Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange rock

• 18-10-2019 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

Hiya guys

Found this unusual rock a few miles up a mountain. It should out because it was sitting beside an old drain that might have been dug a few decades ago.

There are a few very small bits of quartz, or what looks like quartz, in it.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

It's a piece of limestone. If limestone is not the native bedrock, then it may have been introduced as fill for the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

slowburner wrote: »
    It's a piece of limestone. If limestone is not the native bedrock, then it may have been introduced as fill for the drain.

No limestone in the area, I doubt it would have been added as there are some streams running close by and you could get plenty of stone out of the river.

I just thought it was odd looking because off the numerous 'pointy' bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

Heres a rock I found in wicklow . Out part shows a square with what looks like a rusty square . There are more rust squares through the rock when it was broken open.
    Any ideas how the are formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

another photo

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Feets

I don't know about the wicklow rock, but your camera quality is unreal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement