Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can anybody tell me what "ELITE" sports are?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,571 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Well it isn't fùckin greyhound racing, which appears to be still allowed behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Intercounty GAA is at a very high standard, and football and hurling are the most popular sports in Ireland. So I would consider both to be an elite sport in Ireland.

Whether elite sports should go ahead right now is a different question. I would say no, not worth it at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Elite sports are sports like soccer or rugby or tennis you need to be very fit you need real talent you need to train
    and stay in shape to compete at the highest level
    Eg to be on a winning team you need to be in the top 10 per cent
    You need to be physically fit and to have a positive mental attitude players like Maradona George Best or Pele had a special talent above the level of the other players on the team
    And you know someone s famous when they are known by 1 word
    Pele Ronaldo etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It is great to have some sort of entertainment.

The Championship going ahead is a big positive. It will give many people across the country something to look forward to. The same for racing, soccer and rugby.

The Masters starts in a few weeks and this will be enjoyable for golf fans.

To be honest if you don't like sport you have the option of not watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Not GAA anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Professional sports and Olympic/Paralympic Sports. I would give County GAA a pass even though I don't like it and especially don't like the association.

Pub league Club GAA should not have been given a pass. And the GAA had amble time to finish their championship during that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Professional sports and Olympic/Paralympic Sports. I would give County GAA a pass even though I don't like it and especially don't like the association.

Pub league Club GAA should not have been given a pass. And the GAA had amble time to finish their championship during that period.

Given the performance level and general interest, Gaa inter county would qualify as being elite. The fact then that the players and most of the backroom are not professional and therefore cannot stay in a gaa bubble all week due to going out to work should in my opinion immediate knock Gaa off the list of sports that can go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The top level of a given sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,770 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wouldn’t give the GAA a pass either. Problem is the mindset there will be try to appease people....you’d be nuts to...

They’ll have a hundred people with bibs in the first round of games with ball boy / steward / whatever.. obviously as gaeilge three hundred the following week and by the provincial finals there will be hundreds more if not thousands more in situ.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are three sports namely fishing, shooting and hunting. All the rest are mere games.

• Advertisement

About ten levels higher than I ever managed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Strumms wrote: »
    I wouldn’t give the GAA a pass either. Problem is the mindset there will be try to appease people....you’d be nuts to...

They’ll have a hundred people with bibs in the first round of games with ball boy / steward / whatever.. obviously as gaeilge three hundred the following week and by the provincial finals there will be hundreds more if not thousands more in situ.

Yeah as I said, the GAA had plenty of time to finish their championship.

The League of Ireland and Professional Rugby came back in August but the GAA faffed about and held their parish pub league cups instead.

The League of Ireland is finishing off their season and Dundalk are in the Europa League. They have to finish the season and we currently cannot see a league happening next season.

Pro Rugby is in a perilous position. Its the only truly world class team sport we have in the country and if the players cannot be paid, we will see an exodus and the provincial teams decimated.

If the GAA doesn't happen, well so what? They dont pay their players anyway. The players will all be there next season. The association will have a financial hole to fill but they can just hold off on their capital expenditure for a year or 2. I would imagine a lot of GAA expenditure is on infrastructure spending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

ELETE SPORTS

Polo
    Fencing
    Archery
    Dressage

“Elite” has become so overused, it is now a word that is sufficiently vague and ill-defined to allow a lot of wriggle room for defining sports that lobby hard enough to keep playing during a Level 5 lockdown

And “Lockdown” has become so overused, it is now a word that is sufficiently vague and ill-defined to allow a lot of wriggle room for defining what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

“Elite” has become so overused, it is now a word that is sufficiently vague and ill-defined to allow a lot of wriggle room for defining sports that lobby hard enough to keep playing during a Level 5 lockdown

And “Lockdown” has become so overused, it is now a word that is sufficiently vague and ill-defined to allow a lot of wriggle room for defining what it means.

Wriggle room is overused...

Advertisement