Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
21-11-2017, 00:04   #1
Richard Hillman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,818
Ashes 17-18

I find it ridiculous that England are being dubbed "underdogs" for this series.

In this series England have:
Their greatest ever opening Batsman (Cook)
A guy that is showing all signs of being their greatest ever Batsman (Root)
TBC: A guy that has matched Flintoff and Botham in stats as an all-rounder and may be deemed England's greatest ever all-rounder (Stokes)
England's greatest ever Keeper batsman (Bairstow)
England's greatest ever Bowler (Anderson) along with England's greatest ever opening bowling tandem with Broad.

Added to that, the deepest ever batting line-up in Test Cricket history with Ali and Woakes in the lineup


All of this playing against the worst Australian squad of my lifetime? If they don't win it will be a disaster.
Richard Hillman is offline  
Advertisement
21-11-2017, 13:36   #2
Mr. Guappa
Registered User
 
Mr. Guappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Hillman View Post
I find it ridiculous that England are being dubbed "underdogs" for this series.

In this series England have:
Their greatest ever opening Batsman (Cook)
A guy that is showing all signs of being their greatest ever Batsman (Root)
TBC: A guy that has matched Flintoff and Botham in stats as an all-rounder and may be deemed England's greatest ever all-rounder (Stokes)
England's greatest ever Keeper batsman (Bairstow)
England's greatest ever Bowler (Anderson) along with England's greatest ever opening bowling tandem with Broad.

Added to that, the deepest ever batting line-up in Test Cricket history with Ali and Woakes in the lineup


All of this playing against the worst Australian squad of my lifetime? If they don't win it will be a disaster.
I don't know enough about the current Australian side to comment on their standing, but England have huge questions throughout the line up.

2, 3 and 5 have been problem positions for them for years at this stage, so it looks again like if Cook and Root don't score then England will be out cheaply.
Who knows if Stokes will feature later in the series but he's a huge loss, and it remains to be seen how the English bowling will fare in Aussie conditions. They could do with a Mark Wood type.
Mr. Guappa is offline  
21-11-2017, 15:34   #3
Mr. Guappa
Registered User
 
Mr. Guappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,235
Just realised that this is on BT Sport. Damn it. Should have copped that earlier given the lack of build up coverage on Sky.
Mr. Guappa is offline  
21-11-2017, 22:50   #4
Inquitus
Registered User
 
Inquitus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guappa View Post
Just realised that this is on BT Sport. Damn it. Should have copped that earlier given the lack of build up coverage on Sky.
Aye I despise BT Sports, in breaking up the monopoly Sky had on sports you now need to pay twice as much for the 2 options, or stream illegally. This is happening across the board now, Netflix has lost content, now you have Hulu, HBO etc. streaming channel, it just makes it worse for use the subscriber by forcing you to pay more to get the same or pay the same for less. It can't be sustainable long term though, as they not many people seem willing to for for the former option and pay twice as much to get the same content as they did before the market diversified.
Inquitus is offline  
(2) thanks from:
22-11-2017, 19:15   #5
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 7,424
Is this the Ashes where the Ashes themselves become ashes ? A sporting irrelevance, lost in the niche accessibility of yet another pay TV channel that damn all people have access to ? The end game for one of the one time glories of the world of sport?
Already an event that harked back to Age of Innocence of sport, Empire, gentlemen, tradition, skill, tactic, drama, it has been slowing dying since its move to Sky and ever darkening obscurity as the last few £ and its life were squeezed out of it. Now, having reach the critical point of public indifference and collapse to a black hole. There is a sense of a once mega movie star, being treated by the media as a mega movie star, yet the wider people asking 'who?'.
It is a sad state of affairs. May have to root out my old VHS of 'Bodyline', or highlights of 2005 - the last last glorious kick from this former titan.
The Rape of Lucretia is offline  
Advertisement
22-11-2017, 20:24   #6
Aegir
Registered User
 
Aegir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquitus View Post
Aye I despise BT Sports, in breaking up the monopoly Sky had on sports you now need to pay twice as much for the 2 options, or stream illegally. This is happening across the board now, Netflix has lost content, now you have Hulu, HBO etc. streaming channel, it just makes it worse for use the subscriber by forcing you to pay more to get the same or pay the same for less. It can't be sustainable long term though, as they not many people seem willing to for for the former option and pay twice as much to get the same content as they did before the market diversified.
its free if you are with Eir
Aegir is offline  
Thanks from:
22-11-2017, 20:33   #7
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 7,424
Sadly not.
The Rape of Lucretia is offline  
22-11-2017, 22:58   #8
Itssoeasy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 28,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Guappa View Post
Just realised that this is on BT Sport. Damn it. Should have copped that earlier given the lack of build up coverage on Sky.
Why is this ? I'm right in thinking that Sky still have other England cricket and other test matches and ODIs ?
Itssoeasy is offline  
22-11-2017, 23:01   #9
Itssoeasy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 28,198


An Ashes classic.
Itssoeasy is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-11-2017, 23:03   #10
Royale with Cheese
Registered User
 
Royale with Cheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,311
3 minutes in and BT are already annoying me.
Royale with Cheese is offline  
22-11-2017, 23:05   #11
Itssoeasy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 28,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royale with Cheese View Post
3 minutes in and BT are already annoying me.
BBC Five live are doing a build up from now until it starts(well they are actually covering the full first day) but if you're in Ireland it will block you.
Itssoeasy is offline  
22-11-2017, 23:08   #12
Beasty
Put that light out!
 
Beasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 37,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itssoeasy View Post
Why is this ? I'm right in thinking that Sky still have other England cricket and other test matches and ODIs ?
They have the rights to cover matches in England and Wales until 2024, but the BBC are getting some rights back from 2020
Beasty is offline  
Thanks from:
22-11-2017, 23:10   #13
Royale with Cheese
Registered User
 
Royale with Cheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,311
I haven't seen enough of Australia lately to really make an informed judgement, but it's obvious why nobody fancies England.

Far too many question marks in their batting lineup, no guarantee an ageing Anderson will fire in these conditions, Broad coming in off a relatively quiet season, their star all rounder still at home, and a generally poor record overall in Australia.

Stokes really is a big loss, would make a huge difference if he were there. If England are to do anything they will need some of the inexperienced players to come to the fore and probably for Australia to have a few bad games.
Royale with Cheese is offline  
22-11-2017, 23:17   #14
Harry Palmr
Registered User
 
Harry Palmr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 34,584
I'll listen to the opening overs on BBC Four LW. As for the Ashes, unless this turns out to be a particularly well contested and/or controversial series then it's unlikely to make much of an impression "at home" when there isn't even a proper FTA highlights package to watch.
Harry Palmr is offline  
22-11-2017, 23:19   #15
y0ssar1an22
Registered User
 
y0ssar1an22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,247
who are the pundits on bt?
y0ssar1an22 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet