Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Widespread Snow Showers Thurs 12th/Fri 13th Jan 2017

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

Nice windchill and snow on Carrauntoohill over next few days.

http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Carrauntoohil/forecasts/1038

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Silly posts removed. And...responses to silly posts also removed!

While some of us may be lucky enough to get some light snow in the next couple of days, note that snow (...inevitably...) leads to heavy moderation!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Met eireann weather warning

Snow-ice Warning for Connacht, Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal
    Weather Advisory
    Very cold wintry weather will develop from Wednesday night onwards.
    Showers will turn wintry in many places, from Wednesday evening to Saturday, with falls of sleet and snow expected. The heaviest of the snow fall is most likely over Ulster, Connacht, north Leinster and west Munster and especially so on high ground.
    Valid 11/1800 to 14/1200 Saturday.

Issued:Tuesday 10 January 2017 12:00
    Valid:Wednesday 11 January 2017 18:00 to Saturday 14 January 2017 12:00

Not sure which counties in Munster are most at risk!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Not sure which counties in Munster are most at risk!

I'd say from North Clare across to the east Clare hills will get a pasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Lads Im in killarney from wednesday to Friday then travelling back to Dublin. Anyone have a fair idea on possible disruption in travelling down and back and in Killarney itself? Will Kerry get any snow or is it too far south? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

torres9kop wrote: »
    Lads Im in killarney from wednesday to Friday then travelling back to Dublin. Anyone have a fair idea on possible disruption in travelling down and back and in Killarney itself? Will Kerry get any snow or is it too far south? Thanks

Main routes should be fine.

I'd say from North Clare across to the east Clare hills will get a pasting.

We usually do well in cork from a nw direction in getting precipitation unless of course it's modified and just rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    Met eireann weather warning
    Well Wicklow Co Co are running with it anyway - just got the text alert... Maybe playing it down in my head, but not expecting much from a north westerly, even at this level tbh. I await to be corrected by artic tree though! :)

http://m.met.ie/weather-warnings.aspx?t=National

Warning updated now to a weather advisory for Ireland. No counties mentioned specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

I'll meet you for coffee in the airport! I'm flying to Tenerife at 12.

My flight is later at 16.40. Hopefully you're well on your way by the time I get there! :-) I'm so conflicted in my emotions about this weather!! If I can't fly on Thursday, there better be enough snow in my back garden for a massive snowman!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

We seem to be good to go for Thursday snow almost nationwide now
    UK met office are putting the wave more south

Breathe in
    Breathe out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for Ireland
    Very cold wintry weather will develop from Wednesday night onwards.
    Showers will turn wintry in many places, from Wednesday evening to Saturday, with falls of sleet and snow expected. The heaviest of the snow fall is most likely over Ulster, Connacht, north Leinster and west Munster and especially so on high ground.
    Issued:Tuesday 10 January 2017 15:00
    Valid:Wednesday 11 January 2017 18:03 to Saturday 14 January 2017 12:00

Updated weather advisory from Met Eireann.

ArKl0w wrote: »
    We seem to be good to go for Thursday snow almost nationwide now
    UK met office are putting the wave more south

Breathe in
    Breathe out

Excellent.thought we were doomed before it began down here.

My flight is later at 16.40. Hopefully you're well on your way by the time I get there! :-) I'm so conflicted in my emotions about this weather!! If I can't fly on Thursday, there better be enough snow in my back garden for a massive snowman!

It's very very unlikely in my opinion that snow will delay flights from Dublin
    Belfast Derry or Knock maybe

No way any accumulations will delay flights significantly. Few cm's at max.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

ArKl0w wrote:
    It's very very unlikely in my opinion that snow will delay flights from Dublin Belfast Derry or Knock maybe

Unfortunately for me, Belfast had the cheapest flights so went with it. Oh well. What happens happens!

Was leaving Belfast earlier today and there was a snowplough behind me on the road. Obviously getting everything into position!

Following this thread with interest :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

We usually do well in cork from a nw direction in getting precipitation unless of course it's modified and just rain.

From around West Limerick right across part's of North Kerry on into Mitchellstown in Cork should get some snow too.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Low Pressure system further south on this run. Possible snow event east coast friday. High Pressure building in the North East may push this low further south on each run.
    14mxjld.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

GFS still looking pretty (of course this doesn't tell us how much settles...)

17011212_1012.gif

The higher resolution hirlam shows it as rain 7 snow initially but increasingly turning to snow...

hirlamuk-1-44-0.png?10-17

and

hirlamuk-1-48-0.png?10-17

In fact the 12z gfs is an upgrade for the coming days but a downgrade for easterly prospects next week....

GFS still looking pretty (of course this doesn't tell us how much settles...)

17011212_1012.gif

The higher resolution hirlam shows it as rain 7 snow initially but increasingly turning to snow...

hirlamuk-1-44-0.png?10-17

and

hirlamuk-1-48-0.png?10-17

In fact the 12z gfs is an upgrade for the coming days but a downgrade for easterly prospects next week....

I presume the uppers aren't cold enough at first to support snow and will slowly drift south.

• Advertisement

Everything is pointing for snow here in West Clare, if we don't get any im going to be mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Heading up to the Dublin mountains soon, does anybody know how if there is snow up there or is it all clear ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Heading up to the Dublin mountains soon, does anybody know how if there is snow up there or is it all clear ?

I doubt there is any,hopefully that will change soon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Billcarson wrote: »
    I doubt there is any,hopefully that will change soon though.

Thank you , I'm going up around 150-200 asl what temp would it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Not a scratch of snow up the Dublin mountains (for now :D).
    Not sure about the temp but the wind chill is coooooold, I'm just in from it.

I'm at 200m asl in north Wicklow and no snow. Hopeful for next few days.

Thank you , I'm going up around 150-200 asl what temp would it be?

About 8 or 9 Celsius

Depends how soon soon is.

Too warm for there to be any snow at the moment, temps will support snow there from later tomorrow but I don't think there's much percipation around.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Latest Euro4 update has snow falling at end of 48hr time frame, accumulations higher terrain and Northwest at that stage.
    17011209_1012.gif
    17011212_1012.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Latest upgrade from the HILAM is showing two little closed lows approaching Donegal and the other over Kerry and Cork. These will bring increased participation of Snow.

hirlamuk-2-48-0.png?10-17

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement