Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Movies

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

How we all feeling about this list?

im gonna say it. I don’t like it’s a wonderful life or the nightmare before Christmas they just don’t do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭brokenbad

My top 5 Xmas movies that i watch every year without fail.....

1. Die Hard
    2. National Lampoon's Xmas Vacation
    3. Elf
    4. James Bond - On her Majesty's Secret Service
    5. Home Alone

Top 5 TV Shows/ Series

1. The Office (UK) Xmas Special
    2. Only Fools and Horses - Jolly Boys Outing
    3. Father Ted
    4. Mr. Bean
    5. Top Gear - Specials with Clarkson & Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

James Bond is a new one on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just too grim for me. Doesn’t feel that Christmassy to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

My top 3:

• It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
    • National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)
    • A Christmas Carol (1984)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

It's a wonderful life and Christmas vacation are musts for me at Christmas. Its a wonderful life we'll watch on Christmas eve.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I find Its a wonderful life depressing but I'm obviously in a minority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I've attempted to watch it's a wonderful life about 5 times. Have never got through it.

I've easily watched it over a dozen times now, for me its the quintessential classic Christmas film. Though to be fair I can see why it may not be everyone's cup of tea too. At the end of the day we're all different & have different likes & dislikes, be boring if it was any other way.

But I'll be watching it again Sunday night, will settle in with a whiskey & some crisps, sit back & enjoy some pure Christmas bliss!

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I always laugh at the part where Jimmy Stewart is playing the worlds oldest high school student. 😂

The thing that annoys me about It's a Wonderful Life is that the horrible auld lad doesn't get his comeuppance for robbing the cash. That always pissed me off at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I was watching it today always liked the film have watch it every year, but one scene makes me uncomfortable it's the scene when he is a young lad working in the chemist the old man continually slaps him round the head untill his ears bleed because he didn't make a delivery, he didn't make the delivery because the old man put poison in the bottle by mistake.

• Advertisement

It’s either elf or home alone. But hard to pick between those two

Thats the very scene that I dislike too.

On the blueray I have it has a warning re attitudes and behaviours of a time and not representative of modern standards, or something similar ( i skip it so cant remember exactly 😆)

I watched the Family Switch last night on Netflix so ye don’t have to.

Don’t watch it. Acting is up there with leaving cert musical standards, plot is as obvious as it comes and not overly Christmassy.

however it does have a great cover of Santa Claus is coming to town. The last third of the film actually is better than the rest. But my verdict is skip it and watch the classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

National lampoons christmas vacation is by far the best christmas movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Christmas with the Kranks is an underrated film, it seems to be trendy for people to hate on it for fickle reasons.

Home Alone and Lost in New York. People hate on the sequel because "it's just a rehash of the first". Why is a rehash of a great movie a bad thing? Then when John Hughes changed things up for Home Alone 3 the public hated it even more. I take no notice of Rotten Tomatoes ratings of films.

Jack Frost from 1998 is a film I grew up watching.

Christmas Vacation is good but there isn't much nostalgia for it with me as I only discovered it 2 years ago.

I'm not interested in The Grinch or Elf, I dislike Jim Carey and Will Ferrell.

I like 'Surviving Christmas' which isn't well known.

Another good winter film I found recently was 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles.'

I watched 'It's a wonderful life' which is ok but isn't the sort of thing I would rewatch every year. I recently purchased a signed photo from one of the child actors from that as she has an online store selling Christmas ornaments, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭A cup of te

Edit - might not be considered 'films' but anyway.

i watched The Snowman and The Snowman and The Snowdog on both Christmas Eve and Day this year! I actually saw the Snowdog twice on Christmas Day. I could watch both over and over. My favourite Christmas films ever though the latter makes me very sad for my late doggie who I lost in 2021. Besides the beautiful imagery (and David Bowie), I just love the music. I listened to The Snowman soundtrack yesterday and realised that I know the scenes in the film just by the music. It conveys what's happening so well. An amazing piece of work all round.

Ah stop I watched both this year with my little boy and I sobbed at the ending of both. Seeing Christmas through the eyes of my little boy this year the theme of loss and grief had me turned into a mess.

I love love love the animation in both I love how the snow dog kept to the traditional animation.

Both fantastic. Would recommend watching Father Christmas as well. Same author, although there's speaking in this one.

• Advertisement

I always laugh when asks for chips and ketchup when he's in France!

Advertisement