Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baldoyle to Portmarnock Walkway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Does anyone have any update on the proposed cycleway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

Public consultation taking place Tue/Wed/Thu this week

http://www.dublincycling.com/cycling/sutton-malahide-greenway-information-evenings

More information at https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/sutton-malahide-greenway/

The images shown on the individual pages are hard to read, but there are links under "Materials" to high-resolution PDF files that are much better.

By the way, the above consultation is about all of the Malahide to Sutton route except for the Portmarnock/Baldoyle link, which is a separate scheme that is further advanced. Apparently, that plan is going to Bord Pleanala very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Planning Granted by An Bord Pleanala . Work due to start next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

thats great news!

i heard mentioned a plan to create a quietway from the coast at bayside, thru bayside estate, under bayside dart station, across seagrange park and racecourse park and out onto red arches road to connect with the new greenway also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Construction has started, due for completion by October 19th!

https://twitter.com/fingalcoco/status/1154429690179964929?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭thelord

Destroying Habitat and Nature

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

thelord wrote: »
    Destroying Habitat and Nature

I take it you're equally vociferous about the hundreds of kms of motorways being laid around the country this and every year?

Alternative is to give higher proportion of road space over to non-car people to be able to get safely from A to B.

Or, if its a genuine ecological concern, lets stop building roads and actually start filling in existing roads and give them back to nature and only have a barest-bones network of roads.

Duckjob wrote: »
    I take it you're equally vociferous about the hundreds of kms of motorways being laid around the country this and every year?

Alternative is to give higher proportion of road space over to non-car people to be able to get safely from A to B.

Or, if its a genuine ecological concern, lets stop building roads and actually start filling in existing roads and give them back to nature and only have a barest-bones network of roads.

This is not a road its a greenway but its being bulit ontop of the green. its only purpose is so a load of fat middle aged men in lycra can cyle from portmarknock.

Most locals dont want it built

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I was down the Widows yesterday and lots of the locals think its a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

thelord wrote:
    This is not a road its a greenway but its being bulit ontop of the green. its only purpose is so a load of fat middle aged men in lycra can cyle from portmarknock.

So it's only for fat middle aged men cycling from Portmarnock? Would it be for any other kind of cyclists maybe? Or is the issue here to do with cyclists in general?

And there is is... the real motivation comes out.

It turns out a lot of people are getting fed up being a slave to the motor car to get around anywhere safely in this country. Many of those people are very ready to embrace a more modern Ireland where people get out more by sustainable means, and are more healthy and happy so that they don't have to spend their time obsessing over middle aged mens lycra clad arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

I am a local and have been for 47 years and I think it is long overdue and coincidentally so does everybody I know, they think it will be a great facility for those that want to cycle with their kids in a safer environment between the 2 towns. The general feeling in Baldoyle is that this an amenity that should have been built years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Why didn't these locals protest then? At least the fat middle age me in lycra get out and about instead of sitting on their arse on a forum whinging.

Its a sad country where nobady cares nature and wildlife

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

thelord I'm beginning to think you're trolling. Be warned that it won't be tolerated in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm a big fan of greenways and they are brilliant for families and young ones cycling however I would fear that this stretch could become a speedway for the lads and their teenage dreams of riding in the peloton

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of greenways and they are brilliant for families and young ones cycling however I would fear that this stretch could become a speedway for the lads and their teenage dreams of riding in the peloton

At least the cycle path is a little be away from the walking part.

Dub13 wrote: »
    At least the cycle path is a little be away from the walking part.

I'd hope so

As long as they regulate their actions according to how busy the stretch is and everyone shows a bit of respect and regard for others I don't see an issue.

Some people are cocks regardless of how they're getting around, but if the path is used extensively by people of all ages and abilities, I think any cockish bahaviour will get regulated organically.

• Advertisement

You won't be complaining if they stick to the road then, I hope?

never have

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RCK1

And there is is... the real motivation comes out.

It turns out a lot of people are getting fed up being a slave to the motor car to get around anywhere safely in this country. Many of those people are very ready to embrace a more modern Ireland where people get out more by sustainable means, and are more healthy and happy so that they don't have to spend their time obsessing over middle aged mens lycra clad arses.

I'm a local and most people I talk to think it's a fantastic idea for both cyclists and pedestrians. The road for walking is extremely dangerous with just a small grass verge. For cyclists too it's bad with motorists often over taking danglously. Even motorists should be happy as no tailbacks etc..

I am actually seriously considering commuting by bike now into the city,having never done so before, with this addition. I always felt it to unsafe. From Portmarnock it will now be possible to get into the city mostly on a separated cycle track. I havnt even gotten to the leisure benefits.

As long as they regulate their actions according to how busy the stretch is and everyone shows a bit of respect and regard for others I don't see an issue.

Some people are cocks regardless of how they're getting around, but if the path is used extensively by people of all ages and abilities, I think any cockish bahaviour will get regulated organically.
    Yes those type of people exist in all walks of life- cycling, motorists and even walking down a busy footpath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Nice video of the greenway:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Serious drainage issues on the section between Moyne Rd and Portmarnock.

Around 40 yards of it was under water yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

was looking at it today at the baldoyle end while stuck in traffic. The paths look very narrow for both walking and cycling. the footpath looks like 2 people will fill across it and the same with the cycle lane so no walking or cycling 2 a breast into oncomers

neris wrote: »
    was looking at it today at the baldoyle end while stuck in traffic. The paths look very narrow for both walking and cycling. the footpath looks like 2 people will fill across it and the same with the cycle lane so no walking or cycling 2 a breast into oncomers
    Just passed by it there. The water seems to have cleared or being cleared from other nights but still not good. It does seem very skinny especially the footpath. The cycle track seems a little bit wider.

The cost of it seems high considering the above. Must be the same folks that did the children's hospital

Does anyone know is it still on track for end of Oct completion or is that gone out the window ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Current schedule is early November

Advertisement