Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Retro Game Intros

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

Here's another decent c64 intro:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,801 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Kapustina wrote: »
    Cash Bandicoot FOREVER

The music and character have annoyed me since release.

I just remember the original game as this mediocre platformer that was badly received yet gets recognition because it was the only popular platformer on PS1 so everyone played it. Klonoa and tomba were far better than crash bandicoot ever achieved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have always loved the first Gran Turismo game's intro, as much for the excellent use of "Everything Must Go" by the Manics.
    It took me a near decade to find that on CD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Super Metroid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've always been fond of the Street Fighter Alpha 3 intro.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have always loved the first Gran Turismo game's intro, as much for the excellent use of "Everything Must Go" by the Manics.

This is the strongest nostalgia I've had in a long time! Have a few songs from the game in my Spotify library :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Not so much an intro as it just played in the background, but I loved the sound on Galaxian, the intro showing the points for each shot down ship.

https://youtu.be/XhYVcwhSWjI

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

o1s1n wrote: »
    Duke Nukem: A Time to Kill.

Game was pretty mediocre but always liked the intro. Especially the track.

Haven't actually watched it in years so it may have aged terribly! NSFW for pixelated boobage.

That was embarrassing even back at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,409 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Thargor wrote: »
    That was embarrassing even back at the time.

Only embarrassing for those who take gaming far too seriously :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

DaveyDave wrote: »
    This is the strongest nostalgia I've had in a long time! Have a few songs from the game in my Spotify library :)

This is the actual full CD release, just over six minutes long!.
    I went through a few bob trying to find this, but did in Chapters, back when it was on Abbey St and sold lots of CDs and Vinyl.

Just thought of this! Loved the sound of overboost.

• Advertisement

Just thought of this! Loved the sound of overboost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Two which I'm surprised didn't get mentioned

Syndicate (Amiga)

Syndicate Wars (PS1)

The other is Gran Turismo on the PS1 with "Everything Must Go"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,409 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

God, I loved Syndicate Wars! The little 2000AD animated ads blew my mind. Still remember paying full whack for that when it came out in Advanced Vision in Bray, 45 pounds. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

o1s1n wrote: »
    God, I loved Syndicate Wars! The little 2000AD animated ads blew my mind. Still remember paying full whack for that when it came out in Advanced Vision in Bray, 45 pounds. :eek:

Ah, the in game billboard ads! There was another for Ghost In The Shell too :)

The best thing about Ridge Racer Type 4 was the opening movie, the game was very hard for me to love!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

Ridge Racer Type 4 is the best in the series for me. I poured hours into it and the soundtrack was excellent, that intro is definitely a stand out from that era too.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

I remember hearing that track for the first time and spending weeks hunting through local record shops for it, one of them eventually found it and ordered it in for me. Still a cracking remix.

Great intro, great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

25th Anniversary version released recently too and it's great

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Immediately thought of Omega Boost when I say the thread title and went to watch the intro, which in my head was class.

It eh.....it's definitely of it's era let's say. Probably cost a mental amount of money too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement