Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help - My Saorview TV signal has become too weak

• 11-09-2019 11:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I get my TV channels via an aerial on the roof. I get RTE, TV3, TG4, Virgin channels etc. I get them on the DTV option which I presume is Digital. When I press Guide, I can see all the available channels and the schedule for each channel. I do not have a Saorview box but I do have something called a 'signal booster' - the aerial cable feeds into the signal booster before connecting to the TV.

For some reason yesterday, the TV came up with a 'Weak Signal' message. I am not good technically but can anyone suggest what might have changed? Could my signal booster have died or am I being forced to buy a Saorview box?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You already have a Saorview box, a signal booster can't convert analog to digital. Try the Saorview coverage checker and see what transmitter you should be picking up.

The frequencies on your transmiter may have changed on Sept 4th but there is a six month changeover period so the old frequencies should still be there. Have you tried retuning?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

What would a Saorview box look like? I dont have anything else connected to the TV. Perhaps the box is in the attic but I doubt it. Or could the TV have inbuilt Saorview? Its a 5 year old Samsung TV.

You said the TV supports a DTV option which means it can handle a digital signal so it's a Saorview TV.

Ireland switched off the analog signal in 2012, every TV sold here since then can handle Saorview. At the time of the changeover, people with older TVs which could not handle a digital signal bought themselves a little unit called a 'set top box' to convert the Saorview signal and send it to the (non-digital) TV via a SCART or HDMI cable. Your TV doesn't require this conversion as the tuner in the TV can handle Saorview.

coylemj wrote: »
    You said the TV supports a DTV option which means it can handle a digital signal so it's a Saorview TV.

Ireland switched off the analog signal in 2012, every TV sold here since then can handle Saorview. At the time of the changeover, people with older TVs which could not handle a digital signal bought themselves a little unit called a 'set top box' to convert the Saorview signal and send it to the (non-digital) TV via a SCART or HDMI cable. Your TV doesn't require this conversion as the tuner in the TV can handle Saorview.

Gotcha, thanks.

It must be the signal booster so. I haven't had a signal issue since I bought the TV.

Does the signal booster have a power source? That might be your problem. But with a rooftop aerial, you shouldn't need a booster. What transmitter are you receiving from and how far away is it? Click that Saorview coverage checker in post #2 above if you're not sure.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    Does the signal booster have a power source? That might be your problem. But with a rooftop aerial, you shouldn't need a booster. What transmitter are you receiving from and how far away is it? Click that Saorview coverage checker in post #2 above if you're not sure.

Yeah the signal booster is plugged in. The aerial cable goes into the booster and out to the TV. Our particular area is notorious for poor signal quality.
    I had to get the booster when we built the house.

2RN Transmitter = Tonabrocky (In Galway, about 10km away)

2RN Transmitter = Tonabrocky (In Galway, about 10km away)

Ok, that transmitter is not affected by the frequency changes.

I asked the mods to move this thread over to 'Terrestrial', you'll get expert advice there. Maybe just start a new thread. Be sure to mention (in the first sentence) that you are getting your signal from Tonabrocky and that the signal is known to be poor in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

... I get my TV channels via an aerial on the roof. I get RTE, TV3, TG4, Virgin channels etc. I get them on the DTV option which I presume is Digital. When I press Guide, I can see all the available channels and the schedule for each channel. I do not have a Saorview box but I do have something called a 'signal booster' - the aerial cable feeds into the signal booster before connecting to the TV.

For some reason yesterday, the TV came up with a 'Weak Signal' message. I am not good technically but can anyone suggest what might have changed?

Are all Saorview channels affected, or maybe RTE2, TG4, Virgin1 & 2 are still ok?

All channels were completely gone. The local TV repair guy fixed it. Excellent service. Some box attached to the aerial had burnt itself out (electrically speaking). In fact I don't need a signal booster anymore. All sorted. Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

... Some box attached to the aerial had burnt itself out (electrically speaking).

That would be the amplifier itself. The plug-in part behind the TV is the power supply. (Sends power up the aerial cable.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement