Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*~ Cruising (travel by Waterways) megathread ~*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Hi guys,

Looking to book cruise now, is it best to book directly off the cruise website NCL.com or would you get a better deal from a travel agent or a different website?

Thanks
    We went on an NCL cruise in the med last year. We found it much cheaper to book through an american website. cruisesdirect its called. NCL themselves are very expensive ad we saved about 1000 euro....the drinks are not all included in package, but most are unless you're ised to drinking top shelf spirits. Drinks are generally 12 dollars each so you can work out if it would be beneficial to buy package.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

MIRMIR82 wrote: »
    We went on an NCL cruise in the med last year. We found it much cheaper to book through an american website. cruisesdirect its called. NCL themselves are very expensive ad we saved about 1000 euro....the drinks are not all included in package, but most are unless you're ised to drinking top shelf spirits. Drinks are generally 12 dollars each so you can work out if it would be beneficial to buy package.

That's great information thanks MIRMIR82.

Was there any issue buying off that site been based in Ireland?

Do they just post overy you tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Stay away from booze packages unless you and your partner intend to drink quite a lot every day. Premium brands are rarely included in theses packages.
    On almost every cruise line, drinks carry a 15% service charge in addition to cost.
    there are packages available as you board and sometimes on specific days on board.
    For booking, I have used cruise.co.uk on a few occasions.....found them quite good.

That's great information thanks MIRMIR82.

Was there any issue buying off that site been based in Ireland?

Do they just post overy you tickets?

You just print everything off yourself. Book with them and then register with NCL. Thats ehere you'll get everything you need. I was nervous booking initially but you can live chat to themwhich is great and makes it easier. I booked 4 couples and 1 single person and i saved over 4k between all of us in comparison to booking with NCL directly or through a travel agent. Any other questions...fire away. By the way we tend to get drinks package. Dont have a thing to pay for then when on board.

You just print everything off yourself. Book with them and then register with NCL. Thats ehere you'll get everything you need. I was nervous booking initially but you can live chat to themwhich is great and makes it easier. I booked 4 couples and 1 single person and i saved over 4k between all of us in comparison to booking with NCL directly or through a travel agent. Any other questions...fire away. By the way we tend to get drinks package. Dont have a thing to pay for then when on board.

Hi MIRMIR82,

Booked my cruise Thursday :) , well paid deposit anyway.

Didn't get a reservation number yet so can't do much on NCL yet.

Got charged for the gratuities for drinks and dining today.

Are there big queues every time you want to get a drink, how do you go about tipping, who and when?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Dotgos

Hi, regular cruiser here, although most cruise lines sell drinks packages separately, NCL is not one of them.
    They pride themselves on being fully inclusive, so include your drinks in the price. All cruise priced include your food, however there are always specialty restaurants which you can either get a package for or pay for at the time of dining.
    The 400 euro charge may be to increase your basic drinks package to include premium drinks, ?? Enjoy your holiday

Hi MIRMIR82,

Booked my cruise Thursday :) , well paid deposit anyway.

Didn't get a reservation number yet so can't do much on NCL yet.

Got charged for the gratuities for drinks and dining today.

Are there big queues every time you want to get a drink, how do you go about tipping, who and when?

Thanks again.

Ah delighted for you, you will love it! We've just booked a cruise last night ourselves - this will be our 3rd. No need to tip anymore once you have your gratuities paid- it's up to yourself. We did tip our stateroom attendant - i think we gave him 30 euro at the end of the week. No need to tip anymore.
    Rarely will there be queues at the bars - there are so many bars and so many staff it's really not an issue!
    If you want to do excursions, which we love to do, i recommend booking through cruisingexcursions. The price on NCL for excursions is extortionate!! I'd recommend booking an excursion for places you really want to see and get the best out of your day. Otherwise, you can get off the ship and mooch around the port area anyway. If you are going to Rome for example, the cruise port is an hour away from the city, so you would need a way to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

If you want to do excursions, which we love to do, i recommend booking through cruisingexcursions. The price on NCL for excursions is extortionate!! I'd recommend booking an excursion for places you really want to see and get the best out of your day. Otherwise, you can get off the ship and mooch around the port area anyway. If you are going to Rome for example, the cruise port is an hour away from the city, so you would need a way to get in.

https://www.tomsportguides.com/

k123456 wrote: »

That is a brilliant link - i had forgot about it!! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Densey12

Hey!

Cruised MSC Seaview last year. We were not going to cruise this year and go next year but the new MSC Bellissima ship has caught our eye. I have priced around and it’s coming up expensive with local agents in Ireland as we are restricted to June, July and August.

I stumbled across Cruise1st online today. I rang them and they have topped any place in Ireland with a great deal . Are they reputable ? Has anyone experience of them ? I’m a small bit cautious as there is no office in Ireland !!

Any advice appreciated !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Densey12 wrote: »
    Hey!

Cruised MSC Seaview last year. We were not going to cruise this year and go next year but the new MSC Bellissima ship has caught our eye. I have priced around and it’s coming up expensive with local agents in Ireland as we are restricted to June, July and August.

I stumbled across Cruise1st online today. I rang them and they have topped any place in Ireland with a great deal . Are they reputable ? Has anyone experience of them ? I’m a small bit cautious as there is no office in Ireland !!

Any advice appreciated !!

Haven't used them myself, but I've heard the name a lot from UK cruisers, they seem to be fairly OK. They're they crowd that are all over the "Cruise channel" on Sky, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Densey12

Thoie wrote: »
    Haven't used them myself, but I've heard the name a lot from UK cruisers, they seem to be fairly OK. They're they crowd that are all over the "Cruise channel" on Sky, yes?

I actually don’t know Thoie,

I stumbled across them on google !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Heading out on the MSC Seaside on 23rd March for our honeymoon, first cruise, i'll report back of how I found it or if anyone had questions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Exiled1 wrote: »
    Stay away from booze packages unless you and your partner intend to drink quite a lot every day. Premium brands are rarely included in theses packages.
    On almost every cruise line, drinks carry a 15% service charge in addition to cost.
    there are packages available as you board and sometimes on specific days on board.
    For booking, I have used cruise.co.uk on a few occasions.....found them quite good.

we were looking at one that works out about 200 for the week... surely a decent deal? less than the 800 i saw someone else mention!

eta: i see now someone has mentioned the easy vs premium packages... seems like premium is the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

fitzparker wrote: »
    Heading out on the MSC Seaside on 23rd March for our honeymoon, first cruise, i'll report back of how I found it or if anyone had questions.

Hi, when you return and get sorted I’d love to hear your experience on the Seaside ! Hope it’s been a good one !

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭SweetSand

Strumms wrote: »
    Hi, when you return and get sorted I’d love to hear your experience on the Seaside ! Hope it’s been a good one !

It’s funny how small the world is. We are just off that same MSC Seaside cruise (23/03-30/03) and met 2 Irish couples from Dublin on their honeymoons. We stayed in YC so did one couple (A&S) if you are fitzparker - please pm me, would love to hear about your flight back and just to stay in touch. I hope everyone had a safe flight back and jet lag is not killing anyone!
    We had the best cruise ever, it was our 5th one. It was mostly to do with Yacht Club area and all the attention and care we got. Totally recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

SweetSand wrote: »
    It’s funny how small the world is. We are just off that same MSC Seaside cruise (23/03-30/03) and met 2 Irish couples from Dublin on their honeymoons. We stayed in YC so did one couple (A&S) if you are fitzparker - please pm me, would love to hear about your flight back and just to stay in touch. I hope everyone had a safe flight back and jet lag is not killing anyone!
    We had the best cruise ever, it was our 5th one. It was mostly to do with Yacht Club area and all the attention and care we got. Totally recommend it!

Excellent, glad to hear it ! What would you say you liked most about the Seaside and how did it differ from the other cruises you went on... thanks. :D

SweetSand wrote: »

Hi Sweetsand, yes we were a couple from Dublin on honeymoon, perhaps it was us :) hope you enjoyed it anyway. we loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Oxkb4e

Has anyone sailed on the MSC meraviglia
    I plan to do an northern europe cruise in June 19

Any reviews would be so helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Hi all,
    Considering a European cruise for two in August, Never been on a cruise before..

Does anybody have any liners they recommend or would stay away from?

Also is it cold on deck when traveling? I'd hate to fork out few grand to have to wear jumpers on board all the time. Hoping in august this wouldn't be the case but asking to be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've been on 3 MSC Med cruises and had a great time. We went in April each time and had lovely weather, I don't like hot weather. We didn't need jumpers on deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

Hi guys doing the online check-in with NCL and they are offering travel protection which covers
    Trip Delay
    Accident/Sickness Medical Coverage
    Emergency Evacuation
    Repatriation
    Baggage Loss
    Bag Delay

Should we purchase this or book a separate travel protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Hi guys doing the online check-in with NCL and they are offering travel protection which covers
    Trip Delay
    Emergency Evacuation
    Repatriation
    Baggage Loss
    Bag Delay

depending on whether or not you have private health insurance, annual multi trip policies can be as cheap.

depending on whether or not you have private health insurance, annual multi trip policies can be as cheap.

Thanks SD, NCL looking for $25 per person so will price online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DT2

This is from VHI multi trip rules. (I can't post the link.) They won't cover the cost of air-sea rescue or emergency transfer ship to shore.

"Note: If You are undertaking a holiday on a cruise ship all appropriate benefits will apply when You are on board the cruise ship, whilst You
    are embarking or disembarking whether in a tender or otherwise. We will not pay for the costs of air-sea rescue or emergency transfer ship to shore."
    Trip Delay
    Emergency Evacuation
    Repatriation
    Baggage Loss
    Bag Delay

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Trip Delay
    Emergency Evacuation
    Repatriation
    Baggage Loss
    Bag Delay

I would have thought trip delay, baggage loss and delay are their responsibility and you would be claiming from them in this instance anyway. They're pretty good on the whole customer experience side of things so I'd not be bothering going through an insurance company for that.

Illness, medical etc....personal really. depends on how likely you are to get sick? would you take it out if you were going to a resort on land? if not, then no.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Illness, medical etc....personal really. depends on how likely you are to get sick? would you take it out if you were going to a resort on land? if not, then no.

It's not that simple. Beyond a sticking plaster or a rub of magic ointment from the nurse, virtually all medical treatment on board ship costs money. Whereas with an EHIC card, you can get treatment in most public hospitals in the EU and not have to pay anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

Going on our first cruise (Honeymoon) in a couple of weeks. Going on MSC Seaside around the Caribbean. Any tips or advice people would give? No idea what to expect - we went with the Aurea package including all drinks (I Think.. im sure there is some limit?)

Any advice appreciated :)

• Advertisement

paul-2008 wrote: »
    Going on our first cruise (Honeymoon) in a couple of weeks. Going on MSC Seaside around the Caribbean. Any tips or advice people would give? No idea what to expect - we went with the Aurea package including all drinks (I Think.. im sure there is some limit?)

Any advice appreciated :)

We went in March for our honeymoon and loved it. we are a young couple (both 28) and didnt know what to expect but everything was fantastic.

We did: Jamacia, caymen, cozemul, Nassau

If in caymen do the stingray sandbar, an unforgettable experience!

Get to the port as early as possible even though your ticket says check in time 2pm(i think)

We got there for around 10, got into the departure lounge around 10:45 and were on the ship for 11:50 (gives you the full day on it before it sets sail)

Book everything beforehand, Restaurants (trio experience works out cheap), Excursions etc, its cheaper.

you can book all your shows and restaurant times on the app and in room TV which is great.

Pay $5 for a wristband it does everything your card does and is handier, it means you dont need to bring your card with you around the ship.

If you haven't already booked it get the spa package for the week, its amazing and nothing lie you have been before (snow room (yes actual snow) geezer room sauna steam room etc...) and breaks the day up from the sun, there are also private loungers to relax there aswell.

We paid for gratuity (12.50 each a day) means you dont have to tip, but the end of the week we did slip money to a few of the bar staff who looked after us as well as our room cleaner.

if you dont have access to the mini bar a tip is dont be afraid to take drink from it, just replace it that night by getting a drink from the barstaff.

The zipline can be really busy, we bought ticket but never used it, if doing it go a day when docked and get back early (although if windy they close it)

My best tip is get a revolut card. you can use it to clear up your bill and with the exchange rate can save a good amount.

We did a night in miami when we got off the boat. if you are doing it book lunch in Versace Mansion. its only $30 for a three course meal and gets great brownie points from the other half! but book now, it books up really quick!

Advertisement