Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kayaking Upper Shannon, Athlone to Carrick

• 25-11-2017 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Has anyone paddled Athlone to Carrick On Shannon?

I'm thinking of doing it this April, 2017.
    Sea Kayak and possibly wild camp.
    On way, upriver, Athlone to Carrick On Shannon.

If anyone has experience please contact me. Something like 60Km total.
    I usually paddle on flatwater at about 7Kmph, so I presume this would be 10 hrs straight paddling, probably broken up over 3 days.

Some questions:
    Are there camp spots along the way?
    Will the downstream current affect us?
    Any barriers along the way for kayaks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

I've not done it but I plan on doing it when my kids are a bit older. But I would go the other way. IMO might as well take advantage of the flow. I would think this will be significant in places where the river narrows and could be very significant if recent heavy rain. I've often watched boats go upstream at place like Portumna and there is a right flow there and plenty of boats make a meal of it.

I don't know if the locks will allow seakayaks so if they don't you will have a portage in a couple of places, like Albert Lock https://goo.gl/maps/1GD6qvXB2Rw but other than that there shouldn't be any obstacles.

Re camping. Any account I've read (sorry can't remember where) people just wild camped. Plenty of isolated spots along the way were I'm sure if you follow the leave no trace principle no-one would mind.

BTW I presume you mean April 2018.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

WildWater wrote: »

Re camping. Any account I've read (sorry can't remember where) people just wild camped. Plenty of isolated spots along the way were I'm sure if you follow the leave no trace principle no-one would mind.
    Just in case the OP (or indeed anyone else) would like to ask about wild camping options/protocols, we do have a dedicated forum here

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

WildWater wrote: »
    I've not done it but I plan on doing it when my kids are a bit older. But I would go the other way. IMO might as well take advantage of the flow. I would think this will be significant in places where the river narrows and could be very significant if recent heavy rain. I've often watched boats go upstream at place like Portumna and there is a right flow there and plenty of boats make a meal of it.

I don't know if the locks will allow seakayaks so if they don't you will have a portage in a couple of places, like Albert Lock https://goo.gl/maps/1GD6qvXB2Rw but other than that there shouldn't be any obstacles.

BTW I presume you mean April 2018.

Yes April 2018.
    I have a date in Carrick hence I thought a paddle up would kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
    Paddling down would definitely be better, I wonder how much current there is in the narrow spots.

Ill have a look for photos of the locks to determine portage.

Advertisement