Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Getting a book published?

Options
  • 06-03-2019 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has pointers/ideas on getting a book published?
    It's a friends first foray into writing and is aimed at the Young Adult market.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

She thought perhaps going through an agent might be better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

She thought perhaps going through an agent might be better?

The good thing about seeking an agent is that you'll soon find out if you've much prospects.

I think there's only one agent in Ireland that considers YA. Maybe it changed in the last few years.

There are more in the UK. Your friend should do some research to see what each agent requires. The writers and artists year book is an excellent resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

If one were to self publish then I wonder how do you go about having the book placed on the shelf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

If one were to self publish then I wonder how do you go about having the book placed on the shelf?

You get the book manufactured through various printing houses who can source an ISBN if you wish, and you then ring up book sellers and ask if they'll stock for you. Or you can sell yourself via website for example.

The second step is the tricky bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement