Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-01-2019, 16:42   #16
francois

I was 16 when it hit-we got 2 weeks extra off school, just before we were due to go back-As the above poster mentioned, I remember sledding, though even in Kilmacud, where we were, some of the snow was nearly 2 feet deep.
Basic supplies also ran out, though there was no panic buying of milk and bread like there was last Feb/March, people just made do and enjoyed the break.
A few friends of mine were actually hostelling in Wicklow at the time, and were stuck, relying on a helicopter to drop supplies to the youth hostel they were in.
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 19:17   #17
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
I was only 9 when the blizzard of 1982 hit. I remember going to bed getting ready for school, next morning woke up, opened the door and snow fell into the hallway!

My memory is vague to how long it actually snowed for but I remember walking with my mum to the shops which was in a westerly direction and the walk wasn't so bad, but on the way back was in an easterly direction and the pain from snow and ice hitting my face in high winds was something else, probably the only moment in my life where I wasn't enjoying snow!.

Once the skies cleared the depth of the snow was unreal, I remember walking on ice packed snow drifts with cars underneath which were standed and abandoned on our country laneway. I think I was off school for about 2 weeks. Last year's Storm Emma was similar in that we had snow drifts but the drifting in 1982 was far more serious/widespread and the snow lasted much longer.

A video on YouTube shows the snow in Ratoath, only a few km from where I live. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLzvI_wxW3U
I was just 7 not far from you (Garristown, 120 m amsl) and remember being able to almost touch the telegraph wires when standing on top of some of the drifts along the road. Cars buried for I don't know how long. My sister went across the fields to the shop but got lost in the whiteout and my father only found her a couple of hours later. Last March was the closest I've witnessed since.
11-01-2019, 00:00   #18
galvo_clare

I was 14 and we borrowed a cousin’s house for a weekend in Dublin.
For some reason we mustn’t have expected the snow and nothing in the house but flour. My ever resourceful mother made scones and that was all we had to eat for a day.

The neighbours turned out to be mostly teachers so weren’t bothered that the estate was completely snowed in but when they realised we had to get back to Clare everybody mucked in to dig us out and get us to the road.
I remember travelling down in convoy with another Clare car (an Alfasud)! God knows how we knew we were both in Dublin in pre
mobile days.

Happy memories.

Last edited by galvo_clare; 11-01-2019 at 00:18.
(6) thanks from:
11-01-2019, 00:35   #19
madmaggie

I walked to the local shop a mile away. Halfway there I was met by a wall of snow across the road. I had to climb up on the ditch, cross two fields, then climb down the ditch back onto the road. Repeated the same on the way home. Some of the local men were standing around chatting, looking at me, not one offered a hand.
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 00:37   #20
alexmalalex

All I remember, being 2 or 3, is that the snow level was higher than I was...
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-01-2019, 00:45   #21
Flesh Gorden

Here's a link to that PDF someone tried to attach to their post:

https://www.met.ie/cms/assets/upload...n1982_snow.pdf
13-01-2019, 22:21   #22
_Brian

Walked daily four miles to our out farm and we were poking sticks down through the snow to see where the buried cars were under where we were walking.

I know there was quite a while of drudgery feeding cattle without the tractor as it couldn’t manage the snow at all.
(3) thanks from:
Yesterday, 07:56   #23
To Alcohol

Had to abandon the car outside Goff’s on the N7 and walk the rest of the way home to Naas. Came back a day later to see if it could be dug out but for the life of me I couldn’t find the car.

With the depth of the snow drift it took some time before realising I was standing on the car!

Think it was the drifting of the snow in 82 that made it so memorable.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion