Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's CV as Gaeilge?

• 28-03-2011 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

What's CV as Gaeilge? Is it gairm ré?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

What is CV in english?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Curriculum Vitae.

I know it's Latin or something similar, but I want to know if gairm ré is correct also?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Not really.

It's Latin. Use CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Focal.ie agrees that you shouldn't translate it:

http://focal.ie/Search.aspx?term=Curriculum+Vitae

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

I'd stick with curriculum vitae, even if the content is all in Irish. There are just too many possible translations of curriculum vitae, the 'course of one's life'.

I sent a text to the Freagra service (for short translation queries) asking them for the translation of cul de sac, after a conversation with some Germans who thought it was weird we had it in French on all our signs, and the answer I got back was 'cul de sac' = 'cul de sac'

They could have been nicer about it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

That Freagra thing is a joke.

@op:
    CV is CV. Keep it simple.

Aard wrote: »
    That Freagra thing is a joke.

Maybe they are under-resourced. I don't use it anymore but when I did it usually took up to week or more to get a response, sometimes I got none.
    Well at least it was free!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

pog it wrote: »

I sent a text to the Freagra service (for short translation queries) asking them for the translation of cul de sac, after a conversation with some Germans who thought it was weird we had it in French on all our signs, and the answer I got back was 'cul de sac' = 'cul de sac'

They could have been nicer about it :)

Focal.ie has it as 'cul de sac', though if you scroll down the page you'll see that it makes reference to a recently published military dictionary that gives the term 'bealach caoch' as a translation.

I sent 'Freagra' a question by text once and got no reply. Never bothered since. When you think about it, it's virtually a redundant service now anyway, since almost anyone using it is likely to be in an environment where there is web access at hand, lots of phones now have easy internet access and you can check these things for yourself within seconds on sites like focal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9 clarabellabee

Hi all,
    just wondering if anyone can help me with making these words plural?

faithne - wart
    Buaf - toad

also is it right to say :
    Oíche Shamhna fado - halloween long ago
    An féidir cabhair a thabhairt liomsa - can you help me?

any help at all would be great

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

faithní
    buafa

Oíche Shamhna fadó

An féidir leat cabhair a thabhairt liomsa
    An féidir leat cabhrú liom

• Advertisement

" an féidir leat cabhair a thabhairt dom" (far as I know it's dom and not liom; or maybe just a quick typo from crosáidí)

And "an féidir leat cabhrú/cuidiú liom"

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cmacmurchaidh

Cúrsa Beatha is the only translation I have ever seen for CV

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

Agree on CV, I'd leave it as is.

Thinking about it, I'm more in the habit of saying "An dtig leat ...?" for "Can you/could you ...?", i.e. a request, and tend to use "an féidir?" more specifically in terms of capacity or ability to do something. (Not saying one is more right or wrong than the other, just thinking out loud!) So I'd be more likely to say "An dtig leat cuidiú liom?" but e.g. "An féidir leat tiomáint?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

kaji wrote: »
    What's CV as Gaeilge? Is it gairm ré?
    I've also heard gairm ré.
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090613082131AAzeL2j

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

Has anyone ever seen a CV with the English translation as a heading?

Life Course or some such?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Gaeilge72

I agree on CV. It is generally what is to be seen on Irish language job vacancies / postings.

Advertisement