Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Ashes 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The late declaration is a pretty poor mistake. England chase 398 ? Nooo, chase 350 ? Noooo chance so what the fûck is the Aussie captain and management team doing wasting scores of overs, they should have set a realistic target 320 say and got stuck properly into England tonight. If England were 70-3 tonight at stumps Australia are thinking....we fancy this, and they should. But as a cricket fan they have pissed me off....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Strumms wrote: »
    The late declaration is a pretty poor mistake. England chase 398 ? Nooo, chase 350 ? Noooo chance so what the fûck is the Aussie captain and management team doing wasting scores of overs, they should have set a realistic target 320 say and got stuck properly into England tonight. If England were 70-3 tonight at stumps Australia are thinking....we fancy this, and they should. But as a cricket fan they have pissed me off....

Agree 100% declaration was way too late if chasing a win, an England collapse remains a possibility, but they could have easily declared, as you say, leaving England with a nominal 320-350 and had a good go at them tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Paine gone OTT and played too safe, should have stuck Eng in at least half hour ago. Outside fear of losing has overcome desire to win. Sad. Won't have any sympathy if they come up short tomorrow.

Everybody prob right, more than likely too consertive by Aussies. If England's top order take shine off ball and England Batted very well and we're 240 or 260/3 ish at tea time, people might say, mmm, shuda batted longer.

Maybe he shuda declared earlier but as captain he has a lot more to weigh up. Some of England's batsmen can score fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Guffy wrote: »
    Sorry for being a dunce but why wouldn't Australia want to win?

It's more a question that the fear of losing seems to have outweighed the desire to win. They could have declared with a c 340 lead in & around 5pm and had 20+ overs against Eng at close of play. Instead Paine has played safe, staying longer at the crease, scoring more runs that he needs, just to put the loss out of the equation. Bit like Trappatoni's tactics for our soccer team when he was about :)

But who knows, cricket can throw up all sorts of improbable results. If they get a full days play tomorrow, Aussies still have a reasonable chance of securing the 10 wickets. Eng will have to balance batting too defensively against being a touch too reckless, so will require a lot of patience on their part. Eng could also throw caution to the winds for a while and go for it, with attacking fields they could score boundaries easily, but always with the chance of losing wickets...

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭nice bit of green

So an English win at a ground they expected to win at is nigh on impossible so Australia is doing well. They get a draw at worst, although i’d love to see a winner tmw either way. Decent start from Oz. Smith is quality.
    I have expressed boredom at test cricket in the past, and surely will do so in the future, but the ashes has been off to a flier. Impossible to pick a winner thus far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

Before the test I had this marked down as an easy England win as this aussie group haven't won in edgebaston since 2001 and at 122/8 it looked only a matter time and now we have lads giving out cause of the big declaration. I say the Aussies are delighted, it's a ground they hate, they got spanked in the world cup so to get a draw at worst is a great result with a fresh Mitchell starc to come in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Maybe there is no chance of a result in this Test anyhow, I believe the weather is awful for tomorrow around Birmingham. Perhaps that's why the Aussies decided on batting so long?

Edit: BBC forecast for Birmingham tomorrow: https://www.bbc.com/weather/2655603

cosatron wrote: »
    Before the test I had this marked down as an easy England win as this aussie group haven't won in edgebaston since 2001 and at 122/8 it looked only a matter time and now we have lads giving out cause of the big declaration. I say the Aussies are delighted, it's a ground they hate, they got spanked in the world cup so to get a draw at worst is a great result with a fresh Mitchell starc to come in

Yes, it’s pretty unlikely or extremely unlikely that Australia can loose. There is a chance although somewhat unlikely too that Australia could win. The Aussies are holding the cards, they know pretty much they can’t loose so they should just go out tomorrow and for the first hour ATTACK. If they can rattle out three English batsmen before lunch there will be nerves a plenty. I don’t think the English can do any more then say...”ok we’ll go out, throw the bat at it for 45 and put a few runs up hopefully no wickets down and see.

If it’s say 100-3 at lunch I think it’s game over, too risky to try and force the type of run rate needed from there. I’m all for risk and adventure but with 3 recognized batsmen left its suicide.

I think knowing Root he will be prepared to waste a couple early but after that it’s defend. The result puts a huge momentum to whomever wins IF anyone wins which is why going to bed tonight, the draw will be a comforting thought to both captains.

Still....if Anderson hadn’t had got injured and the rest of the lads were more potent here it was all England.

Maybe there is no chance of a result in this Test anyhow, I believe the weather is awful for tomorrow around Birmingham. Perhaps that's why the Aussies decided on batting so long?

Edit: BBC forecast for Birmingham tomorrow: https://www.bbc.com/weather/2655603

Thanks, yeah going by that link the weather has improved greatly, look like any rain is extremely improbable.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,286 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It has the potential for a cracking day if England can buckle down in the first session

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Burns done by a bit of extra bounce. Caught up on him and couldn’t get out of the way of it.

Could be a cracking day alright.

A real good shorter delivery to get rid of Burns, no too much he could have done aside from play attacking shot, seemed to misread the bounce like he thought it kept lowerthen the length suggested.

Jesus 12 excellent overs so far from an Aussie point of view. On point each delivery with line and length and fast too. Even singles looking difficult now to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

that second root review how has the upmire given that out it was a clear inside edge

very bad calls in this test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Two dreadful calls this morning tbf

Umpires are just guessing LBW calls this whole test.

It’s as if they’re getting used to the technology being there to save them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

...and the umpire gets done by root there he made no attempt to play that shot

I don’t like the sight of Aleem Dar explaining to Nathan Lyon on the back of an ‘aggressive’ appeal why he didn’t give it out. Gesturing and explaining with his arms that a shot was being played and inviting a comeback from Lyon which he got. A shake of the head, not out, ignore any further interaction and if Lyon keeps at it, remind him where his match fee might be going.

I don’t like the sight of Aleem Dar explaining to Nathan Lyon on the back of an ‘aggressive’ appeal why he didn’t give it out. Gesturing and explaining with his arms that a shot was being played and inviting a comeback from Lyon which he got. A shake of the head, not out, ignore any further interaction and if Lyon keeps at it, remind him where his match fee might be going.

Yeah it’s something I can’t recall him doing as much of before the World Cup. In the shorter forms you sometimes see the umpires getting a bit more involved and relaxed with their attitude which I think is fair enough but I think he’s carried the habit with him. You’re seeing him point to the leg side the odd time now whenever he feels the ball is slipping past the wickets on leg before calls.

All that said, I don’t have a massive issue with it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Poor by Roy there.

• Advertisement

Jason Roy forgot he was playing a test match too......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Dear oh dear, Jason Roy. What was that?

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Yeah it’s something I can’t recall him doing as much of before the World Cup. In the shorter forms you sometimes see the umpires getting a bit more involved and relaxed with their attitude which I think is fair enough but I think he’s carried the habit with him. You’re seeing him point to the leg side the odd time now whenever he feels the ball is slipping passed the wickets on leg before calls.

All that said, I don’t have a massive issue with it myself.

By doing it he is setting a precedent, not just this match but the sport. If I’m an umpire colleague of his at home watching with a beer in my hand I’m shouting ‘Dar tell him to STFU’ knowing well that he is only putting pressure on the rest of his umpire colleagues. It’s not in the spirit of the game, I don’t like to see it, it’s not sporting. Umpire says no, get back to your mark and go again.

VillaMad wrote: »
    Dear oh dear, Jason Roy. What was that?

Rush of blood to the head, I can’t fathom what he was attempting to do, especially given how the game is poised...if England somehow should loose here I’d say there would be a few dirty looks his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Terrible review by Denly. It was a thick edge.

Can't see England surviving the day, Australia are bowling too well.

By doing it he is setting a precedent, not just this match but the sport. If I’m an umpire colleague of his at home watching with a beer in my hand I’m shouting ‘Dar tell him to STFU’ knowing well that he is only putting pressure on the rest of his umpire colleagues. It’s not in the spirit of the game, I don’t like to see it, it’s not sporting. Umpire says no, get back to your mark and go again.

I think it could be part of the efforts to make Test cricket more of a spectacle for the viewer. Umpires arguably have a bit more name recognition already than they used to, and having them show their own personality could be seen as a way of adding an extra layer to it. You see something similar in rugby. I’d fall on the side that the referee/umpire should be as inconspicuous as possible and allow the game to hold its own but I’m sure there are others who feel differently.

Pure conjecture from myself with nothing to base it on I should stress, but the ICC have responded in other ways to the apparent decline in Test cricket interest outside the big 3 markets. They obviously can’t tinker too much with the rules otherwise it’s no longer Test cricket, but they can “borrow” some things from the shorter forms to try and make it appear more “modern”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Is that Kumar Sangakkara commentating? Very impressed by him.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    I’d fall on the side that the referee/umpire should be as inconspicuous as possible and allow the game to hold its own but I’m sure there are others who feel differently.

Pure conjecture from myself with nothing to base it on I should stress, but the ICC have responded in other ways to the apparent decline in Test cricket interest outside the big 3 markets. They obviously can’t tinker too much with the rules otherwise it’s no longer Test cricket, but they can “borrow” some things from the shorter forms to try and make it appear more “modern”.

Truth, like any sport the umpires and officials are there to enable the game, enforce the rules and ensure fair play. Really to drag them into some kind of ‘entertainment role’ Not for me, the players have that responsibility.

As regards Lyon, I’ve listened to him being interviewed and seems like quite a nice guy, but I’m no fan of his on field persona.

England really needed to get to lunch only three down, yet another poor shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Eng in deep doo-daa now - only weather can save them, you'd think at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

BOHtox wrote: »
    Is that Kumar Sangakkara commentating? Very impressed by him.
    Yea. His excellent. Very insightful

Advertisement