Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Finished my Springboard course in May, I done the Level 7 in Cyber Security + Digital Forensics in Blanchardstown. As far as I know, the fee's were 3750, but with springboard the total came to 400 euro for me.

It was part time, 3 days a week on site, 6-10PM. Luckily, I work very close to the campus so I was blessed with having a short trip.

The workload was a lot in the majority of the subjects, and that was agreed with all in the class, not just me :pac:

The college itself was extremely unorganised with allocation of lecturers for subjects, etc. I wont get into the ins and outs, but it left a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths, and put us under even more pressure with certain subjects starting late, and trying to fit in even more deadlines in a shorter amount of time.

The course content itself was brilliant, and the lecturers for the most part were extremely knowledgeable in the field (as youd expect).

Best of luck to everyone starting this year, its a brilliant idea!

Digital forensics....where do you go now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Finished my Springboard course in May, I done the Level 7 in Cyber Security + Digital Forensics in Blanchardstown. As far as I know, the fee's were 3750, but with springboard the total came to 400 euro for me.

It was part time, 3 days a week on site, 6-10PM. Luckily, I work very close to the campus so I was blessed with having a short trip.

The workload was a lot in the majority of the subjects, and that was agreed with all in the class, not just me :pac:

The college itself was extremely unorganised with allocation of lecturers for subjects, etc. I wont get into the ins and outs, but it left a sour taste in a lot of peoples mouths, and put us under even more pressure with certain subjects starting late, and trying to fit in even more deadlines in a shorter amount of time.

The course content itself was brilliant, and the lecturers for the most part were extremely knowledgeable in the field (as youd expect).

Best of luck to everyone starting this year, its a brilliant idea!

I know from working with people who have completed the above course that it's very good at all levels (Level 7 through to 9) and respected within industry. My initial communications via Springboard echo what you have stated above though. Particularly when I compare it to DCU's webinar the other evening who seem to have all their ducks in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭tritium

Does anyone know how long colleges usually take to come back with online aptitude test results? I have an offer with a deadline on one course but did an aptitude test on another that I’d probably have as my first choice. Don’t want to lose out on both either though

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

tritium wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long colleges usually take to come back with online aptitude test results? I have an offer with a deadline on one course but did an aptitude test on another that I’d probably have as my first choice. Don’t want to lose out on both either though

I was in a similar boat, the turn around on the aptitude test was 3 working days. You could try contacting the institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

Applied to the Master Black Belt in CIT last week. Fingers crossed i get accepted. Talking to the course leader he was saying its over subscribed from a springboard point of view. Waiting game now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Gadge

Hi guys, bit of a question for you.

I applied for four courses, got offered a place in three, with one still pending an RPL review. If any of you have done the following or have anything good or bad to say please feel free to comment. All courses are part time as I'm full time employed, I already have a L7 in electronics.

HDip in Science in Computing (TU Dublin Blanch)
    BSc in Computing in Data Centre Management (LYIT)
    HDip in Computing 2 year conversion (LYIT)
    HDip in Computer Science (WIT) (pending)

The one I'm leaning towards is the first in TUD, all online with one Saturday per month on site, and the material looks good. Dublin is closest as I'm living in North Tipperary.

Any info or insights into the subjects and / or the colleges would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Garret.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I was declined the HDip in Science in Computing in TU as I don't have 180 ECTS - disappointed as it's the one I was hoping to get, but, at least I have a fallback in DBS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Are offers for courses being made prior to the deadline for applications closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Kamu

Are offers for courses being made prior to the deadline for applications closing?

A few people (myself included) have been accepted and have accepted courses through Springboard already.

Kamu wrote: »
    A few people (myself included) have been accepted and have accepted courses through Springboard already.

I have seen that but I am just wondering has the deadline for those particular courses closed for applications, each college has different closing dates so I'm wondering do they only offer places once this closing date has passed or have some people been offered places even though the course if still open to new people to apply.

• Advertisement

I have seen that but I am just wondering has the deadline for those particular courses closed for applications, each college has different closing dates so I'm wondering do they only offer places once this closing date has passed or have some people been offered places even though the course if still open to new people to apply.

I've been given a provisional place on a course which people can still apply for. There's no point in them closing the application process as they may not fill all the available places of people do not accept their position on the course.

py wrote: »
    I've been given a provisional place on a course which people can still apply for. There's no point in them closing the application process as they may not fill all the available places of people do not accept their position on the course.

I thought that alright but just wanted to be certain

I'd love to know how their funding works as it would make it much clearer on how the places are allocated. Is it based on number of graduates from the course or just the number of people who accept?

I'd love to know how their funding works as it would make it much clearer on how the places are allocated. Is it based on number of graduates from the course or just the number of people who accept?

It has to be the number of people you register as the college will need to get paid regardless of whether you pass or not

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sabinaspb

Hi, just out of interest, anyone got any word back on their applications to DCU?

sabinaspb wrote: »
    Hi, just out of interest, anyone got any word back on their applications to DCU?

Nadda. They said they're oversubscribed with applicants for their courses so they need to decide who they think will be best suited to attending now. In the webinar last week, one person said people would be notified by end of July whilst another said end of August. The status of my application has had several people download it over the past 2 weeks so dunno if that's a good/bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭go4it

each school applies springboard rules when selecting students ; after the springboard rules boxes have been ticked , they apply their own rules ( ie. how do you evaluate 2 candidates, both working and looking for free education? based on past exam results from 10+years ago, based on how far off are from the field of studies? or you apply the springboard ethos?( re-skill first and then upgrade ? )
    Then again, no school wants bad rep from high student fail rate at exams, etc

I got accepted to the Certificate in Computer Programming in DCU on Friday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

I applied for a few courses 2 weeks. How long usually till you're offered a spot if you get offered?

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Kamu

I applied for a few courses 2 weeks. How long usually till you're offered a spot if you get offered?

Each school is different, but it took from me applying to them accepting 2 weeks, and I accepted the week after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Incidentally if anyone is doing the Higher Diploma in Interaction Design (HDID) in DCU and wants to buddy up on a group project please feel free to slide into my PMs.

I had applied to UL and LYIT a couple of weeks ago and had heard nothing since. Got an email from both colleges this evening looking for supporting documents

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

I've been accepted onto the certificate in culinary skills in AIT... I'm delighted. Worked in IT for years so this will be a big change for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mystery666

Nadda. They said they're oversubscribed with applicants for their courses so they need to decide who they think will be best suited to attending now. In the webinar last week, one person said people would be notified by end of July whilst another said end of August. The status of my application has had several people download it over the past 2 weeks so dunno if that's a good/bad thing.

How can you see if someone has downloaded your application? I don't see this at all

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mystery666

Is there a way to give priority to one application over the other, as there is definitely one application I want over the other one.

Mystery666 wrote: »
    How can you see if someone has downloaded your application? I don't see this at all
    This is it wrote: »
    Log in to the website and click the hamburger button on the right, see attached.
    From earlier in the thread - go to 'My Applications' then click the last icon to the right. Application Status should change to 'Pending' too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

AryaStark wrote: »
    I've been accepted onto the certificate in culinary skills in AIT... I'm delighted. Worked in IT for years so this will be a big change for me.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

Mystery666 wrote: »
    Is there a way to give priority to one application over the other, as there is definitely one application I want over the other one.

No, unfortunately not. Some put a pretty short time limit to accept also so you could be waiting on your first pick while the timer ticks down on your second. Accept the second and it immediately cancels the first, choose to wait and you could miss both :/

sabinaspb wrote: »

Actually, I'd be interested to know if anyone has heard back on the postgrad courses in DCU? From those who have posted, it seems they are all undergrad thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Irishder wrote:
    Applied to the Master Black Belt in CIT last week. Fingers crossed i get accepted. Talking to the course leader he was saying its over subscribed from a springboard point of view. Waiting game now.

Did you have Black belt already?

Advertisement