Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Modernise childrens books like Famous 5 series by Enid Blyton & other childrensbooks

• 23-01-2019 4:12pm

I read Famous 5 and Secret 7 books when i was small. Nowadays in the era of smartphones in kids' possession virtually all these stories Would be laughed at by the present younger generation.
    So could Famous five adventures be updated, or are they consigned to a bygone age, best viewed with rose tinted spectacles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I’ve a nephew aged 8 who loves them.

Kids like reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I read a politically correct version of one of those a few years ago, where they took out the golliwogs, renamed Fanny to Frannie and Dick to Rick etc. Just not the same. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I read Famous 5 and Secret 7 books when i was small. Nowadays in the era of smartphones in kids' possession virtually all these stories Would be laughed at by the present younger generation.
    So could Famous five adventures be updated, or are they consigned to a bygone age, best viewed with rose tinted spectacles?

My kids all love(d) Enid Blyton, she was a great storyteller, I read to them all or have done and she’s head and shoulders above most of what’s out there

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭hotshots85

It could be called Re-book instead of a Reboot.

***Tumbleweed****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

It's a bit like the argument that Americans don't understand anything outside of US English and you end up with something like "Sherlock Holmes strolled down the sidewalk to downtown London."

Kids reading those books are looking at a world as it was when the author wrote it. It's a different time and the language of that time. Surely that's part of the fun of reading it? It doesn't have to be entirely familiar.

• Advertisement

^^ US Kids would ideally benefit from the likes of a Danger Mouse DICTIONARY too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Polar101

"And then he ordered takeaway on his smartphone"

I don't know, when I read the books in the 80´s, they felt a bit old-fashioned, but I didn't feel that was a problem. Would it really be any different now? Sure, a kid who doesn't like reading probably wouldn't enjoy Blyton - but you'd think it's the adventures that matter to the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

Enid Blython's books were old fashioned when I read them in the 90s; aspects of them were outdated when my mother read them in the late 60s and early 70s, and some where already behind the times when my grandmother read them in the early fifties. Yet we all loved them and, today, my seven-old-cousin is enjoying both David Walliams and the Faraway Tree books to the same extent.

Surely one of the great joys of reading is that it can transport you to different places and different times and let you experience things that you'd never know otherwise? I loved the Mallory Towers books, Nancy Drew, Little House on the Prarie - all series of their time, written for a contemporary audience, and far, far removed from my own life in rural Ireland. It's the same reason genres like fantasy and historical fiction exist in children's literature. It's not so much the setting that counts as the story - like someone else mentioned, the adventures in the Famous Five can still be exciting today as they were seventy years ago.

I think you're not giving children - and their imaginations - enough credit if you think they won't read something they can't immediately relate to.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I just bought my 9yr old Moonfleet, written in 1898!
    Wonder how it will read in his modern world?

I remember reading it at school as a youngster and loving it.

Going to read it when he's done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It might be a nice escape for them

• Advertisement
Advertisement