Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Olympic Council fella Pat Hickey Arrested in Rio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

When I first read the headline about Pat Hickey I thought Waterford Whispers were having some fun :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,267 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

2 likely scenarios

It's all true (this being Ireland, most likely is (tickets, touts etc...)

or it's all an elaborate cold war ploy by the Russians to deflect away from their 1. state sponsored doping & 2. where the doping can't have any effect, their buying off of judges across all the various sports.

Maybe a little from from column A?, and maybe a little from column B?

no

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

smash wrote: »
    And what about the article itself?

Guy arrested!!! For what? Backstory? theory? Anything....

It would have taken you less time to click the link than to type out the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

What is it about bosses of sporting organisations? So many of them are dodgy, mediocre middle-aged/elderly men with a massive excess of confidence and little else. Absolutely delighted to hear this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

... this man promptly esacped from Barazilian custody to the Rio De Jeinero underground. Today, still wanted by the government, he survives as a soldier of fortune. If you need tickets, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire...

FYP :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

emo72 wrote: »
    I think the Olympics has taken a terrible knocking for us. I have no interest in it anymore. Even poor Annalise, we should be celebrating her today. Corrupt bastids ruining it for everyone.

Indeed. The circus that has surrounded Ireland at the Olympics is overshadowing all the good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

stimpson wrote: »
    I bet he's a bit more humble when he rings the consulate looking for assistance!

And didn't he refuse the ambassador accreditation to the Games because the president or Taoiseach were not attending?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

no tribunals in Brazil only hard time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

mzungu wrote: »
    Indeed. The circus that has surrounded Ireland at the Olympics is overshadowing all the good things.

You mean like Team GB?
    ...who really have been the feel good team of this games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

it just goes to show i've buried my head int he sand because i love the Olympics but it is like Michael Conlon said last night,

rotten from the core.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Floppybits wrote: »
    Ross must be wetting himself laughing.

I don't know, its a ****ing embarrassing situation for him to be in

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Alive1

Delighted.
    His little tie up with Marcus Evans (multi-millionaire ticket scalper) and Pro 10 is falling apart at the seams.
    Hope the crook is held in custody.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

LordSutch wrote: »
    You medan like Team GB?

Well, more the two lads from Cork and Annalise Murphy. While we should be basking in their achievements, this greedy Hickey chap seems to be hogging it all. Although, something tells me he won't be enjoying the attention that comes from this.

Laughing is not quiet the word I would use....:pac:

Maybe NSFW that

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

stimpson wrote: »
    I bet he's a bit more humble when he rings the consulate looking for assistance!

I hope Ross has told them to take their time going to visit him.

Me thinks someone has rolled over rather than spend time in Brazilian jail.

The biggest laugh is that a totally corrupt country are now exposing corruption in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

mzungu wrote:
    Well, more the two lads from Cork and Annalise Murphy. While we should be basking in their achievements, this greedy Hickey chap seems to be hogging it all. Although, something tells me he won't be enjoying the attention that comes from this.

Yeah we should be focusing on our athletes and Brazilian authorities should be focusing on body parts washing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

smash wrote: »
    And what about the article itself?

Guy arrested!!! For what? Backstory? theory? Anything....

Could you not just go to Google/Twitter.

When I saw thread title of Pat Hickey arrested, I knew it wasn't for a speeding fine or TV Licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

I hope he rots in jail!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭Floppybits

nelly17 wrote: »
    Ross must be wetting himself laughing.

I don't know, its a ****ing embarrassing situation for him to be in

It's embarrassing for the Country to be caught up in it, Yes. But there is nothing that Ross could have done to prevent it. He went over there met with Hickey and was promptly told to F*** off by Hickey. Now Hickey has been arrested and will be pleading for Consular assistance now for help.

Remember Hickey has been President of the Irish Olympic committee since 1989. I would be asking for how long this touting has been going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

kfallon wrote: »
    It would have taken you less time to click the link than to type out the above.

I did click it. There was no I for regarding the reason behind the arrest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

You mean like Team GB?

I have a feeling most people in Ireland really don't give a fiddlers either way how well the british team are doing.It's not really anything that we should feel good about.

Thank God Shane Ross went out there, otherwise this little swindle might never have been uncovered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

murpho999 wrote: »
    Could you not just go to Google/Twitter.

When I saw thread title of Pat Hickey arrested, I knew it wasn't for a speeding fine or TV Licence.

Good for you. I'm not the only person to not know who he is or what's been going on with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Hopefully he's compltely abandoned by the Irish consulate and left to look after himself entirely.

If we had any balls that's exactly what would happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I wonder is he innocent until proven guilty ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Remember Hickey has been President of the Irish Olympic committee since 1989.

This fact alone is why the Irish Olympic "family" should be ashamed. The guy is like Sepp Blatter, a little Buddha, second rate demi god looking after those he needs to keep onside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

This is more great news for Lord Ross as he can extend his Olympic Holidays for as long as he likes, better for everyone if they took him away too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,014 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You mean like Team GB?

Interesting idea. We have them claiming certian Irish medalists are "British" when it suits them, maye be can refer to hickey as "British" now as well?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

This is more great news for Lord Ross as he can extend his Olympic Holidays for as long as he likes, better for everyone if they took him away too.

This is what i was thinking . Ross best get out of that country ASAP

• Advertisement

I have a feeling most people in Ireland really don't give a fiddlers either way how well the british team are doing. It's not really anything that we should feel good about.

Oh :(

Well I don't care what you say, I enjoyed future husband & wife 'Trott & Kenny' kissing and cuddling after their fantastic wins in the Velodrome last night. I felt good about it, so there....

Advertisement