Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you should have realised years ago.

Options
  • 08-08-2020 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

I always thought aslan would have been worldwide stars lime U2 if Christy hadnt of got the drug conviction.

Dawned on me there this evening listening to shame about Lucy Moonhead. Aslan as good as they were werent in the same street as U2. Aslan had 2 or 3 good albums, U2 had 2 or 3 of the greatest albums of all time, and then a pile of other albums across all sorts of genres and decades.

I just wanted to believe it because U2 were posh and Aslan werent.

Anyway what dawned on you one day. What realisation did you have. What truth did you realise wasnt a truth at all.

2 posts in somebody will say U2 are ****e, ye good on ye.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Aslan had the potential to be an incredible world standard band. Their entire career (& therefore writing/recording influences) are Ireland/Dublin/Finglas based experiences.

If they'd achieved the potential they had on their first album, there's no reason they wouldn't have been as big as U2.

I love both bands, but U2s relevance faded a long time ago. I still listen to their older stuff a lot, equally would listen to Early Aslan a lot.

An Emotional Fish are one I'm surprised didn't strike bigger outside Ireland. Something Happens, equally could have been a big pop band if they'd moved outside of Ireland.

Music aside, something I should have realised years ago is that it doesn't matter how hard you work or are qualified, network & contacts will get you further.

U2 are ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

People are cnuts.

That soçial media is a joke and only serves to make you feel bad about yourself

And the amount of folks my parents age,who are absolutely vile,bitter and spiteful people is disturbing,and makes me glad of my own parents

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

"I don't remember where I was, I released, life was a game"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Both Aslan and U2 are mediocre at best. Occasional good tunes but neither are good enough to be world famous.

Bono is a sickening pox as an individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

And the amount of folks my parents age,who are absolutely vile,bitter and spiteful people is disturbing,and makes me glad of my own parents

I abandoned Facebook a while ago, it's just full of old people and their nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I abandoned Facebook a while ago, it's just full of old people and their nonsense

I log in to it once a week on my laptop to see if anyone I know or belong to them has died, I'd never instal the app on any device I own knowing what it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I should have realised years ago that in career progression you get nothing unless you demand it. I always waited patiently, expecting to be recognised for the good work I was doing, but never asking. And it would happen eventually - a raise or a promotion. But it always seemed too little, too late.

The stupid thing is that I was given direct lesson in this right at the beginning of my career 20 years ago. But I still never properly acted on it.

Until late last year, when I found out that some colleagues were paid way more than me. In a matter of seconds, a light went on in my head and I realised that I wasn’t being shafted by the company - I was shafting myself.

I pretty much sorted it out with one conversation that resulted in a decent promotion and pay rise. But I can’t help shake the feeling of how far further along I could be if I had been more assertive over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

The average age of boards posters is circa 50

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

99% of the Web is a waste of effort

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

"I don't remember where I was, I released, life was a game"

The more seriously I took things the harder the rules became

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I log in to it once a week on my laptop to see if anyone I know or belong to them has died, I'd never instal the app on any device I own knowing what it does.

I just call into my mother and she'll tell me everyone who has died in a 200 mile radius of the parish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Aslan could never have made it big in this crazy world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

People aren't to be trusted

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I just realised that i'm the bollix that I strived to be and doing it with no effort whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

If I could sum up social media in one image it would be that one of the joker standing aloft on top of a police car with his arms outstretched and the mob below him.
    Facebook and Twitter in particular. Two absolute cess pits that breed contempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Doing some goal setting on a Saturday night. Have never done this before but figure I need to sort out this ongoing depression fairly lively. The ongoing feeling of nothingness is just odd and has flipped me into some very dark thoughts at times. No joy, sadness, nothing and its certainly impacting my overall quality of life at 33. I have felt this way since my early teens and I would put it down to quite a traumatic childhood. My Big life goal has narrowed to having a family and to get there I need good mental health which hopefully lead to lots of other good things.

So in essence, I am setting goals with the sole aim of trying to pull my mind from the place it seems eternally stuck in. I think its making me come across as quite negative, not the most attractive trait in a person. I have tried to fix it before with counselors etc but this is a different approach.

Kudos to those that pull themselves out of these ruts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

People gravitate to be friends or colleagues happy, positive, easy to be with people.

Looks matter. Being well groomed and well turned iut makes a difference.

Being slim and beautiful makes everything easier and more accessible in life.

You can ruin a whole career or peoples impression of you forever by one fit of temper or bad conversation. This can be unrepairable. Impressions matter.

People cn be very nice to people they dislike and you would never guess they were not your ally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Those who say things like "people are ***** and aren't to be trusted" aren't including themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Saw U2 a few years ago

Nice to have seen them live.

Would i go back?

No, don't think so.

Says it all really.

If Bono shut the **** up and they just played music then maybe.

Aslan are brutal..they'd what two reasonable songs..

U2, as much as it pains me to say it because Bono's a knob, had a few great albums down through the years..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

School was great.

37 year old me would love to do a few irish history classes again(I never listened or did one assignment)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭eggy81

The whole world revolves around money. Not sure if this is as it ever was but its not even debatable anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Aslan are brutal..they'd what two reasonable songs..

U2, as much as it pains me to say it because Bono's a knob, had a few great albums down through the years..

The Joshua Tree, the quality of which will never be repeated in my lifetime

RMAOK wrote: »
    People aren't to be trusted

I think that's a bit sad :(
    How do you form close relationships if you feel that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Always judge a book by it's cover.

Trust your instincts basically.

AllForIt wrote: »
    Always judge a book by it's cover.

Trust your instincts basically.

Yes. I definitely agree with trusting your instincts.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

I work in the public sector, about 6 years at this stage. I've learned that talent, attitude, ability and intelligence matter for nothing. It's the politicians that get rewarded and advance. The naivety takes a few years to wear off and you see that doing your job well isn't what's rewarded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I should have realised years ago that in career progression you get nothing unless you demand it. I always waited patiently, expecting to be recognised for the good work I was doing, but never asking. And it would happen eventually - a raise or a promotion. But it always seemed too little, too late.

The stupid thing is that I was given direct lesson in this right at the beginning of my career 20 years ago. But I still never properly acted on it.

Until late last year, when I found out that some colleagues were paid way more than me. In a matter of seconds, a light went on in my head and I realised that I wasn’t being shafted by the company - I was shafting myself.

I pretty much sorted it out with one conversation that resulted in a decent promotion and pay rise. But I can’t help shake the feeling of how far further along I could be if I had been more assertive over the years.

I suddenly felt transported to the Work Issues forum

Advertisement