Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Masters in English

• 27-08-2008 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hey guys just looking for some advice. I'm wondering about any interesting masters in Ireland that deal with English, in a contemporary sense?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Thats kinda vague. I'm studying culture and colonialism in NUIG this year (or will be soon) because I'm interested in English literary criticism. What topics or modules have you done in your degree that you really liked and wanted to do in more detail? What courses have you looked at so far? What degree are you doing, and do you have a second subject that you might like to continue using in some way for your masters? Are you looking for taught or research masters?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

I have just finished a masters in English in UCD. It really depends on what you are interested in. I did mine in American literature, and we studied mostly modern literature. UCD also offers a MA course on Modernity, Literature, and Culture, which looks very interesting: http://www.ucd.ie/englishanddrama/masters/modern.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

Thats kinda vague. I'm studying culture and colonialism in NUIG this year (or will be soon) because I'm interested in English literary criticism. What topics or modules have you done in your degree that you really liked and wanted to do in more detail? What courses have you looked at so far? What degree are you doing, and do you have a second subject that you might like to continue using in some way for your masters? Are you looking for taught or research masters?

I said I would leave it vague to see if anyone would say something that had not yet come to mind. Just about to start my fourth year in English, Media and Cultural Studies in IADT. I'm interested in all of these sectors and my thesis will be emcompassing the three of them. As you already pointed out, it is all a little vague, but to be honest I am still really up in the air and was just looking for advice and help by people with some experience in this area. I think I would be edging more in the direction of doing a taught masters. Again all advice welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Hmm, I left it vague for too long and ending up not doing a masters after my BA. So are there things you can rule out right away? What about universities? I did the BA at NUIM, but the masters didn't interest me at all, so I ruled that one out pretty early. Do you want to try a different uni, or stay in IADT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mrpippin

Hi,

I hope you are doing well. I know this thread is old, but I was wondering if you could help me. I want to know about the Masters in English Literature and Culture in UCD and the matching one in TCD. Does it have exams? etc? Can someone help me? I recently graduated form a Business degree but I have always wanted to do a course in English Lit. Is it easy to make friends in these colleges etc etc? Let me know thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement