Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

As per the title, we need to hire a car for a weekend soon.

All the online car rental t's & c's same to say the same, that a credit card is required in order to make a booking.

I used Avis in Italy recently with just a debit card and it was accepted but their terms clearly state :

[font=Arial, sans-serif]Though you can use many different credit card to make your booking, you must have one of the following cards (American Express, MasterCard, Visa and Diners Card), in the name of the driver, with you when you collect your car. Avis Ireland do not accept debit cards.[/font]

Just wondering if anyone has managed to hire a car from Shannon (or dublin) with just a debit card only?

And if so which company did you use?

Dooley Car Rentals
    1.3 Payment / Credit Card
    A major credit card is required when you collect your car. We accept MasterCard, Visa, American Express and Diners Club. We also accept most debit cards as a form of payment. However, if you are using a debit card you are obliged to purchase the excess insurance and a reduced damage excess of EURO 500 will apply, which will also be taken as a charge on the debit card. Switch cards, Discover Cards or cash are not acceptable forms of payment. The credit card/debit card used to pay for the vehicle at time of rental must be in the name of the principal driver. At the time of the rental there must be sufficient funds on the card to cover all charges including any insurance excess/deductible amount. You will be charged to your credit card/debit card when you make your booking. If there are insufficient funds in your credit card to cover the rental cost and any excess, we will be unable to process the booking or provide a vehicle.
    You will be charged to your credit card/debit card when you make your booking. If there are insufficient funds in your credit card to cover the rental cost and any excess, we will be unable to process the booking or provide a vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I was talking to an American guy recently and he said when he rents a car here he simply swaps over his American car insurance which covers the car rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

I was talking to an American guy recently and he said when he rents a car here he simply swaps over his American car insurance which covers the car rental.

I pay €320 per year for my car insurance and it covers me to drive any car in the B category. But it's only 3rd party cover. But I think there are some insurances where when you have fully comp, it also covers you to drive other people's cars on fully comp.

I wonder if this would work for rental cars also.

Or perhaps there's a stipulation that the car you're driving already has to be covered by a third party?

The wording on the policy is as follows:

Driving of Other Cars
    (Policy Holder Only)
    (Third Party cover only)

But I could not find any elaboration.

jma wrote: »
    I pay €320 per year for my car insurance and it covers me to drive any car in the B category. But it's only 3rd party cover. But I think there are some insurances where when you have fully comp, it also covers you to drive other people's cars on fully comp.

I wonder if this would work for rental cars also.

Or perhaps there's a stipulation that the car you're driving already has to be covered by a third party?

The wording on the policy is as follows:

Driving of Other Cars
    (Policy Holder Only)
    (Third Party cover only)

But I could not find any elaboration.

Can you decline insurance when renting a car anway? Pretty sure you cannot and the only insurance you can decline is the excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭jma

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Can you decline insurance when renting a car anway? Pretty sure you cannot and the only insurance you can decline is the excess.

You can decline cover, not just excess. Especially when renting from an American company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Juran

Last year I hired with Hertz, they were a 2 min walk from the terminal .... i believe all the car hire companies at Barcelona airport are outside the old terminal ...Note, there are 2 terminal, the new terminal will require a bus ride to the car hire place which is right outside the old terminal ... I don't know their names, A or B, 1 or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Be awsre of an issue around that airport with rental cars ....

The below happened to us.

When leaving the carpark a people carrier stopped in front of us to (as it later transpired) "check that their boot was closed".

Within 200m of this i had to pull in due to a rear passenger side flat.

The guarda civil arrived almost instantainiously as i had stopped between 2 junctions and an offramp.

When the airport sent a service guy to see if he could pump the tire it seemed the tire was slashed. He service guy explains its quite common. A guy on a moped will slash the tire while you are distracted. When you pull in they approach you and at knife point demand phones, cash and jewlery.

We were just lucky that the guarda civil spotted us pull in in a dangerous spot and came straight over.

Something to be aware off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Oh, and make sure to go to the desk inside the terminal building to get the contract signed before going out to the hut to collect the keys as the hut people will only send you inside anyway for the signed contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

DO NOT HIRE FROM GOLDCAR. That is all :D

We booked them through the aer lingus site recently. We took out our own car hire excess insurance but they heavily sold their own insurance when we arrived to the office (we resisted). When we refused to take it out, they blocked 1200 euro from our credit card until car was returned. We also were told to return the car empty of fuel (no indication of that when booking) and were charged 85 euro for the tank (worth 50 at most). The guys ahead of me when returning were stung for 500 euro for small damage to their car. Absolute cowboys. Stick to the main companies and be careful if booking through aerlingus/ryanair sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thanks folks. I got a quote from Do You Spain. Did any of you ever come across these?

I wouldn't recommend them.

I'd say go with Hertz they have no hidden charges and operate a full to full fuel policy.

Keep well away from companies that don't as they make you pay for a full tank and tell you to bring it back empty.
    We got a blue motion golf from hertz and after 600km it was still half full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ted1 wrote: »
    I'd say go with Hertz they have no hidden charges and operate a full to full fuel policy.

Couldn't agree more with this advice. While the smaller companies may seem cheaper when you look at their quotes, by the time they slap on the additional charges either at the beginning (extra insurance/CDW) or end (fuel charges/ fraudulent damage claim) of your holiday, it will be a false saving and it will sour your memory of the holiday.

Taking into account the total cost of the holiday, my attitude is that a few euros extra spent on the hire car to guarantee you're not dealing with cowboys is money well spent.

My last few experiences with Hertz and Europcar in France and Spain were completely stress-free. In each case when I was at the car rental desk, I was politely asked if I wanted the (insurance) extras and I politely declined. That was the end of it and after they scanned my driver's licence and passport, I was handed the keys to a car that was in all cases less than 50m walk from the desk. I filled up the tank within a few kms of the airport on the way back and never heard a word from the rental company afterwards - what I paid online at the time I made the booking was the total I paid, not a cent more.

If you deserve the holiday, you deserve not to deal with the cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭jimbobtravis

I know there has been a lot of threads regarding debit cards and car rentals, however, my query is a little different.

I am going to Canada on holidays soon and have reserved a car with Enterprise. It allows you to use a Debit Card and I am going to pay Damage Waiver for the 3 days of the rental.

With regards to the deposit, the following is written in the renter requirements;

"Debit cards and cash are accepted at the time of rental with a current copy of any one of the following (dated within the last 30 days and with no past due balances): telephone bill, power bill, water bill, cable bill in the renter's name, with his or her current address. The renter's name and address must match their driver's license, and their driver's license must have been issued from the local area of the renting branch. DEPOSIT AMOUNT – A deposit including an additional $200 more than the cost of the rental will be taken at the time of rental, and the funds will not be available for use until after the vehicle has been returned. Refunds on cash and debit deposits will be issued by cheque. Prepaid cards and money orders are not acceptable methods of deposit. This location is not responsible for any overdraft fees incurred"

Note the highlighted section. Could someone please explain this or if anyone has rented under the same circumstances could they verify.

Does the highlighted section mean, a deposit (which is unknown) the rental price and then a further $200 is taken, then the deposit and the 200 will be refunded by cheque. Sure the refund amoun could be in excess of $500, and how would i cash the cheque when on holidays. That would leave my spending money crippled.

If i am paying damage waiver, I don't know why I need to pay a deposit, but what can I do? Its their policy!

Thanks for reading and I hope someone was in the same position before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

fits wrote: »
    DO NOT HIRE FROM GOLDCAR. That is all :D

We booked them through the aer lingus site recently. We took out our own car hire excess insurance but they heavily sold their own insurance when we arrived to the office (we resisted). When we refused to take it out, they blocked 1200 euro from our credit card until car was returned. We also were told to return the car empty of fuel (no indication of that when booking) and were charged 85 euro for the tank (worth 50 at most). The guys ahead of me when returning were stung for 500 euro for small damage to their car. Absolute cowboys. Stick to the main companies and be careful if booking through aerlingus/ryanair sites.

I'm pretty sure these policies are clearly outlined in the T&C's of the rental before you purchase so if you choose to book with them then you shouldn't really call them cowboys for applying the policies that you agreed to when booking....I don't work for them or anything but I'm booking a car at the moment and they all have the same deposit policy and some have the same fuel policy...maybe it was the aerlingus site that hid the policies from you...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

neacy69 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure these policies are clearly outlined in the T&C's of the rental before you purchase so if you choose to book with them then you shouldn't really call them cowboys for applying the policies that you agreed to when booking....I don't work for them or anything but I'm booking a car at the moment and they all have the same deposit policy and some have the same fuel policy...maybe it was the aerlingus site that hid the policies from you...

They are cowboys! As the above states, they had taken out excess insurance, but gold car give you the very hard sale to buy more insurance and if you dont, stop money on your CC. Other companies dont do this. When I say hard sell, I mean the hardest sell I've ever experienced anywhere in the world. Almost every transaction I witnessed eventually caved and bought the extra insurance.

Exact same happened me a few years ago with Gold Car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Gold Car have a very poor reputation especially in the Canary islands, huge threads about them on tripadvisor

They are cowboys! As the above states, they had taken out excess insurance, but gold car give you the very hard sale to buy more insurance and if you dont, stop money on your CC. Other companies dont do this. When I say hard sell, I mean the hardest sell I've ever experienced anywhere in the world. Almost every transaction I witnessed eventually caved and bought the extra insurance.

Exact same happened me a few years ago with Gold Car.

Every rental company does this...if you dont take the super cover they hold a deposit on your credit car...anywhere from €600-1500...

I have rented with Gold car and I do not like their policies as such i choose not to rent with them...but these policies are listed on the car rental sites...do your homework before renting....

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Ummm other companies do this, Firefly are one I have personal experience of (1200 blocked on my card for hiring a punto). They also gave us the hard sell for insurance. As mentioned above their t&c's are clearly written on the contract but sure who reads the 10 pages of those eh! There is no such thing as cheap car hire.

Anyone believing they can get a car for €5 a day is in cuckoo land. These car hire companies are a business, they have to make money somehow. They advertise cheap rates to lure you in then hide all the extra charges in the t&c's which they know hardly anyone reads.

I have been renting cars in Ireland, Europe and USA for 20+ years and I find the cheapest method is to

1. Prepay for your car with a broker type service. My personal favourite is Nova Car Hire but there are others
    2. Take out your own excess insurance with a 3rd party company (google - there are lots out there). If you rent more than 1 or 2 cars a year it is usually best to get an annual policy.
    3. Make sure your cc can handle the hold they put on it when you deny the excess insurance.
    4. Always chose the option where you return with a full tank. Just make sure give yourself time to find a petrol station when departing.
    5. I always bring my own Garmin SatNav.
    6. Lastly take care of your rental car! Just because it is not your does not mean that you can abuse it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I'm currently searching for a decent rate on an 11 day rental in France in early September.

I've tried all the usual avenues such as Autoeurope, Arguscarhire, Nova & booking directly with Avis, Hertz, Budget & Sixt. All the prices are very samey from the brokers, with nothing jumping out as offering a decent discount, so I thought I'd try booking with freq flyer miles - Avis want 80k Air France / KLM miles & tbh that represents a really poor use of mileage.

The most attractive offer I've seen thus far may be of interest to folks hereabouts, as you can avail of it with very little effort required. If you sign up for AF/KLM's Flying Blue freq flyer program, you'll be able to avail of preferential rates (which definitely undercut the brokers in my case) and you'll bag an additional driver for free through Avis, even at the base level, which is Ivory. The AWD (Avis Worldwide Discount) for Ivory members is F982700. For anyone who's already a FB member there's a really generous mileage offer available too - https://flyingblue.com/earn-miles/cars/2451/the-benefit-of-planning-ahead-with-avis.html. Make a reservation via www.avis-flyingblue.com (with Flying Blue membership level selected). The correct AWD will be automatically embedded in the rental.

A Flying Blue Ivory membership will also deliver a marked saving at Hertz on pre-paid rentals in particular, using code CDP 629733 for EMEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

well, dealing with niche bargains on cars that arent open to the general public, if you are an ADAC member as many in Ireland are (german version of AA - as its a value way of getting breakdown cover on older cars and camper vans) their deals more or less match the price that you get direct from the rental company themselves BUT include an extra driver and full insurance with zero excess as part of the price. If renting for 10 days for example, thats a saving of €300+

when you are travelling as a couple/ family, its very practical to have an extra driver and a nice safety net to not care about any damage in the slightest. Indeed theres external excess cover you can buy, but theres work involved in claiming that back and a chance the insurance company will play silly bugger and just not pay, but having the proper super-cover is great

(NOTE: I've rented over a dozen times without the super cover insurance and without excess insurance, so I am more than prepared to go for a super cheap deal and risk taking a hit on the excess if it makes sense at the time for that circumstance , and I am confident that the car wont get a bash)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Munsterbhoy

Hi just wondering how you got on with the car hire in Rodez? Im planning next years hols and looking at flight options into Southern France having usually gotten the ferry, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

I'm sure the op has been sorted at this stage but the car hire companies are all open at the time the Dublin Ryanair flight arrives. The hire company websites are wrong with their opening hours for summer.

From memory hertz, avis, europcar, sixt had desks in the terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Just to update my booking. I went with doyouspain and got full to empty for 218 for three weeks. As my return flight was at 7am on the 16 Aug I stuck down 8am as the car return time. Long story short PulsarCar don't open till 7am so in order to return the car overnight I would have had to take out full insurance for an extra 196 euro. I just dropped the car back now and am getting a 10euro bus back to my accommodation for the last four nights. My own fault as I wouldn't have got the quote with the correct details. Still a decent company to deal with. 89 for the full tank with I had to put a fiver into on the way back to alicabte as it was on fumes . Three weeks of a hold on the credit card he reckons but did explain that at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭soulglo79

Hi,

I'm spending a few days travelling from Zadar to Split, spending a few days on Hvar Island then returning to Zadar to fly home. I need a rental car but not while I'm on Hvar island. Is there a clever way of getting around the one way rental charges if i was to leave the rental car back in Split then pick up again for the return journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭donalh087

I have just booked a car for 10 days in Italy with one of the low cost companies (Locauto). I just noticed they want to put a stop on my credit card of €2,200 + VAT. Has this become standard or should I cancel?

donalh087 wrote: »
    I have just booked a car for 10 days in Italy with one of the low cost companies (Locauto). I just noticed they want to put a stop on my credit card of €2,200 + VAT. Has this become standard or should I cancel?

You must have declined excess insurance so if you damage the car they will automatically make you pay up to €2200 for repairs. If you get excess insurance from them they will not do this.

You have three choices

1. decline excess and pay for any damages from your own credit card
    2. get excess insurance with the rental car company (€€€)
    3. get 3rd party excess insurance (google for this). They will still put a hold on your cc but the 3rd party will refund you the excess if you need to make a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭donalh087

BailMeOut wrote: »
    You must have declined excess insurance so if you damage the car they will automatically make you pay up to €2200 for repairs.

No actually I paid the CDW insurance. What appears to have happened is that I paid the rental and insurance to autoeurope who are a 'broker' for Locauto. So because I did not buy the insurance with Locauto they are still putting a hold on my card. The solution, I am informed, is to cancel the insurance with Autoeurope and then purchase it at the desk from Locauto.

Travel has become such a sneaky business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

donal, you are taking a car which has an excess on the insurance (from the point of view of the rental company) and in your case it seems to be a €2200 (or 2k plux €200 for fuel and tolls or something)

Autoeurope clearly state that their insurance / excess cover is organised separate from the rental company so I'd not call it sneaky.

donalh087 wrote: »
    No actually I paid the CDW insurance. What appears to have happened is that I paid the rental and insurance to autoeurope who are a 'broker' for Locauto. So because I did not buy the insurance with Locauto they are still putting a hold on my card. The solution, I am informed, is to cancel the insurance with Autoeurope and then purchase it at the desk from Locauto.

Travel has become such a sneaky business.

You've purchased third party excess insurance from Auto europe. If you damage the car then locauto will charge you up to 2200 for the damages which you then claim back from Auto europe...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I used drive4fun.info in faro this summer. Half the price of everyone else and no problems at all. The best service I've had in 20 years of driving.
    I did 2000km

Advertisement