Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Google Pixel 3a €249 on Vodafone (In Stock!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

wassie wrote: »
    You do not need to port your existing number across either.
    • To get the discount you do need to select 'keep existing number' then it will send you a verification code.
    • Enter this, select any date to port across and proceed to checkout.
    • You will receive your phone and a sim card - simply put the sim card in the bin.
    If you never activate the VF service the port can not occur.

Thanks for this,

just ordered there and got a confirmation email.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭leo2a6

is this phone better than the p30 lite ?
    VF sells them both at the the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I was wondering about that. I didn't want to derail the thread, but it would be good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Raoul

Potentially very interested in this but worried it may become a lot less value when the pixel 4a is announced next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

If I order this, is it unlocked to any network or stuck on Vodafone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭SickBoy

emclau wrote: »
    If I order this, is it unlocked to any network or stuck on Vodafone?

Unlocked according to earlier posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

wassie wrote: »
    You do not need to port your existing number across either.
    • To get the discount you do need to select 'keep existing number' then it will send you a verification code.
    • Enter this, select any date to port across and proceed to checkout.
    • You will receive your phone and a sim card - simply put the sim card in the bin.
    If you never activate the VF service the port can not occur.

False. The number will port regardless of if you use the new sim that comes with it or not. Your original sim will show no service.

I have bought 7 phones through these deals since before last Christmas.

Raoul wrote: »
    Potentially very interested in this but worried it may become a lot less value when the pixel 4a is announced next week.

For 129 its a bargain. Even with 4a coming its still a great price

The TCL phone in the deal is not bad either for 149 as it comes with free earbuds worth 80.

leo2a6 wrote: »
    is this phone better than the p30 lite ?
    VF sells them both at the the same price.

Have bought both of them from Vodafone over the last year. Both are decent. Obviously the Pixel has stock Android and will be better served with updates. It also has a nicer camera.

The P30 lite is a nicer looking phone with a the screen is better looking. It also has more storage, which is expendable.

Both are decent, but personally I'd go for the pixel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

dan786 wrote: »
    False. The number will port regardless of if you use the new sim that comes with it or not. Your original sim will show no service.

How do you go about availing of the deal so without changing your SIM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭gussieg

eurokev wrote: »

You get another sim from a different service provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

gussieg wrote: »
    You get another sim from a different service provider.

But you need to get a verification code sent to the new number to complete the order ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

But you need to get a verification code sent to the new number to complete the order ???

Yes get a new sim to get that sms !

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

dan786 wrote: »

Yep, I can categorically confirm that this is the case.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Basil3 wrote: »
    Have bought both of them from Vodafone over the last year. Both are decent. Obviously the Pixel has stock Android and will be better served with updates. It also has a nicer camera.

The P30 lite is a nicer looking phone with a the screen is better looking. It also has more storage, which is expendable.

Both are decent, but personally I'd go for the pixel.
    Would agree with this, although personally I'd favour the P30 Lite. The P30 Lite may also come as a dual-SIM and the single-SIM version can be flashed to make it dual-SIM (as it has the dual-SIM hardware).

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

As new people are coming to this thread without reading the previous posts - understandable considering it is now at 130 pages! - here's what I wrote last year, slightly updated:

To get the special offer price you need to move (port) a current number to Vodafone, so that VF think they are getting your business. You can pick a PAYG tariff, but you'll never be using it with that SIM and hence won't be charged. First, you want to get a new non-Voda SIM and number for free, in order to move *that* number to VF, rather than your current one you want to keep. You need that first as providers need to text a code to the porting number to make sure it is yours, and that's what gets you the €100 off.

You should be able to get Eir to send you a new PAYG SIM for free (https://www.eir.ie/mobile/prepay/free-sim-cards/). Another option is Lycamobile - I think this is new, in that before I don't think you could use their SIMs for this offer. Now you definitely can, as I'ved just done that :)

When you receive the new SIM, you don't need to top it up, you only need to receive a text later. You would pop it in your current phone, go and get the offer, and port that new number to VF. As said above, the reason it needs to be contactable at the time is to get a code so that VF know it's you.

You would then just forget about that new number, and never use the VF SIM when it arrives. As the phone is unlocked, you would be able to use your current SIM in it - if it was locked to the seller's network (as most are) you'd have to pay to get it unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

nephster wrote: »
    As new people are coming to this thread without reading the previous posts - understandable considering it is now at 130 pages! - here's what I wrote last year, slightly updated:

To get the special offer price you need to move (port) a current number to Vodafone, so that VF think they are getting your business. You can pick a PAYG tariff, but you'll never be using it with that SIM and hence won't be charged. First, you want to get a new non-Voda SIM and number for free, in order to move *that* number to VF, rather than your current one you want to keep. You need that first as providers need to text a code to the porting number to make sure it is yours, and that's what gets you the €100 off.

You should be able to get Eir to send you a new PAYG SIM for free (https://www.eir.ie/mobile/prepay/free-sim-cards/). Another option is Lycamobile - I think this is new, in that before I don't think you could use their SIMs for this offer. Now you definitely can, as I'ved just done that :)

When you receive the new SIM, you don't need to top it up, you only need to receive a text later. You would pop it in your current phone, go and get the offer, and port that new number to VF. As said above, the reason it needs to be contactable at the time is to get a code so that VF know it's you.

You would then just forget about that new number, and never use the VF SIM when it arrives. As the phone is unlocked, you would be able to use your current SIM in it - if it was locked to the seller's network (as most are) you'd have to pay to get it unlocked.

Good to see lyca being included now

Good to see lyca being included now

Their terms below say Lyca is excluded, so YMMV.
    €100 off selected handsets when you switch to Vodafone PAYG August 2020

These terms and conditions apply to the promotional offer of €100 off the Apple iPhone 7, Huawei P30 Lite, Google Pixel 3A or TCL 10 where a customer switches their number to Vodafone Pay as You Go from another network (the “Offer”).

These terms will apply in addition to the General Terms and Conditions under which you enjoy access to Vodafone's Mobile Telecommunications Services (found here: https://n.vodafone.ie/terms/pay-as-you-go.html) and any applicable service specific terms. These terms form part of your agreement with us. By availing of this Offer, you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions:

New customers porting their mobile number to Vodafone Pay as You Go from another network provider (excluding Lyca Mobile) between 1st August 2020 and 31st August 2020 will receive the option of €100 off either the Apple iPhone 7, Huawei P30 Lite, Google Pixel 3A or the TCL 10, while stocks last.
    Eligibility is determined by Vodafone in accordance with these terms and conditions.
    The Offer is available in Vodafone retail, franchise stores and online via vodafone.ie
    Pricing is subject to change and the Offer is strictly subject to availability.
    This Offer excludes existing Vodafone customers moving from any other Vodafone plan to Vodafone Pay as You Go.
    This Offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other Vodafone offer or promotion.
    Vodafone reserves the right to extend or withdraw the Offer at any time and/or to vary or amend any element of the Offer at any time without further notice.
    Vodafone further reserves the right to vary or amend these terms and conditions for valid commercial, technical or operational reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

I presume you need an unlocked phone to receive the verification code text from eir?

• Advertisement

G rock wrote: »
    I presume you need an unlocked phone to receive the verification code text from eir?

Yes, it needs to be in a phone to receive the text.

Pixel 4a rumored to be 349 being announced tomorrow. Vodafone always under under cut by 50 so could be 299. If they do same port deal then it could be 199.If its that price then would be bargain of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Del007

Doubt they would have that much off a new release, it would be unreal if they did

Del007 wrote: »
    Doubt they would have that much off a new release, it would be unreal if they did

The 3a deal started back in November. So can see it happening in few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd be perfectly happy with the 3a at 129.

They say the 4a might be priced to just undercut the iPhone SE2 and One+ More.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

The only downside of Pixel 3A(4A as well) is lack of memory card support(in any case 58GB that is left goes quickly to zero) and esim support instead of normal sim card.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

Ordered using my current number - didn’t wait for the new Eir SIM card.. Hopefully it won’t be too much effort to port back to Eir 10e pm when the phone arrives..

I selected port date in two weeks time - might even ask Vodafone to port a new Sim number before then so I can continue to use my existing number

emclau wrote: »
    Ordered using my current number - didn’t wait for the new Eir SIM card.. Hopefully it won’t be too much effort to port back to Eir 10e pm when the phone arrives..

I selected port date in two weeks time - might even ask Vodafone to port a new Sim number before then so I can continue to use my existing number

If you're extra cheeky, you can do what I did with one of the Pixels I ordered, and cancel the port before it happens, telling them you've decided you're going to return the phone. It's a bit risky though, because the customer service staff are useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I remember when I got mine I used an eir sim to switch but they never actually sent the vodafone sim out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Damn bargain alerts !!

Just ordered the phone and of course I don't need it.

I'll have fun flashing Graphene OS onto it and having a play around

Advertisement