Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

list of exchanges with less than 24Mbs available

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

tinner777 wrote: »
    ballymakerra, 1.8mb, 3 km from exchange

I was in a similar situation until I rang Eircom to discover that my 3meg package was capped at 2 meg so I asked them to lift the cap and my download went from a sh***y 1.7 megs to 2.6megs it's worth giving them a ring!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭batistuta9

seaniefr wrote: »
    from dslreports.com
    13.81 is the amount of attenuation generated per kilometre for twin twisted copper wire. Its usually not too far out.
    That graph would be fairly spot on i think. It would also depend on the cable route to your house from the exchange.

if you're getting 57 would that not mean you're about 4km from the exchange going by the graph?
    yet you only divided by 13.81 or am i getting something wrong there

batistuta9 wrote: »
    if you're getting 57 would that not mean you're about 4km from the exchange going by the graph?
    yet you only divided by 13.81 or am i getting something wrong there
    Its all on dslreports.com Look it up!
    13.81 is an average given the diameter of copper phone wire used from the sub to a house.
    Yes i am 4Km from the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Middle of nowhere, 1mb!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Based on the above and my previously quoted line stats , I should be able to get ~9MB but due to the shocking back-haul from Eircom I can get a maximum of 3Mb (on a good day)!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭bealtine

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Based on the above and my previously quoted line stats , I should be able to get ~9MB but due to the shocking back-haul from Eircom I can get a maximum of 3Mb (on a good day)!!

and which exchange is that please?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

bealtine wrote: »
    and which exchange is that please?

Quin Exchange - Clare.

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 3072 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 39.5 dB 23.5 dB
    Noise Margin 17.8 dB 18.18 dB

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭trekkypj

There's still some exchanges that were on that infamous list of 300 or so exchanges to be upgraded by Eircom to DSL which got forgotten about or abandoned.

Coon, Co. Kilkenny is (or was) our local exchange. It has not been upgraded despite eircom promises and the fact it was on the list. If not for the 3 mobile phone mast erected under the (sic) Rural Broadband Scheme we would still be on dialup.

No way they will bother now with the efibre project ongoing.

So dial-up speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I've got the luck of being 2.4km away from the ONLY exchange in all of co. Dublin to not be DSL enabled:

Oldtown, Co. Dublin...

:pac:

If it were 24mb enabled, I'd be able to get round the 14mb mark, according to that graph above :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Annagry Co Donegal 8Mb max.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

dont know the exchange but 3 miles out the nobber road from kingscourt co.cavan

rang eircom and was told my line can handle 20meg but the exchange hasnt been upgraded so i get 7meg
    i asked "realisticly" what will i get and she said hopefully the 7meg since the line can take 20meg
    but they wanted to put me on an old package at €60 a month for 7meg

went to vodafone and they said itd likely be the same (i knew that anyway from the line) but its €32 a month and unlimited

should have it in a week or 2 so ill update with the speeds

iv no other option and am currently useing mobile broadband

id be happy with in or around 3 meg and a half decent ping

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

lankz92 wrote: »
    dont know the exchange but 3 miles out the nobber road from kingscourt co.cavan

rang eircom and was told my line can handle 20meg but the exchange hasnt been upgraded so i get 7meg
    i asked "realisticly" what will i get and she said hopefully the 7meg since the line can take 20meg
    but they wanted to put me on an old package at €60 a month for 7meg

went to vodafone and they said itd likely be the same (i knew that anyway from the line) but its €32 a month and unlimited

should have it in a week or 2 so ill update with the speeds

iv no other option and am currently useing mobile broadband

id be happy with in or around 3 meg and a half decent ping

You'll be fine off peak but chances are performance will suck at peak times. The problem with these old exchanges is that the backhaul isnt there, so they congest to hell. If the sales team can see its a 20Mb line that means there's ADSL2+ kit in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Ballyvarry, Co. Mayo

Its an 8Mb exchange

Im however 4.6Km as the crow flies and syncing at 4Mb! :eek: borderline SNR of 6.2 anything below 5.8 I can get drops.

But it doesnt :D

Ballyvarry, Co. Mayo

Its an 8Mb exchange

Im however 4.6Km as the crow flies and syncing at 4Mb! :eek: borderline SNR of 6.2 anything below 5.8 I can get drops.

But it doesnt :D
    Lucky you! your phone lines are not antiques & propping up tree branches like around my area then:P

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭maclek

278001.PNG

278003.jpg

The Quin exchange is pretty close. :) Stupid rubbish microwave backhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

1dB/3dB line attenuation !!! I don't think I've ever seen anything quite that low ... do you live inside the exchange itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Ive heard staff are going on strike on friday so if you have any issues call before then

Looking for a pay rise i hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's quite likely the exchange is just a cabinet itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Broadband through the phoneline is hitting a max speed of 3mb/s in:

Fairgreen, Portlaoise

• Advertisement

After having an Eircom engineer come to my house to resolve a line fault I found out some information about my exchange.

The exchange (Quin in Clare) currently has the an altogether fantastic 8Mb of backhaul available!! - Giving me a max of 2Mb during the day , dropping to 0.2Mb/0.3Mb in the evenings.

However , the piece of positive news is that Eircom are currently upgrading the backhaul to Fibre , running a new connection to the Dromoland exchange which is about 5km away.

I don't think that they have any plans to upgrade the actual exchange itself , but the improved backhaul should mean that I will be able to get a faster speed more consistently once this work is complete...

Here's hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Corrandulla Exchange, Co. Galway

ADSL1 - 3MB max on my line.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Portlawslim

Portlaw
    Co.Waterford
    446.46 metres from the exchange
    LLU Exchange :n
    Not in the VDSL program

Downstream Rate: 7168 Kbps
    Upstream Rate: 384 Kbps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Parts of Lucan, Co Dublin. Not sure what specific exchange I'm on but max is 16.6 as tested by Sky. UPC is nonexistent here also, although the neighbours seem to have it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

After having an Eircom engineer come to my house to resolve a line fault I found out some information about my exchange.

The exchange (Quin in Clare) currently has the an altogether fantastic 8Mb of backhaul available!! - Giving me a max of 2Mb during the day , dropping to 0.2Mb/0.3Mb in the evenings.

However , the piece of positive news is that Eircom are currently upgrading the backhaul to Fibre , running a new connection to the Dromoland exchange which is about 5km away.

I don't think that they have any plans to upgrade the actual exchange itself , but the improved backhaul should mean that I will be able to get a faster speed more consistently once this work is complete...

Here's hoping

my parents and 2 sisters live out there. i always suspected as much. it's pretty much unusable between the 3 houses. though I was talking to some KN network guys a few months back who said they're upgrading Quin next, thought they could have just talking sh-ite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭thenashlegend

Bekan Station, Claremorris, Mayo. Getting 7MB, although I was informed today that the latest line test shows it's capable of 10MB. Of course they want 68 quid a month for it + phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Moyvore exchange, Westmeath.
    I'm on 7MB package - but only getting 5 max.

It's not even ADSL2 so it's congested in the evenings .

I work from home a lot and pay 65 per month for this with unlimited anytime calls - I'm kinda scared to move to another provider (as the price would be better) as I'm afraid the service would be even worse....

Really annoying thing is that the fibre backbone goes on into the exchange (It's on the network map which I can find the link for now) as we are between Mullingar and Athlone , but the equipment is all old in the exchange - I'd be happy with uncongested BB TBH !

• Registered Users Posts: 29 lawlerp

Castleblakeney 1.01Mb down .31 up
    Router info - Speed 7168/384 (kbps) Line Attenuation 36/21 dB
    Max line speed according to the eircom line-speed checker is 10Mb and eircom also say the exchange is not NGB enabled

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

KCL (STD: 090)

ADSL1, upto 8 mbps.

858jt.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Here's hoping

Where is the Dromoland exchange?

Looking at the fibre connected exchanges on an Eircom map I recall that both Newmarket and Sixmilbridge have fibre backhauls, but I don't recall any Dromoland exchange.

Got any further details?

Advertisement