Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem in activating Windows 10

• 14-03-2019 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,

I have installed a new copy of Windows 10 and it is showing "Activate Windows" watermark on my desktop.

I wanted to know how can I activate my windows?

I have a digital license which is attached to my Microsoft account. Whenever I install a new copy, it automatically activates the windows.

But this time I am not able to activate it.

Actually my graphics card was damage due to overheating so I have to use a different machine. But since then, I see the Activate Windows water mark.

Please help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

your licence might be tied to the original machine

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it's an OEM you can't transfer to a new motherboard.

The activation should give you a phone number to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mirhamxa

I had paid extra amount for that license. Almost 80 to 90 USD. Do I need to buy the license again?

Is there any way I can contact the microsoft to ask directly if I can transfer my license to a new machine. As it will be used only at one machine, so there should't be any problem I guess. Machine can be damaged anytime so why pay extra amount for license if the machine got damaged?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mirhamxa wrote: »
    Is there any way I can contact the microsoft to ask directly if I can transfer my license to a new machine. As it will be used only at one machine, so there should't be any problem I guess. Machine can be damaged anytime so why pay extra amount for license if the machine got damaged?
    Because them's the rules.

If it's preinstalled or an upgrade of a preinstalled licence it lives or dies with the motherboard it was licenced for.

There are plenty of free OS's out there if you can't afford windows.

and again the activation process should show you the local number for Microsoft.

• Advertisement

Because them's the rules.

If it's preinstalled or an upgrade of a preinstalled licence it lives or dies with the motherboard it was licenced for.

There are plenty of free OS's out there if you can't afford windows.

and again the activation process should show you the local number for Microsoft.

Okay... Thank you :)

Advertisement