Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baldoyle to Portmarnock Walkway

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

The bridge is a disaster waiting to him. It's too far out and you can't see what's coming down the road when turning from the back roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Who were the engineers/engineers on this project, Atkins I believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

whiskeyman wrote: »
    No surprise seeing it flooded.
    In typical Irish fashion, I wonder if further costs need to be incurred here.
    Budget Vs actual spend likely to be usual case of 'whoops - didn't see that coming'.

As for those lights - there only appear to be a couple of feet off the ground.
    Probably not the best for a security point of view?

Lights were designed to only brighten with movement and to minimise the effect on wildlife as far as I remember from seeing the plans .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Who were the engineers/engineers on this project, Atkins I believe?

Correct Atkins were the consultants and are currently working on the design of the next stage from Portmarnock to Malahide .. how it will go through
    Portmarnock will make interesting reading given the laccko f space through the village !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

dak wrote: »
    Correct Atkins were the consultants and are currently working on the design of the next stage from Portmarnock to Malahide .. how it will go through
    Portmarnock will make interesting reading given the laccko f space through the village !
    ....sure they can go over the tops of the dunes, like the fence :rolleyes: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

The bridge is a disaster waiting to him. It's too far out and you can't see what's coming down the road when turning from the back roads

i would urge people to email local councillors and/or the fingal council roads department roads@fingal.ie

the next area committee is on the 4th march, and the greenway will be up for discussion, i've emailed asking that the lights be resolved and the more contact they have about it, the more they might chance theyll do something

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

This path is for cyclists as well isn't it? Saw loads still using the road yesterday. I've cycled on that road before and really didn't like it. Anyone know why they wouldn't use the walk way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Nokotan wrote: »
    This path is for cyclists as well isn't it? Saw loads still using the road yesterday. I've cycled on that road before and really didn't like it. Anyone know why they wouldn't use the walk way?

It was flooded and impassable for ages might still be?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Nokotan wrote: »

Half of it is still flooded, you can't get through it on the bike. Went to cycle it today but had to turn around and go back onto the road. Then got beeped at and harassed by 3 cars telling me to go cycle in the flooded path :mad:

Also its still technically closed/under construction - with no trespassing signs. If you had an accident you might have issues getting insurance to cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

deconduo wrote: »
    Half of it is still flooded, you can't get through it on the bike. Went to cycle it today but had to turn around and go back onto the road. Then got beeped at and harassed by 3 cars telling me to go cycle in the flooded path :mad:

Also its still technically closed/under construction - with no trespassing signs. If you had an accident you might have issues getting insurance to cover it.

Ah right, saw some bikes on it and thought it must be fine. Cheers

• Advertisement

There is issue with the drainage and it won't be signed off, nor will the contractors be paid until it's rectified. ESB won't connect the lights until it's signed off on, and it won't officially be open until ESB connect the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

complete joke

it was drained over the weekend and I believe it's now passable. I'm taking a spin at lunch and will revert.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Zulu wrote: »
    it was drained over the weekend and I believe it's now passable. I'm taking a spin at lunch and will revert.

It is drained there were loads of people on it Saturday but bikes were still using the road

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

It is drained there were loads of people on it Saturday but bikes were still using the road

Social distancing ? Maybe it was too crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

i was out on saturday, probably 1 person on the road for every 30 or so on the track. any of the following reasons

the track is too narrow and it was full of families so if you are in a group and want to maintain speed on a day like yesteday you'll stay on the road
    its not obvious thats it open as the fences are all still up (its not actually officially open anywya)
    its not signposted at all so if you miss it, you cant just jump back on
    word of the flooding is well known so people dont bother going on, just to have to turn back around halfway

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Zulu wrote: »

Yes, it was fine yesterday. There were a good few people walking and cycling on it. I didn't spot any bikes on the road. There were long tailbacks on the road anyway.

Just back in. Lovely now it's cleared. Still a bit bit crap getting on/off, but much better than the road, thats for sure.

The bit that was flooded had a bit of loose gravel on it, but it was fine.

This officially opened in the last few weeks.

It appears to be very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Does anybody feel this is very dangerous at the end of each segment when it joins with the road, there is some signage but i think more significant barriers should be erected to prevent a child or adult cycling, scooting straight out onto a busy road. Feels an accident waiting to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Does anybody feel this is very dangerous at the end of each segment when it joins with the road, there is some signage but i think more significant barriers should be erected to prevent a child or adult cycling, scooting straight out onto a busy road. Feels an accident waiting to happen.

Baldoyle side of it is very poor. Trying to go south, from the Greenway to the other side of the road is a very poor design.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

I think the portmarnock end for cycling isnt the safest. You come off the track just beyond a bend in the road and then have to try get into position for a roundabout and on trying to get onto it from portmarnock you have a narrow path and roadway to stop on before trying to cross traffic

Advertisement