Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baldoyle to Portmarnock Walkway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭themoney

This was posted on one of the cycling threads. I haven't be up to confirm myself

so the baldoyle-portmarnock cycle way is open?
    https://twitter.com/ireland_active/status/118

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

themoney wrote: »
    This was posted on one of the cycling threads. I haven't be up to confirm myself

Looked far from open the other day when I was passing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭traco

They had a huge pump there this morning where I imagine it was under water again closer to the Moyne road end, river flowing down from it at the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

themoney wrote: »

Thats at Robswalls in Malahide

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Thats at Robswalls in Malahide

for some reason the cyclists don't use this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RCK1

londonred wrote: »

Yes never very annoying too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

It might be because they have to stop twice inside of 200 metres to cross a road and get back onto the road (when there is a gap) or because people walk on it and ignore the bike lane.

Or maybe another reason I am not familiar with

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The track the council are working on at Robswals only had a mud surface til now, its not the bad one parallel to the main road, where you have to yield to traffic turning onto and off the main road, and then yield again to rejoin the main carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

at least 100 mtrs of it under water just north of Moyne Rd

I don't think this issue is going to go away.

I don't why they didn't build it further up the hill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭antimatterx

https://twitter.com/sticky_bottle/status/1191469556843331584?s=21

Not as if Baldoyle has a history with flooding, and this couldn't of been predicted.

• Advertisement

Is that not more towards portmarnock around that airport thingy
    https://twitter.com/sticky_bottle/status/1191469556843331584?s=21

Not as if Baldoyle has a history with flooding, and this couldn't of been predicted.

neris wrote: »
    Is that not more towards portmarnock around that airport thingy

Seagrange suffered awfully with floods back in the day. Baldoyle has a history with flooding

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

The whole area is a flood plain, the greenway was delayed while developers of the houses near the station installed drainage works so the hope is that this was a blockage or other failure rather than the system simply being unable to cope

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That section of the old racecourse is pure marshland anyway and has always been prone to flooding.

Seagrange suffered awfully with floods back in the day. Baldoyle has a history with flooding

I know, we nearly got flooded out of it a few years back (less then 10 years ago) during one very heavy days rain. The park at seagrange/grangeroad is like a bog from October-Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

neris wrote: »
    I know, we nearly got flooded out of it a few years back (less then 10 years ago) during one very heavy days rain. The park at seagrange/grangeroad is like a bog from October-Summer.

We were just talking the other day about a young boy who drowned in Baldoyle in 1993.
    It was near the Brookstone Road as far as I know. Can't find anything online.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Fiolina wrote: »
    We were just talking the other day about a young boy who drowned in Baldoyle in 1993.
    It was near the Brookstone Road as far as I know. Can't find anything online.

One of my teachers in St Peter and Paul's back in the day told my class about that. Apparently happened during a flood, I believe around the stream that runs north through Seagrange Park and then under Brookstone Road here. I'm fairly sure he was teaching there at the time, long retired by now though. The way he told it, the boy fell into the stream somehow and was trapped at the culvert under the road. Terrible.

Think he was about 12 or 13 and a 1st year up in Fintans, Id a friend in the same year as him and rerember him telling me they were getting a day off school cause the lad drowned. The way I was told it was he fell in and ended up in the pipes under the road. Where we are we get issues with the sewage drains from time to time with heavy rains and reckon its some thing to so with the pumping station in Admiral park

i was about 10 or 11, the council had dug out all along the wall to divert water under the road and connect with the stream they were burying under where the walkway into castlerosse / racecourse park is now.

the trench was about 8 feet deep and 6 feet wide. it ran parallel to the road, started about a little after where the entrance gate is now, it stopped about where the trees are now and went under the road. the trench is marked where the metal lids for the pumps are now.
    it was normally about 2-4 feet deep with ground water and had been open for some time if i remember. it never caused any issues, other than someone occasionally slipping in and getting soaked and muddy, there were open streams everywhere there and we were all used to it.

however, on the day it rained, baldoyle flooded the way baldoyle always did at that time. the water was about 2 foot deep on the grange road side and the same on the segrange park side, the trench was completely covered, as was the entrance to the pipe under the road. the amount of water basically created a super strong whirlpool that was sucking everything under.

the only way thru, while staying dry, from one end of grange road to another, was by walking on the wall, although you would eventually have to jump in anyway as it only got shallower towards the racecourse shopping centre. it dried off at about the entrance to the car park.

i saw the boys that day. not sure how long it was before we heard about the drowning, they were doing the same as everyone else was when i saw them, jumping in the water and getting the past the worst bits by walking on the wall. it was always a bit of a laugh when the road flooded. usually some poor unfortunate delivery man would get stuck and hand out his flood damaged sweets under pressure from the kids.

the last i saw them i was walking back towards meadowbrook and they were heading along the wall towards the racecourse shops. from what i know, one boy fell into the trench, and got sucked into the whirlpool. the other boy and a man passing were both almost drowned trying to pull him out.

they were both a year or two older but i knew them both. there is next to nothing i can find online about it except some weird chinese site. you would probably need to go to the local library to read newspaper archives from then

https://www.zhongwaiwenxian.cn/articles_u37u3b.html

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

I'm conscious of just derailing the thread here, but given the difficulty of finding any reports from the time, I thought I'd post this here for anyone who might be interested. Hopefully nothing of the sort happens in Baldoyle again, and it seems with flood management works done over the past two decades, it shouldn't. Anyway, here's a Sunday Independent article from 1993 that I uncovered, it's available on the British Newspaper Archive website (you can get 3 pages for free if you sign up).

• Advertisement

Mention of flooding in this and the works done at 15 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Conchir wrote: »
    I'm conscious of just derailing the thread here, but given the difficulty of finding any reports from the time, I thought I'd post this here for anyone who might be interested. Hopefully nothing of the sort happens in Baldoyle again, and it seems with flood management works done over the past two decades, it shouldn't. Anyway, here's a Sunday Independent article from 1993 that I uncovered, it's available on the British Newspaper Archive website (you can get 3 pages for free if you sign up).

I'm the one who derailed the thread but thanks v much for this, very hard to find any information. Will have a read now.

Appears to be open now? Saw one gentleman cycling on it this morning

RCK1 wrote: »
    Appears to be open now? Saw one gentleman cycling on it this morning

Not officially. They're waiting on ESB to connect the lights

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

...are the fences up? I'd be afraid to go on it in case it was all locked off.

some videos on the link below of a lad who cycles it last weekend (think hes a boardsie aswell)

http://www.stickybottle.com/blogs/video-first-look-at-new-portmarnock-to-baldoyle-greenway-in-full/

Just passed it on the bus and unsurprisingly flooded! The stretch just the hill(before coming from Portmarnock)before you get to the new traffic lights crossing. Surely drainage could have been improved/factored into the design considering this section flooded during construction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

No surprise seeing it flooded.
    In typical Irish fashion, I wonder if further costs need to be incurred here.
    Budget Vs actual spend likely to be usual case of 'whoops - didn't see that coming'.

As for those lights - there only appear to be a couple of feet off the ground.
    Probably not the best for a security point of view?

Advertisement