Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-07-2020, 08:09   #46
893bet

Bought a code on amazon last year for a tenner.

Still working!
Advertisement
31-07-2020, 10:09   #47
McMurphy
Bannned

What is wrong with product keys from the likes of eBay?

I have 365 via work, but I know on the Lenovo thread, lots of people were championing the eBay route?

Am I missing something obvious? Asking as I was intending on getting one for my parents laptop.
31-07-2020, 10:15   #48
SachaJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
What is wrong with product keys from the likes of eBay?

I have 365 via work, but I know on the Lenovo thread, lots of people were championing the eBay route?

Am I missing something obvious? Asking as I was intending on getting one for my parents laptop.
My understanding is that the ebay keys are volume licensing. So you are dependent on whoever owns the volume license renewing or you could lose it.

In my case I get 6 licenses for about €50 a year or €4 a month. Members of my family are using the licenses so its a small price to pay to keep it legit. I'd have a pain in my arse if any of the licenses expired. I was paying Dropbox €10 a month so this works out much cheaper and includes genuine MS Office licenses.
(2) thanks from:
31-07-2020, 10:21   #49
McMurphy
Bannned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SachaJ View Post
My understanding is that the ebay keys are volume licensing. So you are dependent on whoever owns the volume license renewing or you could lose it.

In my case I get 6 licenses for about €50 a year or €4 a month. Members of my family are using the licenses so its a small price to pay to keep it legit. I'd have a pain in my arse if any of the licenses expired. I was paying Dropbox €10 a month so this works out much cheaper and includes genuine MS Office licenses.
Makes a lot of sense when you put it like that, I'm guessing if you had a lot of data saved to the ms cloud, and the license wasn't renewed, you're at risk of losing it all.
31-07-2020, 11:08   #50
AlmightyCushion

Quote:

Even if you never use Office, Office 365 is great value just for OneDrive. 1TB cloud storage for 6 people for €100 is great value. Even better if you can get it cheaper.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-07-2020, 11:10   #51
SachaJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyCushion View Post
Even if you never use Office, Office 365 is great value just for OneDrive. 1TB cloud storage for 6 people for €100 is great value. Even better if you can get it cheaper.
I believe the main account holder now gets 2TB while the other 5 accounts get 1TB.
31-07-2020, 11:52   #52
editorsean

Quote:
For anyone using Microsoft 365 from work, it may not work much longer across other Windows accounts on the PC, at least from my experience. I have a separate Windows logon for my workplace and since installing Office 365 (now Microsoft 365) a few years back, I have been able to use Word, Excel, etc. from my personal Windows log on account.

As of a few days ago, when I launch Word on my own Windows account, it started displaying a notice to confirm my account. If I click Next, it says that this account does not have Office and gives the option to buy a subscription. When I close this, Word says it hasn't been activated and that on Friday, 31 July 2020, most features of Word will be disabled. On my Workplace Windows account, everything appears fine in Word, Excel, etc. even under File -> Account.

So when Amazon, Argos, etc. started this deal a few days ago, it looks like Microsoft is trying to entice those affected on to a subscription for personal use before they soon look for alternatives.
31-07-2020, 12:56   #53
swampy353

Send a message via MSN to swampy353
Quote:
Originally Posted by editorsean View Post
For anyone using Microsoft 365 from work, it may not work much longer across other Windows accounts on the PC, at least from my experience. I have a separate Windows logon for my workplace and since installing Office 365 (now Microsoft 365) a few years back, I have been able to use Word, Excel, etc. from my personal Windows log on account.

As of a few days ago, when I launch Word on my own Windows account, it started displaying a notice to confirm my account. If I click Next, it says that this account does not have Office and gives the option to buy a subscription. When I close this, Word says it hasn't been activated and that on Friday, 31 July 2020, most features of Word will be disabled. On my Workplace Windows account, everything appears fine in Word, Excel, etc. even under File -> Account.

So when Amazon, Argos, etc. started this deal a few days ago, it looks like Microsoft is trying to entice those affected on to a subscription for personal use before they soon look for alternatives.
You dont have to use the same login for windows and ms365. On my personal PC, i login to windows using my MS account address and then logged into ms365 using my work address.
It could be something that the admin in work has deactivated on their 365 sub, but my personal experience is different from yours
Thanks from:
31-07-2020, 13:09   #54
in2dark

Quote:
That is my intention anyway. I assume it comes with a product key.
Did you try it? Did it work?
Advertisement
31-07-2020, 13:12   #55
OU812

Quote:
Originally Posted by slave1 View Post
Ebay guys, with multiple install licences
Generally illegal licences which can be shut down any time
31-07-2020, 13:46   #56
McMurphy
Bannned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Generally illegal licences which can be shut down any time
I think this was suggested over on the Lenovo thread, and was roundly dismissed at the time.

Not illegal at all if my memory is serving me correctly, more to do with bulk buying of licenses from within organisations, be they education/businesses etc.
31-07-2020, 14:16   #57
editorsean

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy353 View Post
You dont have to use the same login for windows and ms365. On my personal PC, i login to windows using my MS account address and then logged into ms365 using my work address.
It could be something that the admin in work has deactivated on their 365 sub, but my personal experience is different from yours
That seems to work. When I signed in with my work e-mail address and the 2FA challenge, the activation notice disappeared. I then toggled to my personal Microsoft account to see my files instead of my workplace's recent Sharepoint content.

As I don't share my PC, this is not an issue, but certainly would not recommend anyone trying this with kids Windows logon accounts. I did try signing out to see whether it reains the activation even temporarily, but the moment I sign out of my work e-mail address, Word deactivated, so had to sign back in.
31-07-2020, 20:24   #58
OU812

Quote:
I think this was suggested over on the Lenovo thread, and was roundly dismissed at the time.

Not illegal at all if my memory is serving me correctly, more to do with bulk buying of licenses from within organisations, be they education/businesses etc.
I bought one before to see what it’s like (now subscribe myself) and the OneDrive email address was some college in Spain and all the user details on docs created had the same college details in it.
31-07-2020, 21:10   #59
shanec1928

Quote:

It is it’s against the t/c’s you sign when you (the org where the licenses are originate from) sign up an enterprise agreement.
01-08-2020, 07:53   #60
sioda

Send a message via MSN to sioda
Quote:
Thanks for that my subscription was literally running out today. In use this primarily for the one drive back up office is a bonus

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion