Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on my Plan

Options
  • 29-07-2020 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Mods, I dont know if this is the right place.

I just bought a new build house and the dividing wall between the living room and the hall looks like this.

521419.png

I would like to get the Plug sockets TV and data ports moved to look something like this.

521420.png

The Goal is to have all Cables hidden so I can gave something like this

521421.png

My Question is would an Electrician be able to move Plug and TV/Data sockets and what would something like this cost to move?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

What is the wall made of? Is it a partition wall? What is above the wall, attic space or another room? What direction do the cables come from i.e. are the cables long enough to reach the new locations? Will the heat from the fire be an issue for the TV? Can the original points be left there and new ones added?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

2011 wrote: »
    What is the wall made of? Is it a partition wall? What is above the wall, attic space or another room? What direction do the cables come from i.e. are the cables long enough to reach the new locations? Will the heat from the fire be an issue for the TV? Can the original points be left there and new ones added?
    What is the wall made of?

Plasterboard with wooden studs behind it
    Is it a partition wall?

Yes, It divides the living room with the hallway
    What direction do the cables come from i.e. are the cables long enough to reach the new locations?

TV and Data box currently about 400mm from the window at the front of the house . I have not idea the length of the cables behind the wall.
    Will the heat from the fire be an issue for the TV?

I don think so, There is 380mm from the wall to the front of the cabinet ( Width)

Can the original points be left there and new ones added?

I would prefer not to but im open to this idea.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Plasterboard with wooden studs behind it

Thy helps.
    I have not idea the length of the cables behind the wall.

Try to work this out based on the direction they come from.
    I would prefer not to but im open to this idea.

It would be a good place to joint cables if required. If these are gone it will mean that the holes they leave will have to be dealt with. Do you have a plan for Delong with this? Get it plastered?

What is above the stud wall, attic space ??

Thy helps.

Try to work this out based on the direction they come from.

It would be a good place to joint cables if required. If these are gone it will mean that the holes they leave will have to be dealt with. Do you have a plan for Delong with this? Get it plastered?

What is above the stud wall, attic space ??

I know at the side of the house beside the side gate has a cable box by the looks of it.

Above is the second floor.

We will get all holes plastered when everything is moved .

I wont be doing the work myself. I would be looking for a professional in Kildare to do the work of moving the sockets and cables .I also need like a pipe in the wall so cables like HDMI and Cat 5 cables can be connected from the Receivers below to to the TV.

I am also planning of using Smart plug sockets but im looking at the reviews at the moment .

I bought 1 so far that I plan to hook up and test before I commit to replacing the rest.

521433.png

I know at the side of the house beside the side gate has a cable box by the looks of it.

So it is a coaxial cable for the TV ? Is so there is no issue joining this and hiding in the wall.
    Above is the second floor.

If the floorboards can be lifted above the stud all it will most likely be simple enough.
    We will get all holes plastered when everything is moved

Grand.
    I also need like a pipe in the wall so cables like HDMI and Cat 5 cables can be connected from the Receivers below to to the TV.

Stud wall so no conduit required. CAT6 would be better.
    I am also planning of using Smart plug sockets but im looking at the reviews at the moment .

Smart socket would be neater.

Estimate 1 days work so €400 to €500 + materials.
    Ensure the HDMI is suitable for 4K. You will get a good one on Amazon. Don’t buy in PC World / Harvey Norman as the will fleece you.

• Advertisement

So it is a coaxial cable for the TV ? Is so there is no issue joining this and hiding in the wall.

If the floorboards can be lifted above the stud all it will most likely be simple enough.

Grand.

Stud wall so no conduit required. CAT6 would be better.

Smart socket would be neater.

Estimate 1 days work so €400 to €500 + materials.
    Ensure the HDMI is suitable for 4K. You will get a good one on Amazon. Don’t buy in PC World / Harvey Norman as the will fleece you.

I will look for someone to call out and have a look and pay them for their time.

Let me know if you can recommend someone.

They are still building Phase 3 of the new estate so maybe I can also ask the foreman if someone can do the job and I pay them.

These are cool,
    stops the plugtop fouling the TV bracket.

syncbox-fully-recessed-tv-power-socket-11041-1-large.jpg

But at 75e your sparks could come up with a creative solution.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Syncbox-Direct-Recessed-covered-solution-WHITE/dp/B012DRCGFE

Advertisement