Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ach álainn- is this correct Irish?

• 21-10-2018 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

My family want to put the phrase "ach álainn" on a gravestone. However, I'm kind of skeptical (despite my limited Irish) on if its correct? They got it from google translate, which I don't trust, and I can't seem to see the phrase anywhere online.

I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me if its right or not?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It doesn't look right to me at all. What meaning are they looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 brenn

It doesn't look right to me at all. What meaning are they looking for?

breadcrumb_divider.png
    Beautiful ,or only beautiful. When I said that I thought it was go halainn, someone said that they had seen ach alainn on another gravestone before, but her Irish is even worse than mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Never came across it, only thing I can think of that they might be confusing it with is Áit Áiainn which would be Beauty Spot or a Beautiful Spot/place

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Strikingly( or very ) beautiful is " an-álainn "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Probably a literal translation from Google as I can't imagine it would have as much input into translation as other languages? Ach meaning just or but, and alainn being beautiful, but not really making sense when used?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

brenn wrote: »
    My family want to put the phrase "ach álainn" on a gravestone. However, I'm kind of skeptical (despite my limited Irish) on if its correct? They got it from google translate, which I don't trust, and I can't seem to see the phrase anywhere online.

I was wondering if anyone on here could tell me if its right or not?

Never seen that before. "Just beautiful" would be "Díreach go h-álainn". "Only beautiful" is a bit trickier. It's hard to translate partial sentences.

Maybe "Go h-álainn amháin" or "í go hálainn amháin"?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Strikingly( or very ) beautiful is " an-aláinn "

or "fíor álainn".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

"Go fíor álainn" = really beautiful

PS make sure the fada is on the first "a" : say, AWL-ing

Advertisement