Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yoga for Men Over 40's

Options
  • 30-09-2014 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi

I am thinking of taking up Yoga as the gym does not interest me. I am living on the Northside of Dublin so looking for a beginners class to try to get some level of fitness. Not a fitness freak and do cycle the odd time to work

Can anyone recommend anywhere central or on Dublin Northside for a beginner. Somewhere where I can run through my level of fitness before I start

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonzo_k

What sort of yoga class are you looking for ? Lots of different types.

If you just want to improve your level of fitness I would recommend Ashtanga yoga, there is a class on in Raheny, the website is http://theyogalounge.ie/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

Dear 5Lamps,
    It is worth considering exactly what you are looking for before you choose a yoga class.

There is an interesting article about some of the different types of yoga, that may help you become
    aware of the range of aspects there are available through different types of yoga.

The article an be seen at
    http://www.burrenyoga.com/different-types-of-yoga/

Having practised for well over 30 years, I would highly recommend a form of yoga that encompasses some form of meditation... or at least awareness and breath work that will help prepare your mind for meditation. So you could ask the teacher whether they practice meditation..... or teach any preparation for it.... breath work... awareness during the class.... possibly Yoga Nidra deep relaxation which is an excellent preparation.

You can still get fitness and physical and health benefits from yoga that also prepares your mind for the real gems of this ancient body of knowledge and practices.....

Reading the above article may gives you ideas of what you may be looking for.... or also what you may not be looking for, and this can help you before you chat to any yoga teachers about what their classes are like.

Many of the yoga teachers in Northside Dublin are listed at
    http://www.burrenyoga.com/yoga-ireland/local-yoga-classes/dublin-yoga-classes/

Best Wishes,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 14 5lamps

Thanks for the replies

Having read the article I thinks Hatha Yoga is the one to try first. I may try the one class and see what it is like. Anyone have any experience of this?

Will read more up on it myself

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭purethick

5lamps wrote: »
    I thinks Hatha Yoga is the one to try first. I may try the one class and see what it is like. Anyone have any experience of this?
    Don't judge it on just one class (or just one teacher either)! You'll need to do several classes as it takes a while to get into it if you never done it before.
    Also try and get a recommendation for a teacher rather than finding one at random.

Thanks

So can anyone recommend a teacher on The Northside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I am O.40 and male and have been going to classes in the Baldoyle Forum for several years and can recommend the teacher, Patty Anderson. The classes have just restarted on Mondays for beginners and Wednesdays for more advanced. Patty is also on burrenyoga's list. I do a lot of running, swimming and cycling so use it to help counter balance all that and work on my core. If you were to rely solely on Yoga for fitness then you'd need to do several classes per week and/or be diligent with home practice but I'd recommend getting it right in classes before trying it at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

Samadhi yoga centre is not Northside but rather city centre in Temple Bar. Greg who runs the studio is very dedicated and only picks very good yoga teachers to teach there.

http://www.samadhi.ie/yoga-dublin/dublin-yoga.html

purethick makes a very good point...... very often it can take a number of weeks practicing before one begins to notice the more subtle benefits.... so even if you don't enjoy the 1st class (or teacher) you try, please do not be put off.

And another factor is the quality of the yoga teacher and how you 'experience' them. If you personally find the teacher inspirational... you will be much more likely to begin that 10 to 15 minutes practice yourself at home.

The 1st class I tried back in the 80's I was bored completely..... but luckily for me, something drew me to try another class a couple of months later... and the minute I walked into the room.... i could sense/feel the energies..... and knew that it was going to be for me... even before the class started.

And after a number of years practicing you will realize that it is the daily practice on your own mat and/or cushion each day... that really is 'the practice' rather than attending a yoga class.

But everybody needs to go to an experienced yoga teacher first, in order to learn the practices correctly.

Best Wishes,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Jessi_Evans

I would like to get yoga classes too

Doeshedare wrote: »
    I am O.40 and male and have been going to classes in the Baldoyle Forum for several years and can recommend the teacher, Patty Anderson. The classes have just restarted on Mondays for beginners and Wednesdays for more advanced. Patty is also on burrenyoga's list. I do a lot of running, swimming and cycling so use it to help counter balance all that and work on my core. If you were to rely solely on Yoga for fitness then you'd need to do several classes per week and/or be diligent with home practice but I'd recommend getting it right in classes before trying it at home.

Emailed them and the class has already started but thanks.

Emailed the Yoga Lounge in raheny so waiting for a reply from them.

Anyone done classes in the Yoga Lounge in Raheny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonzo_k

I have taken a few classes there.

Suzanne is a great teacher. She teaches a version of the Ashtanga primary series modified for beginners to intermediate practitioners. The format is Sun Salutes, some standing postures, some seated postures, some inversions with relaxation at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭MaeveD

You could try Balance Yoga in Drumcondra, Dublin 9 www.balanceireland.com. They are on the 1st floor of the ABCD building between Drumcondra train station and Quinns pub (It used to be St Joseph's school for the deaf)

They have Beginners classes on Mondays at 6.30pm with Marie, there's also a Beginner's class on Thursdays at 9.30am with Ray. After a few weeks you can move on to the other classes. A drop in is only 14 euro and they have an 8 class pass for 80 euro!

There's a really good coffee shop called and free parking!

Advertisement