Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

LowOdour wrote: »
    So just out of Lidl....not only were the queues long but everyone let in at the one time and no one giving two fcuks about being in on top of each other. Madness

My experiences with early morning shopping is large queues outside before the shop opens, and about 40 minutes after it opens, a nice short queue which gradually builds up again by noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Doors wide open and a few people “browsing” when I passed earlier

Wasn't that way a few days ago, surprised tbh. But knowing that now, may pop in next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Laviski wrote: »
    Wasn't that way a few days ago, surprised tbh. But knowing that now, may pop in next week.

Bad form out of the owners

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Back to news
    The St Nicholas Saturday Market continues with a new look.

To allow for improved social distancing, we will now have all hot food traders operating in the car park of St Patrick's School and cold food traders operating around the church.

We have implemented a one way system entering from Shop Street and we want to encourage the public to shop and go as opposed to gathering in groups.

We have marked out a through route and a queueing area in front of stalls for customers, which should help the flow through the market.

All food traders will operate in the traditional market area on Sundays.

101441285-3120420111329699-903285889260584960-o.jpg
    image from here

• Registered Users Posts: 45,250 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Great idea. Fair play to them for finding a workable solution pretty quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

biko wrote: »
    Back to news

101441285-3120420111329699-903285889260584960-o.jpg
    image from here

That's excellent! Wish it could be like that all the time.

Was driving from Briarhill in the Oranmore direction earlier when I remarked to my wife, that in normal years the Wexford strawberry sellers would be setting up for the first weekend of the season but no chance of seeing them this year. Low and behold, no sooner had I finished saying the words when there in front of me just past the Clinic roundabout was the stall. Was great to see a bit of normality and really made my day. The strawberries were lovely too

There was another stand selling them in Clarinbridge too.

There will be more trouble like this if something isn’t done. These young people have had no school, no structure, no sport, no part time job options, no shops, nothing. It’s going to boil over soon and maybe then people will realise locking people up for months on end - while all other countries used the new data coming through - was a monumental disaster by our authorities.

There are idiots in everyday life, Don’t make excuses these teenagers are just idiots

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Prom news moved to own thread

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Prom chat moved to own thread

• Advertisement

Prom chat moved to own thread

Show it not have it’s own thread? Let the prom for the actually prom. Call this covid teenagers Galway?

Prom news moved to own thread

It should have it’s own thread? Let the prom for the actually prom. Call this covid teenagers Galway?

https://www.thejournal.ie/restaurant-street-tables-limerick-5112184-Jun2020/

Restaurant street tables to be trialled as part of Limerick council's recovery plans. Have GCC any thing in the pipeline or are they too busy in fighting and thinking of new ways to be indepth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

https://www.thejournal.ie/restaurant-street-tables-limerick-5112184-Jun2020/

Restaurant street tables to be trialled as part of Limerick council's recovery plans. Have GCC any thing in the pipeline or are they too busy in fighting and thinking of new ways to be indepth

Yes let's ignore all the additional work the prom and market bought for them the last few weeks and focus on what they've not done instead of the positives. It's important to keep a negative attitude at this time....

Yes let's ignore all the additional work the prom and market bought for them the last few weeks and focus on what they've not done instead of the positives. It's important to keep a negative attitude at this time....

They put up a few bollards and barriers along the road. Not exactly rocket science or creative thinking. As for the market the traders came up with all the Workable proposals

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

This is 'Whereisgalway' we're talking about. Seeing the negative and pointing them out is literally all they know on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bring the niceness and civility back up please.

flazio wrote: »
    This is 'Whereisgalway' we're talking about. Seeing the negative and pointing them out is literally all they know on boards.

Very personal attack, very disappointed the mods have left it up

Surely the subject of how the city rejuvenates it’s delft deserves it own thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They put up a few bollards and barriers along the road. Not exactly rocket science or creative thinking. As for the market the traders came up with all the Workable proposals

It was clearly stated all along that it was up to the market traders to manage their customers: The council needs to be focussing on ratepayers.

Outdoor tables are a fixture in most of Quay St already. There are a few more places which could apply for licenses to have them, and use the councils existing mechanism to put tables outside - the initiative is with the restaurant.

It was clearly stated all along that it was up to the market traders to manage their customers: The council needs to be focussing on ratepayers.

Outdoor tables are a fixture in most of Quay St already. There are a few more places which could apply for licenses to have them, and use the councils existing mechanism to put tables outside - the initiative is with the restaurant.

Leadership the action of leading a group of people or an organization.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

flazio wrote: »

I cannot recommend the “Ignore” function highly enough. My Boards experience has improved immeasurably since I set it up recently ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,298 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Plenty of space on the road for seating, just remove the on-street parking

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I am at a loss to understand the City Council closing off areas because of social distancing in the City, I think we are doing pretty well here in Galway, there was no one giving out about the thousands of people marching in a protest parade in Dublin all bunched close together, how was this ever allowed to go ahead given how many were diagnosed positive with the virus in Dublin. I did not hear any noise from Leo or Dublin City Council about it.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I am at a loss to understand the City Council closing off areas because of social distancing in the City, I think we are doing pretty well here in Galway, there was no one giving out about the thousands of people marching in a protest parade in Dublin all bunched close together, how was this ever allowed to go ahead given how many were diagnosed positive with the virus in Dublin. I did not hear any noise from Leo or Dublin City Council about it.

We are doing well so now is the time to keep it up not throw away all the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Storm 10 wrote: »

There's a march on Saturday at 2pm in Galway. Sorry don't have the details right now, I believe it is the square. I saw someone post about it and encourage people to social distance and wear masks.

inisboffin wrote: »
    There's a march on Saturday at 2pm in Galway. Sorry don't have the details right now, I believe it is the square. I saw someone post about it and encourage people to social distance and wear masks.

The march should be nipped in the bud immediately, severe fines need to be threatened for anyone who even thinks about attending. I can't believe the down right stupidity and ignorance of anyone who organises, promotes or attends a march during a virus outbreak.

The march should be nipped in the bud immediately, severe fines need to be threatened for anyone who even thinks about attending. I can't believe the down right stupidity and ignorance of anyone who organises, promotes or attends a march during a virus outbreak.

How about we not fine people for thoughts :pac:

A march would need to be approved by the council anyway so they can nip it in the bud if they wish and they should since mass gathering are not permitted yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Wompa1 wrote: »
    How about we not fine people for thoughts :pac:

A march would need to be approved by the council anyway so they can nip it in the bud if they wish and they should since mass gathering are not permitted yet.

Yoy reckon the Dublin march was council approved?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Really hope that the planned march is stopped.

You don't honour an innocent person being killed by potentially letting other innocent lives be lost. Tony Hollihan did say a mass gathering does still constitute a risk to life of vulnerable people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

severe fines need to be threatened for anyone who even thinks about attending

:D

Give the Gardai a break man... now they're expected to catch and severely fine those who think about breaking the law. I think I saw this movie too. Tom Cruise was in it.

Advertisement