are you supplying the Pastis?

And, do you have a measuring stick that can measure distance from the cochonnet to the boule EXACTLY in accordance with the effects of the position of the Sun and the day of the year? If not, Provencal arguments from centuries ago will be re-played and battles re-enacted in Burgess Park that perhaps Burgess Park will not be able to deal with.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

On a related French outdoor activities note, did anyone notice a Facebook post from Arcadia Athlone where they shared a post by Decathlon and responded to a comment with “ But they've announced they want to open a total of 8 stores in Ireland. So, as they say, watch this space! 😉”.

That would be a fantastic addition to the town.

Has anyone heard what pubs are not reopening after the lockdown, for whatever reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Has anyone heard what pubs are not reopening after the lockdown, for whatever reason?

Heard a few names mentioned, but to be honest I don't think it's good to speculate. Even if pubs aren't closing and they get discussed here, people might stop going when they re open, as they could assume they are dead etc or suppliers might not give them credit and the likes and we could contribute to the demise of the pubs.
    It' will be a shame if any pubs close as Athlone had kind of gotten it's buzz back in the last year or two before covid after a bleak few years.

Yes, it's better to wait until they reopen and then comment on the ones that failed to reopen.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Lovely idea..

Are you supplying the Pastis?

And, do you have a measuring stick that can measure distance from the cochonnet to the boule EXACTLY in accordance with the effects of the position of the Sun and the day of the year? If not, Provencal arguments from centuries ago will be re-played and battles re-enacted in Burgess Park that perhaps Burgess Park will not be able to deal with.

:D:D:D
    If there's an argument it will be umbrellas at dawn...in the Park :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

IS there anywhere in town to print stuff on paper during all this lockdown etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Recharge Cartridges? They are back open at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Walking the green way from White gates towards Garrycastle Bridge, on my left I notice what looks like a new park of some sort with nice walking paths.

Does anyone know what this is?

Seems to be near completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Wonderful resource for the area. Just drove by it today when checking to see if the playground was open there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

martin1 wrote: »
    Walking the green way from White gates towards Garrycastle Bridge, on my left I notice what looks like a new park of some sort with nice walking paths.

Does anyone know what this is?

Seems to be near completion.

I think this is the upgrades to the sport centre and their outdoor running path/track

https://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/west-meath/athlone-regional-sports-centre-set-significant-expansion/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

IS there anywhere in town to print stuff on paper during all this lockdown etc

Kiosk near the escalator on the upper level of Town Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

We in Longford/Westmeath are lucky, we have three TDs in the new government. We in Athlone are, maybe, no so lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Mearings wrote: »
    We in Longford/Westmeath are lucky, we have three TDs in the new government. We in Athlone are, maybe, no so lucky.

Nothing to do with luck. A large number of people in Athlone made a conscious decision to vote for a Sinn Fein candidate from Mullingar, when a local politician had done a decent job looking after the town for the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Nothing to do with luck. A large number of people in Athlone made a conscious decision to vote for a Sinn Fein candidate from Mullingar, when a local politician had done a decent job looking after the town for the last few years.

Exactly how did a local TD benefit you directly ?

Advertisement