Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fergoc

Does anyone know if I can use my existing Fritzbox router to configure the VOIP function to work with eir's VOIP service or do they force you to use the F2000 for this function? I plan to continue to use the Fritzbox as my router after FTTH installation and was hoping that I don't need to keep a 2nd router powered on purely for phone.

I am using a Fritzbox 7390.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

fergoc wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I can use my existing Fritzbox router to configure the VOIP function to work with eir's VOIP service or do they force you to use the F2000 for this function? I plan to continue to use the Fritzbox as my router after FTTH installation and was hoping that I don't need to keep a 2nd router powered on purely for phone.

I am using a Fritzbox 7390.

I'm not sure if anyone in the thread has approached eir looking for the SIP password but I know someone in the SIRO thread asked Vodafone and they refused to give it out. If I were to guess I would say eir will refuse also but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I asked about the SIP credentials on the Talk to eir forum but was told to call customer services. Since I am not yet officially a customer, I will wait until my service is enabled before calling and let you know if they give out these details or not.

fergoc wrote: »
    I asked about the SIP credentials on the Talk to eir forum but was told to call customer services. Since I am not yet officially a customer, I will wait until my service is enabled before calling and let you know if they give out these details or not.

All you will need to ask for is the SIP password. The rest of the details can be obtained from the eir router.

Thanks navi. I will ask for that once I get my install completed. Unfortunately my install failed today due to needing a hoist to run the cable through some trees on a very busy road...so a few more days to wait to get off my 3Mb connection!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭opengoal

Hi guys.. Ftth is being rolled out in my area. I am very keen to get this installed as soon as it's available (map says first half 2018 and there has been some new poles installed and cabling attached) . What should I do in order to get this as soon as its available? For example, do I need an active phone line connected first? I had a phone line connected at one stage but not active now, should I get the line activated now or is there anything else I should be doing in preparation ? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

opengoal wrote: »
    Hi guys.. Ftth is being rolled out in my area. I am very keen to get this installed as soon as it's available (map says first half 2018 and there has been some new poles installed and cabling attached) . What should I do in order to get this as soon as its available? For example, do I need an active phone line connected first? I had a phone line connected at one stage but not active now, should I get the line activated now or is there anything else I should be doing in preparation ? Thanks.

FTTH has nothing to do with phone lines. It's an entire different (fiber) cable and line being brought to the premise.

All you need is your eircode. And patience. That's it.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

Any point in getting faster then their 150mbps if you are just using wifi and will never be wired to the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

KellyXX wrote: »
    Any point in getting faster then their 150mbps if you are just using wifi and will never be wired to the router?

No.

Rule of thumb: if you have to ask you don't need it. Very few households see much benefit north of 100Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

ED E wrote: »
    No.

Rule of thumb: if you have to ask you don't need it. Very few households see much benefit north of 100Mb.

Unless you're numerous like the Brady Bunch or the Partridge family

• Advertisement

long_b wrote: »
    Unless you're numerous like the Brady Bunch or the Partridge family

Or getting it free from your landlord who asked you what he should order :)

Whats the wireless speed on the router they gove you?
    Any specs on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭banjopeter

banjopeter wrote: »

Hahaha ... Ophelia now being taken as excuse and force majeure being invoked. Nevermind, that they were behind even before that.

Also .. there's a useful figure for once: only 120k of the covered homes for the contract are done. That means, they still have to do 180k.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Marlow wrote: »
    Also .. there's a useful figure for once: only 120k of the covered homes for the contract are done. That means, they still have to do 180k.

Can't say anyone is surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Jesus I hope im connected this summer, they did poles recently so hopefully im not too far down the list. 5mpbs hurts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    Just ordered FTTH this morning ... long time waiting but finally it seems to be here ... Ordered the 300mb product ... Its going to make a huge difference compared to my current 5mb 30Gb monthly download limit FWA ...

Unfortunately the FWA is no longer fit for purpose and hasn't been for a while ... (received a couple of letters recently from provider advising me of going over my download limit numerous times -- 45Gb, 55Gb and 70Gb over the last 3 months)

Just an update with my order

Been in contact with Eir a couple of times (or i should say they have contacted me) - my area is on pre-order with the actual go live date of 7th March .. my order is all good and they will email me with an installation date on the 7th ... Nearly there now ..

Was talking to my cousin and she had them out last week to connect fibre. They came out and saw the lines going through a few light branches in trees and told her they couldnt install, even though there are already two phone cables going through those same trees without problem. They insist that she pays the farmer who owns the field to cut them back about 1M. He wont do that, so she will have to pay and she doesnt have the money.
    She spoke to 3 other people in the area who all had the same failure story.
    She thinks eir are just doing a round of look, cant do it, tick it off as supplied and not really interested in the installs. Just a quick look and get out of there.
    I know the trees she is talking about. They are very thin and the distance between the poles is about 20 meters and its straight along the side of the road.
    Why cant they just get a cherry picker and do the damned install. I could even manage to push the cables through it myself and im not an engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭turbbo

ED E wrote: »
    Can't say anyone is surprised.

Not necessarily a good thing to be "NOT surprised" was the idea of a commitment not just that - a commitment. As usual an Eir commitment means nothing. And they weren't worried about the penalty from the get go because it was a slap on the wrist. Government are as ineffective as ever trusting these clowns. Richard Moat off in the Bahamas now I suppose? NBP/300k commitment a long distant memory for him. True scum.

turbbo wrote: »
    Not necessarily a good thing to be "NOT surprised" was the idea of a commitment not just that - a commitment. As usual an Eir commitment means nothing. And they weren't worried about the penalty from the get go because it was a slap on the wrist. Government are as ineffective as ever trusting these clowns. Richard Moat off in the Bahamas now I suppose? NBP/300k commitment a long distant memory for him. True scum.

I think they can go to the 30 June 2019 without penalty.
    Without limiting clause 8.1, if a Delay with respect to eir's obligation to Pass the specific Premises that eir has identified by Eircode and committed to Pass in a Quarter pursuant to the eir Project Plan is likely to continue for a period of six months after the applicable Milestone Date, eir shall, no later than the date that is five months after the applicable Milestone Date, submit a detailed remedial plan (including timeframes) to the Minister setting out the measures to be taken by eir to Pass, by a specified date (or dates) agreed on a case-by-case basis in the Backstop Plan (each a "Backstop Date"), all of the specific Premises eir has identified by Eircode and committed to Pass in a particular Quarter that are the subject of the Delay (each a "Backstop Plan"). A Backstop Date shall in no event be later than 30 June 2019. The proposed Backstop Plan and Backstop Dates, and any amendments to them required by the Minister, shall be agreed in writing by the Parties (and shall not apply until so agreed). The agreement of a Backstop Plan shall not be treated as a change to the eir Project Plan for the purposes of clauses 6.3 and 9.

I think they can go to the 30 June 2019 without penalty.

It's this backstop date, they're trying to invoke by playing the "Force majeure" card. And maybe even getting it pushed a wee bit further down.

You can be sure of it.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,219 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Hahaha ... Ophelia now being taken as excuse and force majeure being invoked. Nevermind, that they were behind even before that.

/M

And the government expects 540k in the NBP to be done by the end of 2020

fritzelly wrote: »

Not a chance in hell, if its' OpenEIR that has to lay the groundwork (replacing poles, repairing and unblocking ducting).

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,219 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Not a chance in hell, if its' OpenEIR that has to lay the groundwork (replacing poles, repairing and unblocking ducting).

/M

Was reading somewhere today that it's 500 houses a day based on the old timeline (?). For the NBP that would be 1000 nearly - how can he expect a small company to have the manpower to do that to deliver the NBP.
    That's a lot of connections plus add in all the failed ones

Was reading somewhere today that it's 500 houses a day based on the old timeline (?). For the NBP that would be 1000 nearly - how can he expect a small company to have the manpower to do that to deliver the NBP.
    That's a lot of connections plus add in all the failed ones

They don't have to. e-Net also are a customer of KN. That's who they get, when they connect customers to the goverment MANs. I can't go wrong, you know :D

/M

Sure they are not even connecting half the people who apply for it.
    They just walk up to the house, see it will take more than 5 minutes because there is a piece of grass in the way and tick it as a fail. Job done, Next.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

My contract with vodafone is up in April, should be getting FTTH some time this year, is it a good idea to move to eir in April and then order FTTH when its available?

It will save me a good bit of money to switch in April if the prices stay the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

My contract with vodafone is up in April, should be getting FTTH some time this year, is it a good idea to move to eir in April and then order FTTH when its available?

It will save me a good bit of money to switch in April if the prices stay the same.

April is a good time to renegotiate with Vodafone. My brother did recently and he got his bill down to €20 for 6 months. Head over to VF forum and keep saying “You’re breaking my balls Vodafone Darren, you’re are breaking my balls” to every offer they give. They have leeway to reduce it to €20 for 6 months.

April is a good time to renegotiate with Vodafone. My brother did recently and he got his bill down to €20 for 6 months. Head over to VF forum and keep saying “You’re breaking my balls Vodafone Darren, you’re are breaking my balls” to every offer they give. They have leeway to reduce it to €20 for 6 months.

Just make sure, they won't stick you into another contract. Because Vodafone don't do FTTH on OpenEIRs network.

The 6 months reduced price usually results in an 18 months contract extension.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Just make sure, they won't stick you into another contract. Because Vodafone don't do FTTH on OpenEIRs network.

The 6 months reduced price usually results in an 18 months contract extension.

/M

I can confirm my brothers contract was extended by 12 months. He made sure to get that confirmation by email. Just shows you if you stick to your guns you’ll get a deal.

• Advertisement

I can confirm my brothers contract was extended by 12 months. He made sure to get that confirmation by email. Just shows you if you stick to your guns you’ll get a deal.

But that won't help shigllgetcha so .. because if FTTH is rolled out later this year, and he/she is stuck in another 12 month contract, then that negates getting FTTH. Saving out the window.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement