Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Would you support big change in RTE?
No, Things are fine the way they are 53 3.13%
Yes, Reduce salaries of presenters 473 27.91%
Yes, Reduce the number of channels, services, staff as well as reduce salaries of presenters 690 40.71%
Scrap RTE altogether 479 28.26%
Voters: 1695. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
18-09-2019, 10:35   #2521
Boggles
Registered User
 
Boggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 24,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFrank123 View Post
ITV made a massive profit this year. A bad comparison.

These companies are commercial entities who know how to make money in good times and bad by offering TV content that people want to watch.

RTE should try it sometime.

Its not as if RTE programs are hugely expensive to produce. Most of them are based on guests from the canteen or radio shows like Liveline.

Its mystifying why RTE cannot turn a profit.

In terms of making money from competitions it was a perfect comparison.

What is a bad comparison is comparing a State Broadcaster in totality with one that isn't.

Silly really, you might as well have compared it with Netflix, which incidentally has been done more than once on this thread.
Boggles is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-09-2019, 10:38   #2522
ToBeFrank123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggles View Post
In terms of making money from competitions it was a perfect comparison.

What is a bad comparison is comparing a State Broadcaster in totality with one that isn't.

Silly really, you might as well have compared it with Netflix, which incidentally has been done more than once on this thread.
You are the one repeatedly saying RTE are a commercial entity. If they are, they are doing a terrible job at it.

Lyric FM as an example have a number of high paid presenters doing a job that could easily be automated. People largely only want to hear the music.
ToBeFrank123 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
18-09-2019, 10:41   #2523
AndyBoBandy
Moderator
 
AndyBoBandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggles View Post
If it is pulling in circa 5 million a year, surely that is a good thing, no?
It is a good thing, but my point is they receive the licence fee, as well as their commercial revenue plus the additional income from these competitions, yet still operate at a loss. (I plucked €5m out of the air, it could be €2m, or it could be €20m, we don't know as they won't tell us because it's commercially sensitive!!)

They have additional sources of revenue that they will not disclose, yet still demand more.

How are independent broadcasters ever going to compete with that?
AndyBoBandy is online now  
(3) thanks from:
18-09-2019, 10:43   #2524
McGaggs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercheribini View Post
With the amount of rights to sporting events theyve lost over the last few years, surely they should have a massive cost surplus in that area, never gets mentioned.
They have said they've reduced their operational costs..
McGaggs is offline  
Thanks from:
18-09-2019, 10:43   #2525
Boggles
Registered User
 
Boggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 24,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFrank123 View Post
You are the one repeatedly saying RTE are a commercial entity. If they are, they are doing a terrible job at it.
RTE are a state broadcast with a commercial arm and a remit to make money to offset costs.

They are bound by terms and conditions re programming that private operators in other countries why are not.

The comparison is nonsensical.
Boggles is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-09-2019, 10:43   #2526
McGaggs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggles View Post
I don't really see the problem, how they are any different to the likes of Virgin, Channel 4 or ITV?

Their remit is to earn money to offset costs.

If it is pulling in circa 5 million a year, surely that is a good thing, no?
I agree with you here, this is a good thing that they should be doing. Even better if the show has a sponsor that give them the prize.
McGaggs is offline  
18-09-2019, 10:45   #2527
Boggles
Registered User
 
Boggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 24,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBoBandy View Post
How are independent broadcasters ever going to compete with that?
Sky seem to be doing all right, as do Netflix, as do the whole weight of British television beemed for free into Ireland the past 20+ years.

I think you are looking at it arséways.

How is the State Broadcaster supposed to compete with all that should be the question posed. IMHO.
Boggles is offline  
Thanks from:
18-09-2019, 10:50   #2528
ToBeFrank123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggles View Post
In terms of making money from competitions it was a perfect comparison.

What is a bad comparison is comparing a State Broadcaster in totality with one that isn't.

Silly really, you might as well have compared it with Netflix, which incidentally has been done more than once on this thread.
RTEs job is to make money, we are agreed on that. Its also their job not to waste money by sending massive numbers of staff to events like the Ploughing Championship with duplication of roles. This is an example of waste.

They are also clearly using licence fee money to supplement presenters salaries, paying them well above the going rate for similar roles in Ireland. The market is not dictating salaries at RTE, salaries are dictated by RTEs advantage with the Licence fee.
ToBeFrank123 is offline  
18-09-2019, 10:52   #2529
McGaggs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFrank123 View Post
ITV made a massive profit this year. A bad comparison.

These companies are commercial entities who know how to make money in good times and bad by offering TV content that people want to watch.

RTE should try it sometime.

Its not as if RTE programs are hugely expensive to produce. Most of them are based on guests from the canteen or radio shows like Liveline.

Its mystifying why RTE cannot turn a profit.
From their annual report, it looks like their own programmes are massively more expensive than their bought in stuff.
McGaggs is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-09-2019, 10:53   #2530
McGaggs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBoBandy View Post
It is a good thing, but my point is they receive the licence fee, as well as their commercial revenue plus the additional income from these competitions, yet still operate at a loss. (I plucked €5m out of the air, it could be €2m, or it could be €20m, we don't know as they won't tell us because it's commercially sensitive!!)

They have additional sources of revenue that they will not disclose, yet still demand more.

How are independent broadcasters ever going to compete with that?
If they make a loss on those competitions...
McGaggs is offline  
18-09-2019, 10:54   #2531
Beta Ray Bill
Subscriber
 
Beta Ray Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggles View Post
Sorry who exactly is forcing you to have equipment capable of receiving RTE?.
In 2019, this has to be the loosest criteria for Tax in Ireland (If not Europe)

Every single device out there is "Smart" now and it capable of viewing RTE.

RTE are clearly concerned now as they realise the government isn't going to come in with a magic wand and make all their debt disappear.
The poll on this thread also shows that Joe Public is fed up with RTE and over 95% believe changes are needed.
There will be an election very soon and no party want something like a "Media Tax" as part of there election campaign.

RTE needs to cut it's cloth, it's that simple.
They want to sell even more land now to just "pay wages" instead of making people redundant or investing in new kit. IE it's dead money.

They have 6 TV channels, 10 Radio Stations, 2 Orchestras, 2 Choirs and Vanbrugh Quartet

We really don't need all that!!!!
Beta Ray Bill is offline  
18-09-2019, 10:58   #2532
Boggles
Registered User
 
Boggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 24,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToBeFrank123 View Post
RTEs job is to make money, we are agreed on that. Its also their job not to waste money by sending massive numbers of staff to events like the Ploughing Championship with duplication of roles. This is an example of waste.
Again as I have all ready pointed out to you more than once, how do you know that not sending sponsored shows to Irelands largest event wouldn't have cost them commercial revenue?

An answer this time would be nice.
Boggles is offline  
Thanks from:
18-09-2019, 10:58   #2533
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 114
I'm kind of surprised that the government didn't cave in and give RTE the 55 million licence fee increase that they want, because the government caved in quickly for an post when they came looking for a stamp price increase.
Doblin is offline  
Thanks from:
18-09-2019, 11:01   #2534
AndyBoBandy
Moderator
 
AndyBoBandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggles View Post
Sky seem to be doing all right, as do Netflix
Both subscription services that rely on subscriptions as their main source of income.
Also the British TV argument is also invalid as they are in a market with 60 million people (we have less than 10% of this), so the commercial revenue streams open to them are 10 times higher than in Ireland.

So both examples are completely irrelevant in this discussion.
AndyBoBandy is online now  
(3) thanks from:
18-09-2019, 11:01   #2535
tylercheribini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doblin View Post
I'm kind of surprised that the government didn't cave in and give RTE the 55 million licence fee increase that they want, because the government caved in quickly for an post when they came looking for a stamp price increase.
In fairness though with An Post they did make some extremely unpopular cuts in return, RTE are still clinging for dear life to their sacred cows.
tylercheribini is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet